• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dry Tortugas

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Dry Tortugas

Post by rcwhite »

Provisioned the boat and left Charlotte Harbor for the Dry Tortugas in the afternoon.
Ran overnight and arrived at sunrise. While it takes a bit of convincing, we both enjoy
the overnight runs once underway:)

Interesting history and a lovely stop. Hope to bring company on a return trip sometime.
Even better, no cell service!
IMG_2999.JPG
IMG_3003.JPG
IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3002.JPG
When we were anchoring we noticed the boat behind us was one me met in the Dismal Swamp coming
down the coast last fall. Small world:)
IMG_3008.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG
Was visiting the next day and we left together for the Marquesas after lunch. A bit
sloppy with the 15kt trades but a pretty ride just the same.
Anchored in the lee and walked the shore in the evening and again in the
morning before heading out. Still no cell service...life is good.

We continued on to Johnston Key. Nice quiet place to anchor north
of Sugarloaf key. No place to walk but good swimming off the boat.

From there we went north and anchored in the gulf off of Cape Romano.
Good swimming and a beach to walk. Ruth collected some driftwood which
is a bit unusual down this way.

The domes are the remainder of a house that was once at the tip of the Cape.
Interesting reading and something to remember when looking at the houses still being built at the tips of the barriers.
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3023.JPG
North to pick up the ICW around Ft Myers. Quiet travel is now over.
Spent the night at Cayo Costa and had a nice long walk and beach day
before heading up the river to tie up and rejoin the world.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Dry Tortugas

Post by Norseman »

Do you need a dinghy to get to shore, or is there dockage available?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcwhite »

No dockage, services, or provisions. You need to come prepared to be self sufficient.
We did see a sportfish (charter?) drop passengers off at the ferry dock before it arrived
but they had to get rides back out to the boat from the other boaters with tenders.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

rcwhite wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:25 pm No dockage, services, or provisions. You need to come prepared to be self sufficient.
We did see a sportfish (charter?) drop passengers off at the ferry dock before it arrived
but they had to get rides back out to the boat from the other boaters with tenders.
Ok, we are self sufficient but don’t carry a dink.
Only anchoring available, but drop people on and pick up from a dock is doable?
(Not looking for overnight docking)
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcwhite »

Not something I would plan on myself. Ferry ties up for the day. On an earlier 26’ boat we had a 8’ roll up. Stored easily in its bag and was small enough we could keep it in the cockpit inflated when traveling any distance. Worked well enough for us with a couple of toddlers but not something you wanted to row a long distance:)
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

rcwhite wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:53 pm Not something I would plan on myself. Ferry ties up for the day. On an earlier 26’ boat we had a 8’ roll up. Stored easily in its bag and was small enough we could keep it in the cockpit inflated when traveling any distance. Worked well enough for us with a couple of toddlers but not something you wanted to row a long distance:)
We had a brand new 8’6” dink and 3.5 hp motor for the Albin 28TE but never used the rig and never installed davits. Sold the boat and motor a few months ago, but on previous boats we had all kinds of tenders and were really self sufficient, including a 9’ Dyer Dhow sailing dink with centerboard, rudder, oars, etc. used it 2 years before I bought a little 2 hp Yamaha. Had fun sailing and rowing but at 29 years old, everything is cool and not a problem. Now I am too old, too heavy and too unstable to jump in and out of small dinks 10-15 times a day.
So, can’t enjoy the Fort without a dink...? :shock:

Return to “Cruising”