• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propane Stove and strorage

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Propane Stove and strorage

Post by rebuckley »

Hello -
On our 36, the propane tank storage for the stove is under the upper helm. Obviously this is not really adequate for safety reasons, but relocation is difficult and requires re-plumbing.
I was wondering how others have handled this change? Have you found a good place for the propane tank? Or have most switched to a different kind of cooking utility?
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Propane Stove and strorage

Post by jleonard »

I just left mine as originally installed. I don’t see it as a real problem. It can drain overboard if there’s a leak and would have flow uphill quite a way to get to the interior of the boat.
If I were ever forced to move the tank I would build an air tight bench on the bridge decks with overboard drains to house the tank
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Post by jashmen »

Under upper helm as well. Not proper with current standards, but don't want to re-plumb and move either.
Sebby
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Glasson Basin Marina

Post by Sebby »

Hi Reb,

I may be able to help you here ! My propane is also on the flybridge. The pipe runs through the flybridge structure to the left and down through the deck to the galley. Personally I would not move my propane tank into the boat, but I do want to share one thing that I encountered.

The original builders did a really stupid thing. They never sealed the hole that the pipe runs through down to the galley. The result of this was that over the years water ran down the pipe and dripped into the floor area and continued down into the bilge behind the tanks and rotted a large area of marine ply, which all had to be dug out and replaced.

All for the sake of a little sealant. Very annoying !! I also had excatly the same problem with the scuppers. Cheap fittings allowing water ingress into the woodwork down below and was a major tear out and rebuild job, again just for the sake of some good sealant. I had some bronze scuppers made and fibreglassed the scupper tunnels, so now 100% water tight. Silly, lazy oversights causing dispproportinate damage to the boat. Grrrrr!!!

I would recommend you check these areas for rot. Hopefully, your boat was better built!

Kind regards,

Sebastian
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I might add that I just had a survey on monday and nothing was mentioned about the propane system other than the tank was "under the dash and vented".
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”