• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel tank replacement

SelahWay
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Fuel tank replacement

Post by SelahWay »

We have an 1980 36' Albin with steel fuel tanks that will need to be replaced soon. A thought come to me today that I could use the two stainless steel water tanks in the lazerette as the fuel tanks. I could then cut out the existing fuel tanks and use those spaces for bladder water
tanks. Has anyone done similar? Is it doable?
Albin79
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: richmond

Re: Fuel tank replacement

Post by Albin79 »

Came to the site to search for the process and expected costs to replace my steel tanks and ironically your fuel tank subject was first on the list.

As for your question, I would imagine you would have to install an electric fuel pump to get the fuel to the lift pump but that's not a big deal. Not sure if the reduced weight of the bladders and water would affect listing or balancing of the boat. I took the steel tanks out my aft stateroom and the transom sits probably a few inches higher. I'm in the process of replacing the water tanks.

Good Luck!
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Re: Fuel tank replacement

Post by cdsailor »

We're not there yet - no signs of leakage in the outboard tanks - but I've been looking at poly tanks and considering my approach. Moeller has permanent tanks (such as this one: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/moeller ... -tank.html) that could be adapted to the space. You would give up some capacity, but I don't think it would be missed as long as combined tankage provides 500 nm or so or range. If/When the time comes, my first plan is to cut up the old tanks and then source the biggest poly tanks I can fit through/in the available space. At maybe $1500-$2000 or so all in, it's a bargain compared to aluminum tanks or yard rates.

Return to “36/37/40/43”