• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Adding a hatch to engine room

jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Adding a hatch to engine room

Post by jashmen »

I have a 1978 36. I was wondering if anyone has added a hatch forward of the main engine hatch to access gen and water heater easier. Getting to old and fat to squeeze up there.
Capt Kirt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Slidell, La

Re: Adding a hatch to engine room

Post by Capt Kirt »

Yes I can understand your dilemma I also have reached maturity LOL. I am also going to install an additional hatch, there will be Additional framing to support the floor and I plan to use the cut out as the hatch. Please let me know if you have proceeded in you install and how it went. I will post a descriptive this winter and pictures for any one interested.

Thanks
Kirt
ppmeis
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marinette, WI

Post by ppmeis »

What a great idea !! Please post pictures and hints from your job. Mine is all wrapped up right now and it's too cold to start such a project but I love the idea and will do it in the spring.

pete
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jashmen »

I am on the hard at a great boatyard. I plan on having them help out this winter. Hopefully not too expensive.
wdroberson
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Pensacola

Post by wdroberson »

I have these four.

Others don’t?

Sorry the photo is poor. The only one I had handy on my phone.
344BE53B-3DB2-44FE-AB8D-8E53F36C01AF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

Only the aft three - table and two to port - on our twin-engine '79.
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jashmen »

wdroberson wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:29 pm I have these four.

Others don’t?

Sorry the photo is poor. The only one I had handy on my phone.

344BE53B-3DB2-44FE-AB8D-8E53F36C01AF.jpeg
The top one is what i am looking to add. Mine is a 1978. I wonder if they added in the 80's.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

Jeffrey,

Looking forward to seeing what you do. I haven't opened up the engine compartment overhead to verify my suspicions about construction, so I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of what is under the acoustic tiles (luan, I'm sure) and then what comprises the cabin floor supports. I do know that the outboard ends of the athwartship supports are prone to water damage and rot from leaking scuppers over time, but that is confined to the aft third of the salon floor. I do know that wiring - 12v and 110v - is routed through portions of cavity between the floor's bottom and top layers.

Take lots of pics. Good luck!

Return to “36/37/40/43”