• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Auto Pilot

jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Auto Pilot

Post by jashmen »

I know this should be in the electronics section, but I really am interested in what the trawler owners use and how they feel about it. Mine is old, and I plan on updating in the next year. My current one tends to swing back and forth quite a bit, even in relatively calm seas.
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Auto Pilot

Post by rebuckley »

I have the Simrad hydraulic pump (AP12 (RPU 80 (or RPU 60) pump) I think it is - need to verify on my list on the boat) . I find it works quite well in general tracking. Aft (and slightly beam) seas can cause issues with tracking - very "S-curvey". Playing with some of the settings they have in the system (rudder/steerage/speed) helped correct it - but not 100%. I am very happy with it. I think the stern/beam issue would be similar across any AP - but better than my sore shoulders after a long run!!
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

You can normally adjust the gain or sensitivity in the controller. I went with a Raymarine in my new Silverton and am happy with it and the setup.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I had a sitex and it worked well but would always do a snake wake especially in a cross current.
I found that if I used a compass heading and adjusted manually to the path it would run a lot straighter than when following the gps.
Last edited by jleonard on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Post by jashmen »

glad I am not the only one with "snake wake"

Return to “36/37/40/43”