• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Other twin-engine Albin 36's out there?

cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Other twin-engine Albin 36's out there?

Post by cdsailor »

I think I've seen two twin-engine Albin 36's in my internet searches. What are the chances that a living, breathing forum member here has one?

David
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Other twin-engine Albin 36's out there?

Post by Panhdjoe »

I read somewhere that they only built a small number of the twin engine A36. I am thinking that it was like 7 or 9. Sorry i do not remember where i saw that. I have followed the market for a good number of years and have seen only 1 or 2 come up for sale.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

Panhdjoe wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:17 pm I read somewhere that they only built a small number of the twin engine A36. I am thinking that it was like 7 or 9. Sorry i do not remember where i saw that. I have followed the market for a good number of years and have seen only 1 or 2 come up for sale.
Yes, I'm thinking there must not be too many. I suspect they were per buyer's request only.

So, we have one, a '79, and there are two available online right now, an '80 and another '79.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing ... 31624&url=
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 6.06.08 PM.png
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/a ... r-3489517/
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 6.10.13 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
CHB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: East Greenwich, RI

Post by CHB »

cdsailor wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:14 pm I think I've seen two twin-engine Albin 36's in my internet searches. What are the chances that a living, breathing forum member here has one?

David

I've owned an '89 Albin 36' with twin Cummins 210's since 2014. Great Boat. I'm in RI.

Charlie
IMG_20190804_093159.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

i believe there is also one here in the UK or it may be a UK guy that owns it and it is in Holland.

I recall when he joined thinking it looked very much like a Grand Banks.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

Charlie,

It would be interesting to compare photos and notes of the installation. Do you have photos of the engine compartment, drive system, struts, etc? It's not a matter of necessity to know these things; I'm just curious. Good to hear from you.

Nice-looking boat and slick bimini extension!

David
CHB
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: East Greenwich, RI

Post by CHB »

cdsailor wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 am Charlie,

It would be interesting to compare photos and notes of the installation. Do you have photos of the engine compartment, drive system, struts, etc? It's not a matter of necessity to know these things; I'm just curious. Good to hear from you.

Nice-looking boat and slick bimini extension!

David
Thanks
Here are a few older photos.
Charlie
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cdsailor »

Wow. An entirely different animal, really. Rudders are different, rear strut is different - and I suspect the shaft log arrangement is different, too - engines mounted atop stringers rather than between, and it appears the engines are mounted at less of an angle. Lots of changes. Your boat and Molly are separated by ten years, so that is a lot of time in a yard that produced hundreds of trawlers.

Thanks for sharing.
buchan
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Manly, Brisbane. Australia

Post by buchan »

I realize they are not common - they are very few here in Australia
I have an Albin 36 Trawler 1982 here in Brisbane Australia.
I have followed cd sailor previously on his excellent refurbishment of his boat.
I decided during Covid to either sell my boat or spend the time and money getting it up to scratch - I decided the latter(after seeing the possible work scope and time involved)
I have completed all the major work now and for a 40+ year boat it is in good shape.
One question i still need to find out is how the air vents for the engine room are fitted are they a fiberglass
insert with a hose attached or something different.
I cannot access from inside the engine room to check.

Return to “36/37/40/43”