• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Refineco Purifiner

davb1947
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Joseph, MI

Refineco Purifiner

Post by davb1947 »

Molly has one of these for each engine (see photo attached). I’ve read a bit about them and the reviews are mixed. Anyone here have any personal experience with one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dave
Albin 36
Molly
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Refineco Purifiner

Post by jleonard »

What is it? Never heard of this.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Don't know any specifics - parts may be an issue? The company changed names - maybe this link will help?
https://www.puradyn.com/2-1-company-history/
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

So it’s basically a bypass oil filter?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Anybody remember the toilet paper roll filters for VWs? I never changed that oil either. I just kept adding more.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. Seems like a marketing gizmo thing to me. Never heard of an OEM "on-engine" oil filter not doing what it needs to do....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

My personal experience is of buying a brand new one on eBay and not being able to cross match to any filters. I found any number of fuel filter which would screw on as my original intent was to use for an auxiliary fuel filter/polishing system. I changed plans one day while I was trouble shooting a different problem, suspecting my lift pump as malfunctioning I ran the engine on an alternate fuel source while capturing the fuel from the lift pump in a clean gallon jar. The fuel was absolutely free of any particles or contamination. It was beautiful ruby red. I get hundreds of hours on a set of Raycors and change regularly. Never any water or sediment. Guess I am lucky. Never bothered to install the bypass for either fuel or oil. Pete
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

We chose to remove the RefineCo oil filters after deciding that they were a potential liability and unnecessary with regular oil changes. As it turns out, at least one was clogged and the other likely clogged, so neither were filtering oil, I suspect. They seem to be designed well, and they probably did what they advertised, but the added complexity and hassle isn't worth it. I'd rather change the oil at regular intervals. And that must be what most consumers decided, because they are out of business.

Return to “36/37/40/43”