• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6 days on Penobscot Bay, Me

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

2manyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Florida-Maine and in-between

6 days on Penobscot Bay, Me

Post by 2manyboats »

Finally got the time to complete some finishing touches to our A25fc. The hardtop makes a great foul weather enclosure but you need to be 25 years old to climb in and out through the window openings. A hatch was the anserwer but a rainy June and busy July put our cruising plans on hold.

Aug 18th we launched in Stockton Springs Harbor, Me with a planned voyage of 8 Days. One of the two new house batteries developed problem. I think it shorted internally. Both are L-16s and suddenly they were draining rapidly and smelled of hydrogen-sulfate.

So our trip was cut short by a couple of days. Not all was lost because we had a great time, lobster feast, crystal clear nights and beautiful sunrises. (which is my favorite time of day, Hence our boat is named First Light)
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
First Light
25 Albin FC
38 Beta
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

Re: 6 days on Penobscot Bay, Me

Post by glk34 »

I am really interested in the hardtop. Did you do the install or is it one of the west coast kits? We have a couple of A25s here in NB Canada and we are looking at the extended hardtop design. Your boat looks great. What does it have for an engine?

Chris
Iron Jack
2manyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 2manyboats »

The boat was restored in 2011-2012. It was repowered with the Beta 38. The hardtop I beleive was a custom build, marine plywood with a hatch over the helm. The cabin floor at the helm was raised level with the engine box. With hatch open you can stand and look out.

I liked the hardtop, but crawling in and out through the windows was uncomfortable, so I opened up the aft starboard corner of the top and built a hinged hatch. I also built two steps leading down to the settee. We now board the swim platform, up the aft rail which I modified, and walk easily over the aft cabin roof and no more acrobatics to get below.

We are located just south of Bangor if you would like to see the boat and take notes. It was pretty well thought out when rebuilt. We will be headed to florida later this month

Thanks for the compliments

Wayne
First Light
25 Albin FC
38 Beta
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

2manyboats, I would love to see your pics of how your lid was modified for easy access. We could swing up and take a look since we are not far from Portland...oh wait, that's Portland, Oregon. Never mind.

I agree that the side entry is a pain with the hardtop, and not getting easier. I have the full BC hardtop, fiberglass and I am handy with tools, good thing since I am not handsome. There is one in Everett, recently from BC that has a custom aluminum top with hinged openings on both sides. Very nice.
You got a good one. Happy boating!
2manyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 2manyboats »

WillieC; Thanks for the compliments. My wife and I are late sixties and it was just a matter of time before one of us lost our grip on the hardtop while trying to shinny through the opening, and ended up in the drink. Plus no more leg cramps, backaches and pulled muscles after each entry or exit.
First Light
25 Albin FC
38 Beta

Return to “Cruising”