• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raw water Hydrolocked, again

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Raw water Hydrolocked, again

Post by rebuckley »

We had an issue like this way back, my dad decided who needs a muffler, it's not that loud, so he straight lined it under the bunk. We had a day, low water tanks and a ton of people on board, water locked the engine. Our mechanic then said, who the hell did this? And since have had a baffled muffler to prevent water back flow. My heat exchangers, like Jay's, do not have center loops, and are not connected to the engine system anyway, they come in, and flow out at elbow and shaft, so hard to see how they would flow to engine. Besides, exchanger to elbow is an uphill flow. I am betting there is an exausht issue with your Dry lift , possibly damage or too much flow if you are riding bow down. We also have the old "pig iron" in the stern, as Albin suggested back in the 80's to compensate for the bow down when water tanks are empty.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

rebuckley wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 pm We also have the old "pig iron" in the stern, as Albin suggested back in the 80's to compensate for the bow down when water tanks are empty.
Not to start another thread, but how much weight did Albin suggest to compensate for the bow down attitude?

Thanks,
David
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

lead in stern.jpg
[attachment=0]
I do not know the exact weight recommended, but I did look at what we had back there in one other thread. The blocks I have are probably 80 to 100 lbs and we have 8 in the stern - in the center well around the rudder stuffing box area. I will verify again in the spring - but that is my recollection
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
albinalaska
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Ketchikan, AK

Post by albinalaska »

Gilles philippin wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 am Image[/img]ImageHi everybody, i'm new to Albins, new to wet exhaust, (used to have a steel tug with dry exhaust) and i'm wondering if my system is correct....i got some pictures, the exhaust exits the ford lehman and drops, then goes about as high as the manifold as it enters the space under the bed, kinda goes strait to a vernalift and from that rises not much and gets to the stern. Does anyone see something bad? Please!
Thanks,
Gilles
We have essentially the same setup on our Trawler. Trying to sort out issues as well because the PORT side doesn't have a loop out of the vernalift like the STBD side does. There's also an auxiliary exhaust tapped into the PORT side as well. Our 3" exhaust run doesn't change much and runs fairly level to the water line for the from the waterlift muffler out the transom at the stern. I've attached a crude diagram I made to hopefully clarify. Any insight is helpful.
Waterlift Rough Diagram.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

albinalaska wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:53 pm
Gilles philippin wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 am Image[/img]ImageHi everybody, i'm new to Albins, new to wet exhaust, (used to have a steel tug with dry exhaust) and i'm wondering if my system is correct....i got some pictures, the exhaust exits the ford lehman and drops, then goes about as high as the manifold as it enters the space under the bed, kinda goes strait to a vernalift and from that rises not much and gets to the stern. Does anyone see something bad? Please!
Thanks,
Gilles
We have essentially the same setup on our Trawler. Trying to sort out issues as well because the PORT side doesn't have a loop out of the vernalift like the STBD side does. There's also an auxiliary exhaust tapped into the PORT side as well. Our 3" exhaust run doesn't change much and runs fairly level to the water line for the from the waterlift muffler out the transom at the stern. I've attached a crude diagram I made to hopefully clarify. Any insight is helpful.

Waterlift Rough Diagram.pdf
Twin Albin here too. Neither exhaust hose extends higher than the mixing elbows on either side. Both runs are pretty much flat all the way to the transom outlets. No issues since we've owned her. It does make me a bit nervous, but the elbows are both about 12" above the waterline (maybe a bit more).

A couple comments about your generator exhaust. I would worry about the potential for back flooding. Beyond that, ABYC P-1
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 8.52.08 AM.png
standards require a separate exhaust outlet for each engine. Our gen exhaust exits above the waterline on the port side, providing a minimal run and convenient routing.

Return to “36/37/40/43”