• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

First offshore trip of the season

Moderator: RobS

taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape May, NJ

First offshore trip of the season

Post by taggteam »

I've been chomping at the bit to try out these shiny new outriggers....
Left the dock just before 3AM, cleared the Cape May inlet and jutted a bit south to avoid the parade of boats headed to the Hot Dog/Masseys Canyon area....as that's where there had been a good Yellowfin bite.

Set the autopilot...dimmed the GPS and put the radar overlay on with a 1 mile range and sat back in my reclining help chair at 15kts slow night cruise. We hit the fishing grounds just after first light and had a spread of 8 variously rigged.... from natural to large Ilander Lure in the WWWWB position in our search for some Sushi ingredients.

We started at the Hot Dog and worked towards the notch on the 30 line....with a lot of weeds to contend with...and an inexperienced and not so lively crew. We finally saw one boat out of 150 hooked up to what appeared to be a big fish...so we pounded that area for a bit. Boated one dolphin about 10lbs and dropped the hook on a white that was pretty insistent about the flatline baits just outside of the prop wash. He beat them both up pretty good by the time I got to drop him a bait....which he took...but never came tight on. My Girl watched him beat up the baits with his bill....head out of the water several times....which I think is a "first memory" that she'll never forget.

All in all, it was a great day.....boat ran from 3AM to 6PM without a hiccup....
We returned to port, cleaned the boat and the fish, and planned the next nights dinner for all aboard....Mahi Tacos with fresh mango salsa....grilled the Mahi on my Kamado wood fired grill....

The only thing better than catching my first offshore species aboard this boat was the time spent with family and friends...both aboard the boat and after...eating our catch together. Priceless...

I love the smell of Ballyhoo and Diesel smoke in the Morning.....
Last edited by taggteam on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: First offshore trip of the season

Post by taggteam »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Congratulations on a great day fishing. Seeing a billfish working over your spread is a thrill all of you will remember. But fresh mahi makes great table fare. :D
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Good for you,,I'm in Ct and the only time I catch Mahi is in the tropics,,I don't think I'm brave enough to go that far offshore in my 96 te with 21 year old motor,,,yet....
Every season (fourth year I've owned it)this boat impresses me more,,good luck out there !!!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Good job on the mahi and white! ive been hearing good reports from the south of the state but not as much up by me...need to get offshore this year but its not looking good so far:/
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by taggteam »

Yeah Jeremy...the yellowfin bite at the southern lumps in the Hot Dog area is pretty good. I had to do some work around the house this past weekend...and missed a trip. I went down to check on the boat yesterday...and my dockmates were all cleaning YFT from the area.....

Not big fish....25-30 lbs. But...pretty plentiful from what I understand. Hoping to get out soon..
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by taggteam »

So...I finally was able to head back to the shore after weeks of packing...moving...etc. This is the first I had time to refuel after the trip. I'm amazed...The Hot Dog is roughly 60 miles form Cape May. We ran there and back....and trolled at 6.5 knots for 8 hours minimum (call it 50 miles). That's a rough estimate of 170 miles traveled.

My fuel burn was a total of 70 gallons!
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I reset my Furuno GPS after filling and track the NM traveled for fule planning. I use 1.7 NM per gal for on the fly estimates.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"15kts slow night cruise."

Priceless.

(From an A25 swabby.)
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Yes I was running a vessel to Los Cabo at 10 knots non stop from San Diego. I was glad they had night vision binoculars as I do not like running at night. 10 knots was fast enough....
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Oldies But Goodies
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Kemah, Texas

Post by Oldies But Goodies »

We have a 1982 Albin 40. We are located in Kemah, Texas.
My question is this...is this boat capable easily of going down ICW to Freeport, Texas and then out offshore for 30 or 40 miles
to fish for Snapper>? I'm just not sure this is the right kind of boat to do this safely..especially with one motor.

Return to “Fishing”