• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

40NSC source of leaks in windows

afishunt
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Whittier AK

40NSC source of leaks in windows

Post by afishunt »

I am evaluating a 2006 40 NSC here in Alaska for possible purchase. I've read many of the posts about various issues with this model and am glad you all share info. I've read some general comments about early production models lacking quality control and have had serious leaks. This particular vessel has a leak around the port aft cabin window and some on the far aft cabin door window. I have a lot of experience with boats but not this one, and it seems that leaks can often originate far from where they show up. Has anyone had success in finding a trend on where to look for the origin of window leaks? I suspect the source might be much farther up in/ near the topside fiberglass.
Captain John
Ninilchik Alaska
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Re: 40NSC source of leaks in windows

Post by tbnolin »

Hey there Captain John! Not sure if you read any of my posts, but we had problems with leaks around all the port holes...fortunately no leaks in the salon windows. After rebedding, the leaks stopped.....but the damage had already been done. They were like that when we bought the boat. Other then that, we had no other leaks that we knew of.
Good luck and keep us all posted on what materializes!
Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
afishunt
Swabby
Swabby

Post by afishunt »

Thanks a bunch. Just wondered if there might be some other source elsewhere that manifested at the windows. I am going on a test run this weekend...
Captain John
Ninilchik Alaska
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Capt. John: There was a 40 NSC at Bellingham Yachts for over a year. They ordered the boat for the original owner.
I was seriously considering the boat until I looked at it. They had done lots for the original buyer to try and resolve the issues with not much success that I could see. It even included repaneling the rear cabin over the old. It still when I looked at it had lots of issues.
However, they reportedly went completely through and solved all the problems. It was purchased by one of our member in So. Cal. who uses it for commercial purposes. I spoke with the Buyer a few times and all has gone well.

Nick and Dean are the owners of Bellingham Yachts and a former Albin NW Dealer. They are honest people. You might to give then a call and inquire as to their experience in resolving the issues and how to proceed.

Have misplaced the name of the recent buyer. It was a 2006 as well. Nick or Dean should be able to give to you contact information on the buyer. If I an locate her on the forum will let you know. She contacted me a couple times while in the NW when considering the boat.
They are a non profit organization were able to get a great deal due to tax consequences.

whwells 'Howard"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Capt. John: The purchase was Peggy Strapp of Marine Life Services in So. Cal
whwells "Howard"
afishunt
Swabby
Swabby

Post by afishunt »

Thanks again for great information. I am going to test it tomorrow. I looked at it last year and was turned off by the leak issue but for the right price I could be interested if I can be sure there is no structural issue up top. I will try to find the history of this one also. Would be interesting if there are two layers of paneling in the aft cabin...
Captain John
Ninilchik Alaska
pstap
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Moss Landing, CA

Re: 40NSC source of leaks in windows and fuel tanks

Post by pstap »

Captain John and all:

We did purchase the 2006 40' NSC from Bellingham Yachts and were assured the skylight window over the bed in the master bedroom had been fixed and no longer leaked.

We just brought the boat down from Bellingham to Moss Landing and arrived on June 12th. As soon as we hit any rough seas where water came over the bow the window leaked. I let them know right away and we are going to address it.

Also, the aft tank was disabled with the diesel taken out and shut down, which we knew. That was suggested as one option for that tank in a survey done by someone else last fall. Bellingham Yachts did do that before we had our survey. But now we have to investigate the other fuel tanks as they said those fuel tanks on each side are 200 gallons each (total fuel 400 gallons). We had gone about 135 miles and just got into Coos Bay to our slip for the night and ran out of fuel within 200 yards of it. When we fueled it only took 256 gallons so I am thinking they were 125 gallons each instead of 200 gallons each.

Does anyone have information on the fuel tanks on the 40 NSC?

Aloha,
Peggy Stap
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

It seems as though we were under the same assumption....400 total gallons....but we never ran the tanks so low that we needed more then a couple hundred gallons, and that was just one time. Our tanks were midship, one on port and one starboard along with a smaller tank aft.
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
pstap
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Moss Landing, CA

Re: 40NSC source of leaks in windows and fuel tanks.

Post by pstap »

Thank you tbnolin... We are going to measure the tanks and determine the volume. We were so surprised when we ran out of fuel as we were told there were 2 - 200 gallon tanks, one port and one starboard, with the day tank of 100 gallons sealed off as mentioned in previous post.

Anyone else have leakage in the hatch window over the master bedroom in the forward cabin?

Aloha,
Peggy
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

The standard set up for fuel was 2 saddle tanks which were 160 gallons each and the aft center tank was 80 gallons for a total of 400 gallons, which I can completely verify from my experience and drawings I have.
I did have a small leak ini that window and it was just that the latches were not tight. By that I mean the latches as they were attached to the plexiglass window were loose and when tightened never leaked again. You can tighten the latch but you must tighten the part, not sure what to call it ,that attaches the3 plastic latch handles to the window. Typically it looks like the screw in the handle needs tightening but it is the attachment that is leaking. Hope that is clear.

Was actually coming into announce that my NSC 40 Highlander has been sold, it will be staying here inNJ at the Bay Head Yacht Club.
Let me know if I can help with anything else, had her for 6 years and know the boat extremely well.
AlbinNSC40
Craig

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”