• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow thruster and Stern Thruster for a 36

stujamuk
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gosport

Bow thruster and Stern Thruster for a 36

Post by stujamuk »

Hi,

Im in the process of buying a Albin 36 and wish to fit thrusters either bow only, or bow and stern. We are based in the UK and our marinas are very tight, so although yes I could (and will) learn to dock without any id rather have them for piece of mind.

Ok question is what do you guys have fitted? the Vetus 55 seems to crop up a bit, is this the best size for a 36 or would more power be better? should the stern thruster match the bow in power? Im new to this so unsure. Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your help
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Bow thruster and Stern Thruster for a 36

Post by jleonard »

I have a stern thruster only on my single engine 40. It is hydraulic (Dickson) and was installed by the previous owner.
It works fantastic and I can put the boat anywhere.
Not saying this is what you should do, just describing what I have gotten used to.
Hydraulic is nice because it can stay on as long as you need, it won't time out or wear down batteries.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
stujamuk
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gosport

Post by stujamuk »

Im assuming that the Stern thruster is ideal for countering the prop effect. Having never piloted any kind of motor boat as yet I don't know how it compares to sailing yachts. Our current boat kicks over to port and you have no chance going in any other direction until she's got some headway astern. The good thing about a sailing yacht is you have a pivot point with the keel.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

stujamuk wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:45 am Im assuming that the Stern thruster is ideal for countering the prop effect. Having never piloted any kind of motor boat as yet I don't know how it compares to sailing yachts. Our current boat kicks over to port and you have no chance going in any other direction until she's got some headway astern. The good thing about a sailing yacht is you have a pivot point with the keel.
I've had 3 single screw power boats and the best I ever did was to "almost" get it to back straight. The stern thruster does counter the prop effect, but you can do the same using a bow thruster.
Many prefer a bow thruster because in theory you can move the stern with your rudder. However I can make my boat do things others can't and I've learned how to use it effectively.
Someone with a bow thruster can do things I can't as well.
Each of us would have to approach a tight situation differently. It's all about getting used to what you have.
I like the hydraulic thruster because it won't overheat or time out like an electric thruster. There are times it stays on for several minutes esp at my home berth on a windy day when we are trying to secure lines.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

Same boat. Vettus bow thruster, nothing at the stern. You don’t need both. I love the bow thruster. With occasional “kicks” on the throttle I can put the boat anywhere even with wind and current almost walk it sideways. Pete

Return to “36/37/40/43”