• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lower rudder shoe bearing and shoe

Wazoo
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Grant Farm Island, Fl

Lower rudder shoe bearing and shoe

Post by Wazoo »

I have a 1988 Albin 36 looking for idea what it cost to replace lower rudder shoe bearing and shoe thanks for any help!!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Lower rudder shoe bearing and shoe

Post by jleonard »

Can you post a picture of what is there? And why the shoe needs replacement?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Wazoo
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Wazoo »

Yes see attached!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Wazoo
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Wazoo »

Another view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Oh YUCK!
Is the shoe bronze? I ask because mine looks like it is fiberglass, but maybe it's got a bronze core, I really don't know.
The bearing (really a bushing) is easy, you can get one thru McMaster Carr online, it will be cheap there compared to going thru a marina. Just measure ID (inside diameter) OD (outside diameter) and length. Bronze material.
As far as the "shoe" or "skeg" I really don't know. If it's a bronze core and fiberglass outer, you may be at the mercy of the yard, and those prices can be all over the map.
I guess if it were my boat I would grind it down a bit and see what it was made of. If it only needs clean up and re-glass, I would tackle that myself.
If the core is pooched that's an whole different scenario. You may have to find a casting shop and/or fabricator.
I wish I could advise better, but I just don't know how this was constructed. However, I would appreciate seeing pictures and learning about how this gets repaired as I am sure others are as well.
Best of luck with this!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Wazoo
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Wazoo »

Thanks for the feedback !when I find out more I’ll post it Happy Thanksgiving !
donovandavidson
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: West Vancouver

Post by donovandavidson »

Wazzo, how did you manage with your rudder skeg issues? Mine has developed a crack where it is attached to the keel and I would like to know more on how it is attached to know how to best repair it.

Return to “36/37/40/43”