• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rod Holders 28 TE

Moderator: RobS

Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Rod Holders 28 TE

Post by Pasteur »

The conversation arises from time to time - where do you store your rods on the 28TE? Here's my solution.

I've got 2 sets of the Sea Sucker rod holders that I've placed on the ceiling above the helm and passenger seating. I can fit 6'6" rods comfortably in the space between the curtains and the windshield. I've learned to put larger reels towards the bow so as not to bump my head.

For anyone who is skeptical about suction cups, this is my second season with the arrangement. The rods I carry can vary but I've got a couple of Penn 113s that often come along. The weight isn't an issue. The sea suckers have an indicator for low suction. If they're well placed it takes a week or two befor I have to pump up the suction.

Working from an iPhone...hopefully the photos appear...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Rod Holders 28 TE

Post by DougSea »

Looks good! Thanks for sharing. I wondered how strong the SeaSuckers were.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pasteur »

Doug,

Rather than cutting into the hull I'm also using the Sea Suckers as an on demand grab bar off the stern. I've also built an ensign socket with a large Sea Sucker and a 1" 60 deg bow rail fitting.

I told myself that each of these would be temporary solutions allowing me to find the best arrangement before cutting the holes. But for now I have bigger priorities on the boat and these suction cups are no compromise.

If I have one complaint with the rod holders it's that the holders are suspended below the cup and platform of the sea sucker. This consumes several inches overhead. I intend to fabricate a new holder that solves this issue and simultaneously accommodates more rods.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Great shots, great rods & reals too, thanks for posting. The spring clamp on the companionway door is what I use as well. What is that device mounted on the left side of the dash over the folded door pointing to port? Looks like something clipped onto a cup holder?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pasteur »

Gotta love the attention to detail around here.

1. Thanks regarding the rods and reels. I fish with inexperienced people often. Good reels with a level wind and backlash control make it easier for everyone. Penn 975s and the little Calcutta's. As for rods in the pictures, those are mostly ugly stiks. They're pretty cheap so I don't cringe when the kids reel tackle into the first eye.

2. I don't tend to remove the forward cover so the clamp holds it in place while ensuring that the lousy Velcro doesn't let the leaves open. I wish there was a more elegant solution.

3. That device is a Motorola Roadster Bluetooth to FM converter (in a cup holder). Great for listening to the Sirius XM app across the boat's speakers. And when work interrupts I can have a conference call on one line and a fluke on the other. "Can you repeat the question? I was signing for a package."
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Pasteur wrote:Gotta love the attention to detail around here.
If Rob worked for the NSA nothing would get past him!!
Pasteur wrote:2. I don't tend to remove the forward cover so the clamp holds it in place while ensuring that the lousy Velcro doesn't let the leaves open. I wish there was a more elegant solution.
Maybe not elegant, but I used to use a piece of decent, small line, that I just tied in a loop and dropped over the top of the doors when the were open (the Velcro was worthless). Before that I used one of those small blue bungees that you see in most marine stores. Worked really well.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Fishing”