• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wanted: 36 ET with twins

midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Guilford, CT

Wanted: 36 ET with twins

Post by midnight »

Hi Folks,
I am in the market for a 36 ET with twin Yanmars or the 330 Cummins. I know there are few. There were a handful on the market last year but we weren't ready. I am aware some of you purchased boats with these specs last year, if any of you have buyers remorse or a life change and want to sell....
I have been an Albin owner for the past 13 years and looking to make a change. I currently have a 2005 35CB that is in great condition and previously had a 1989 32 Sportfish. We've had a great times on both vessels but are finding are boating habits have changed. Unfortunately, I'm doing less fishing, although still going offshore for tuna on friends boats. We are doing a lot of cruising and know the 36 ET would suit us better.
So, if any of you ET owners with twins are interested in selling your boat we are ready to buy. Or, if you're possibly considering a faster (19 kt cruise) and more economical (11 gph at cruise) Albin 35CB with a 440 Yanmar, maybe we can work a trade.
Drop me an email if you are interested.....X crossed fingers

Best Regards,
Capt. Chris
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
http://www.thatboatguy.com
Safety First

*Former Boats*
1989 Albin 32 Sportfisher
2005 Albin 35 Command Bridge
1993 Albin 32 Sportfisher
alwsail
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Groton, Ct

Re: Wanted: 36 ET with twins

Post by alwsail »

One in Fla, asking $129k and says try $110k guess it has been on the market for awhile.

http://www.yachtworld.com/privatelabel/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=pp272578&boat_id=2189351&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=11384&url=
midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by midnight »

Thanks for the reply Alwsail,
Funny I just looked at that boat on Friday for the 2nd time. I first looked at it last year in November and it doesn't look any better now. The owner is asking to much for a vessel that is in fair to poor condition. I don't mind taking on a project but the price has to be right. The boat is probably worth 90-100K. Also, I think with the Cummins 270s, which are actually 250 hp SAE, the 270 is metric hp, its under powered. (the 36 ETs with the 330 Cummins are actually 315 hp SAE). Not only that they're pretty rusty and the bilge has oil in it.
Going to keep looking...any thoughts from you 36 ET owners?
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
Safety First

*Former Boats*
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor, WA

Post by arcticspud »

I will sell you mine for...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor, WA

Post by arcticspud »

In all seriousness, good luck in your search. We are impressed with ours. I do wish had had the Cummins 330s though.
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
Boat head
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Hallieford Va

Post by Boat head »

Considering looking at the Florida boat, agree looks rough and overpriced, can you offer any further info. That might be useful.
Cheers Carl in Virginia
midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by midnight »

Hey Carl,
Ya
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
Safety First

*Former Boats*
midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by midnight »

Oooops, didn't finish
Looked at that boat last year at this time, those pictures have got to be 2-3 years old by now. She needs clean up , buff and wax and some maintenance. Electronics are outdated but powered up. The owner started up the engines for me and they sounded ok but don't know what service has been performed. Nice guy but one of those, 'everything is for sale' types. He uses the boat and if it sells great if not he'll continue to use it. If your going to cruise at trawler speeds the 250s will be fine. The gelcoat, both colored and white, is faded and will need compounding or wet sanding or of course a nice new coat of Awlgrip. Not sure about the stringers in this boat, some of the 1999s and 2000s had water intrusion issues and needed stringer replacement.
Our 2005 Command Bridge just sold so we are now back in the hunt for a 36 ET ourselves...
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
Safety First

*Former Boats*
Boat head
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Hallieford Va

Post by Boat head »

Thanks for the update. If you would like the skinny on the one in Maine give me a call.804 725-8108
midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by midnight »

Well guys I have an update for you, we purchased the 1999 Albin 36 ET that was listed in New Jersey this past fall!! Yes this is the boat that sunk on its maiden voyage in the Chesapeake back in 2000. From what I can find out she was back in service 2008 on Long Island, what happened between the sinking and the newer buyer’s survey in 2008 I don’t know. She was then sold to someone else, year not known, who then traded it in 2015 to the marina in Tuckerton, New Jersey who had it listed.

As you know, I’ve been following this model for a couple years but hadn’t been able to find the right one at the right price. In the mean time I had bought a 1993 Albin 32 Sportfisher with no engine as a project boat. Well that boat will now be for sale with a reman Caterpillar with 55 hours on it and 3 years left on a Platinum warranty. But that is for another post….

I first saw the 36 ET listed at 99K then 89K then 79K all in a short time period. I saw some chatter on here about it and decided I should take a look at it. I drove down to Jersey and did a mini survey on it, no soft spots were detected with the hammer but the moisture meter had some pretty high readings in some areas (show me a boat that doesn’t have that and I’ll show you a boat in the showroom). Engine compartment and all under deck areas need clean up, some messy re-wiring has been done and will need clean up. The engines, twin Cummins 220 6Bs are not the originals and already have rust, but started right up. A brand new PHASOR 4.3 generator was installed last year along with two new air conditioning units and 2 new Raymarine Eseries units with radar. Also a new windlass and cockpit shower. All in all the boat is in good overall condition for its age and circumstances. No doubt she needs some effort to bring her up to my standards but that's the fun part.. She has scratches, scuffs, loose wiring, missing cushions, needs new canvas, loose overheads, bad batteries.... this list is long but, she's operational.

So, I lowballed and offered the broker $40,000 for it and to our surprise he countered at $45,000!!!! We thought about it for 1 second and made the purchase!

A couple weeks later I went down and picked her up with a buddy. After changing all the fluids, filters and impellers, checking all the lighting, bilge pumps and safety equipment we put some fresh diesel in her and headed north. She seems to cruise easily at 13-15 kts with fair seas and we made Liberty Landing for dinner. No issues, no leaks. Next day we headed up the Sound and up the Connecticut River, about 110 nm. Again, no leaks, no issues and everything operational.
She is now covered for the winter and resting before some of my rehab and renovation I have performed on all my Albins.

We are very excited to be part of the small 36 ET owners group and will have lots of questions and I'm sure lots of fun with our 4th Albin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
Safety First

*Former Boats*
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Congrats on the new boat. Sounds like you got it for a good price. Left yourself some good room to get her back up to snuff! Look forward to reading about the work your gonna do to her!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Cool boat, gonna be a summer house for sure. No doubt she'll be a fixture in the anchorage at Block.
Kinda funny how you went from a single 440 and ended up with a pair of 220's :D
Those 220's are nice simple engines with a great track record.
And no aftercoolers :wink:
See ya around..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Chris, are those Vetus vents outboard of your engine room? If so, they can allow water into the engine compartment in following or quartering seas.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
midnight
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by midnight »

Thanks Rob! Yeah kind of ironic on the 2 x 220s. I've heard only good things as well about these little engines, like 20,000 hours on small fishing boats. Won't be doing much fishing on this one unless we see some top water action on the way somewhere... Most of my fishing is offshore now on OPBs (other peoples boats) anyway.
She is very different from our last three Albins but it suits us better...
Capt. Chris
USCG 200 Ton master
'Midnight Rambler'
1999 Albin 36 ET #106
Guilford, CT
Safety First

*Former Boats*

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”