• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine Clean-Up Complete

Key2Cay
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

Engine Clean-Up Complete

Post by Key2Cay »

We bought our boat in July and had a survey done of the boat as well as a separate survey done of the engine, a Cummins 6BT5.9-M 210hp. The engine survey found a strong engine in need of some TLC. The oil analysis raised no concerns from my engine surveyor who had over 45-years of experience servicing Cummins engines.

As a newbie to diesel engines, so I took a marine diesel class at my local community college. I met some wonderful people and learned a ton. It was the best $180 I could spend. I now have the knowledge and confidence to service and maintain my engine as we seek to start cruising next winter.

After about 160 hours of work, my engine is reassembled and running great.

Here are the things that I did: removed old raw water pump; installed a new raw water pump; drained all the coolant; rebuilt my original raw water pump (as a class project); removed and inspected exhaust manifold; installed new gaskets to exhaust manifold; removed and inspected turbocharger; installed new gasket to turbo; removed heat exchanger and cleaned throughout (soaked in vinegar for 24 hours) and stripped and re-painted it; removed all hoses and replaced with new hoses and double ABA clamps (where possible); removed and replaced oil line to turbocharger; removed engine wire harness and made a new one using Cummins standard wire colors; replaced starter with API step down design; replaced starter solenoid with mag switch starter solenoid; removed and replaced all senders and switches on the engine and transmission; removed injectors and had them inspected and serviced at a diesel service center in New Bern; removed and replaced transmission oil hosed to oil cooler; replaced transmission oil cooler; drained and replaced transmission oil; replaced belt tensioner; replaced belt; replaced thermostat with new 165 degree thermostat; added remote oil filter set up to make maintenance access easier; added a SMX EnviroVent system to capture crankcase venting; added a Reverso oil change system to engine and transmission; replaced wet exhaust hose from engine to lift muffler; added an exhaust temperature alarm switch to trigger if there is a temperature rise above normal operating conditions (i.e. from reduced raw water flow); added new group 31 start battery with cutoff switch in saloon and new 2/0 cables with an inline fuse; added new battery charger isolator; cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and then painted; added coolant overflow tank; added new coolant; replaced all fuel filters; blead the system; and adjusted valves.

I think the picture speaks for the engine. My confidence to do this is priceless.

You can also check out the video https://youtu.be/BNOVM3R0O6Y I made for my final class project last week - adjusted the valves and got her running.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tom Brown
1987 Albin 36 "Key 2 Cay"
Hull #414
Oriental, NC
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: Engine Clean-Up Complete

Post by Sprig1 »

That is a thing of beauty! Congratulations
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

A clean engine is a happy engine. And you get to see where oil or anti-freeze is leaking, what is overheating, what is rubbing! I had a spot of rust show up between two injector lines in a tight rack. Ten years ago I never thought about rusting injector lines until I heard how much it would cost to replace them! Very nice work.
Key2Cay
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental, NC

Post by Key2Cay »

WillieC wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:11 pm Very nice work.
Thanks, Willie. I'm sure it will pay me back with my new understanding of the engine.
Tom Brown
1987 Albin 36 "Key 2 Cay"
Hull #414
Oriental, NC
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

That's a Bristol engine room if ever I saw one. KUDOS! Now I have to clean mine up.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “36/37/40/43”