• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Military Appreciation Day (MAD 8)

Moderator: RobS

Chris & Dale

Military Appreciation Day (MAD 8)

Post by Chris & Dale »

Well Saturday my next door neighbor and I took 2 marines from Camp Lejeune, NC, (1 no-show) out for a day of fishing as part of Military Appreciation Day (MAD). It's on us, they're not allowed to contribute for fuel, bait, etc. It's the 8th such event in Southport, but our first. Over 70 boats took about 180 active duty personnel out. The weather was surprisingly good, considering the forecast. One of them was back a week from Afghanistan.

I have to say they call it fishing (not catching) for a reason. We put 1 legal Blue in the boat and threw away a 1/2 dozen other non-keepers. Dale packed us enough food for the 180, so we certainly didn't go hungry. And the beer was cold and plentiful. When we got back they had a good feed at the Southport Marina. They had a great time and so did we. Here's a picture of us coming into Southport close to the Old Yacht Basin, with the Oak Island Coast Guard Station and Lighthouse in the background.

If you ever get a chance, it will make your heart feel good! A simple thanks for all they do everyday for us!
003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: Military Appreciation Day (MAD 8)

Post by loubennett »

Great idea. Our troops deserve our appreciation. What organization sponsored this? I'm not aware of any similar event here in Annapolis. We are pretty big supporters of the Naval Academy and the Midshipmen. We are also surrounded by military, both active and veterans, but a little kindness goes a long way to let them know we appreciate their efforts. I know I would have when I was on active duty.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Great story and a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

Thanks from this retired Marine and Viet Nam vet We can't do enough for our troops and your generosity will come back to you in many ways. Just wish the fishing had been better!

Return to “Fishing”