• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

trolling

Moderator: RobS

phil havlicek
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: sausalito

trolling

Post by phil havlicek »

looking at a TE w/315 yanmar-I would use the boat primarily for salmon trolling out of the bay area. how well does the boat troll at slower speeds like 2 1/2 knts for salmon or slower for halibut?
thanks, Phil
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: trolling

Post by Carl »

Your best solution would be to have a trolling valve installed. Do not turn the idle down. Only other option is to drag buckets or a drifting sock. I had the valve installed on mine when it was new, and it has worked just fine. There are a few options for the ZF I think, mine is the most simple. Just have to make sure you NEVER go over 1000RPM with the valve engaged. Talk with your ZF rep, he will explain everything you need to know.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
phil havlicek
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: sausalito

Post by phil havlicek »

thanks!
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

I have twin Yanmars with a trolling valve on one of them. When I'm trolling for Salmon, I shut off the starboard engine and troll with the port. It uses 0.4 GPH when fishing. I'm at the Libertyship Marina in Sausalito if you want to take a look at my set-up.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Mike, Assuming you have dripless shaft seals, do you have a cooling water crossover between them?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Ebert »

I'm not sure, I'll check the next time I'm below decks.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Nibbles came with a trolling valve on the starboard engine. It works well with the twin Yanmar's to shut the port down and troll.
No problem for salmon speed. Did find it has the water cool crossover for the engines as well.
I know of a couple 28's with 9.9 outboards on the swim platform with wireless remote steering that work well.
whwells "Howard"
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Phil,
I know many have the trolling valve and they work fine, but I've never been real keen on messing with the transmission, so I went w/the trolling bags from Amish Outfitters. A lot cheaper and you don't risk the tranny. They work fantastic when we go out King fishing and want to slow down to about 2.0 knots or slightly less. Will be using them this coming weekend when we go out on the MAD 9 Fishing Event. Here's a YouTube video of how they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9km9WgxyF-k

Good Luck!
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

I used both and I can tell you using the Yamar 315 engine with the trolling bar worked for salmon but was a PIA at times due to having to always adjust the handle because of tides and going into it and following seas. I was ALWAYS worried about someone on my boat messing with it and or forgetting to disengage it and after running a little at above 1000 RPM you can damage your transmission or total it.

I know of someone who did this on his very first trip on his new boat! My other boat has a Yanmar 440 hp engine with a trolling value and I don't use it because of what I just posted. I now use those bags in the above video. They work great and I only lost one big Salmon on them this season.

The only thing I DONT like about them is you burn a lot more fuel with them. Trolling for Salmon I only burn .3 to .5 gallons per hour with the trolling valve. Using the bags I use 1 gallon to 2 gallons per hour. That's a lot if you are like me and run over 80 salmon trips a season trolling for 4 to 8 hours.

My other boat has a new engine and its all dig so no cables or wire and I had a low speed troll software installed and that works awesome. Volvo also set it up so you cannot go over 1000 RPM while you are in the Low Speed Mode. You have to activate or disactivate it pushing a button on the gear shifter. WORKS GREAT!!
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Ebert »

You can take it down to 1 knot if you want. I just caught a 41# salmon two weeks ago so I guess it trolls OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

nice Salmon Mike! We had 3 this season over 40 pounds and there are still a few more around! I wanted to add that with my 315 hp yanmar I had a red light next to the shifter that went on when the trolling valve was in use. Also I would put a bungee cord around the trolling shifter to make sure we had it off when running.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Mike: Great catch. Don't see many of those anymore, but they are still out there. I fish out of Trinidad high 20's and occasional 30 but a 40 got to say wow!
whwells "Howard"
Jknox0601

Post by Jknox0601 »

I just bought the Nemo (28TE)from Slimjim. It has a Volvo d6-330 engine with the electronic trolling set up he described. We went Salmon fishing for the first time last weekend and limited out for 4 people in just about 3.5 hours fishing. You can really get the boat to slow down, and also vary the speed easily with the electronic trolling feature. works like a charm. By the way, coming back from 20 miles south of the gate the wind kicked up to a solid 25kts with 4-6 foot wind waves. The boat handled like a dream. No pounding, steady 10-11 kts of speed at about 2200 rpm. We only burned about 35 gallons of fuel for the whole trip, which included about 60 miles of running round trip!
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

John Knox: You get a head start on us in the Bay Area. Trinidad in the No. Coast won't open until May 1. My local fisher the Nest/ Osprey 22 is tuned and fully served and ready to fish. The problem is I will be in the NW on opening day. Well we can let the local 6 pack guys find the them and be ready to troll.
whwells "Howard"
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Ebert »

John, I think I saw you down by Half Moon Bay last weekend. It was a nasty ride home fight the swell and the wind wave. Call me when you're out there again and we can help each other get on the fish!
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA

Return to “Fishing”