• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Chesapeake Bay - Little Wicomico to Annapolis

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Chesapeake Bay - Little Wicomico to Annapolis

Post by Bearkeley »

Thought we'd share the video we created highlighting our maiden voyage on MaryJo (27 FC - modified). We spent 2 nites on the hook to get to Annapolis (2 hour by car normally), 7 nites at a marina while attending the boat shows and Cruisers University (highly recommend it) and two more beautiful nights on the hook back home.

We found Mary Jo thru this group...thanks to this group, DCatSea (who took us on our first Albin ride when we were shopping around) and especially CapVic (who spent soundless hours to 'make' Mary Jo such an amazing boat and entrusting her to us!), we had our first, of hopefully many, amazing cruising experiences. We have the bug! Thank you all!

https://youtu.be/s4_7eizdnBQ
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Chesapeake Bay - Little Wicomico to Annapolis

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Looks like you guys had a great time! We were planning on a making a similar trip but an unplanned deposed and full mech overhaul put the breaks on that this year!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Jeremyvmd wrote:Looks like you guys had a great time! We were planning on a making a similar trip but an unplanned deposed and full mech overhaul put the breaks on that this year!
At least you'll be in great shape next year! PM us when you are in the area. Great fishing spots around here as well!
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Bearkley, that is a great video! THAT is what dinking around in our Albins is all about. I keep telling myself that I need to listen to more U2 and this is why.
Thank you!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Nice video! Always glad to hear stories of Chesapeake cruising. A suggestion for a future trip if I may (might be too late for this fall season, but perhaps next spring?). How about a 35 mile run up the Nanticoke River to Blades, DE with a stop in Vienna, MD or overnight at Bivalve? Visit the fine folks at the Nanticoke River Yacht Club in Blades. Happy hour on Wednesdays & dinners on Friday night at the yacht club at the marina in Blades. Overnight guest slips available. Tell them Lee's son Steve sent you.

Brings back memories of our own 2015 Chesapeake Cruise.

Fast forward this video to the 13 minute mark for the Chesapeake portion of our East coast cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67QqvVgwgz8
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Great vidio! Gives me incentive to get my 27fc in the water. I'm up in the northern part of the bay on the Easternshore
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Sprig1 wrote:Great vidio! Gives me incentive to get my 27fc in the water. I'm up in the northern part of the bay on the Easternshore
Same here! Let us know if you are ever by Smith Point....hope to meet you at the Rendezvous, if not sooner!
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Great video, can't wait to get back on the water- if only the weather will cooperate up here in the NE! Did notice that "Mary Jo" doesn't seem to have a bow rail - did you remove it? If so why?
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Marcy K wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:58 pm Great video, can't wait to get back on the water- if only the weather will cooperate up here in the NE! Did notice that "Mary Jo" doesn't seem to have a bow rail - did you remove it? If so why?
Thanks! It was a great first trip...I guess not bad for a first video too :-). Yes, Mary Jo doesn't have the bow rail. We bought her after reading about all the great work done on her from this forum. CapVic, who did all the work on her felt that bow rails give boaters a false sense of security (low profile and weight), not to mention that she looks better without it. At 6.5 knots, we love sitting up front when it's not too choppy and have learned to hang on to ropes that we tie off to the side railings as we travel forward when the boat is running....
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Marcy K »

Bearkeley,

"Mary Jo" does look sleek and beautiful, but let me share a story for food for thought about not having a bow rail.

We were on our A 27 and traveling to Block Island from Long Island Sound and had to transit "The Race" where seas are often confused and big. There was a big standing wave that ripped our anchor off the pulpit, leaving it dangling down just a bit. The seas were rough and I had to go out to secure that anchor. Made it out to the bow holding on to the hand rails, then sitting down and moving the rest of the way to the pulpit on my bottom, holding on to the stanchions. I made it to the anchor and pulled it back up, tying it to the sampson post and the stanchions. We made it to BI, but it was a stressful 5 hour trip! I felt very glad to have that bow rail.
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Marcy K - thanks for sharing....sounds scary! Always one hand on the boat right? Perfect example! Yeah, if we had higher rails that are strong, that would be preferred. Without it though, the ropes we put along the side and the bow have come in handy....but fortunately, nothing like your rails did for you!
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Marcy K »

The railing helped with an emergency release of the anchor when the engine overheated as we approached Plum Gut in Long Island Sound too. I can't really picture your ropes but if you can use them in adverse conditions and feel safe, then that's what counts. Good luck and enjoy her, the 2017 boating season is finally upon us!
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA

Return to “Cruising”