• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New England Albin Rendezvous - Who'd come?

Block Island, Rhode Island - Read about it here!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

New England Albin Rendezvous - Who'd come?

Post by DougSea »

Hoping Andrew sees this one...

I met Andrew (from Albin) at the Norwalk Boat Show this past fall. We started chatting about the possibility of Albin organizing an owner's Rendezvous at Block Island around Flag Day.

I for one would love to have an excuse to get together with some of the people on this board and perhaps some Albin factory folks this summer. I know there's a fair number of us who'd be challenged to get our boats down John's way but I bet we could get a decent crowd together at Block.

How about folks chime in with interest and I'll see if I can get a line out to Andrew.

BTW - I posted this here, rather than cruising, since I know I tend to notice stuff here right away and I'm guessing most of you do too. I'll ask John to move it once it's been out here for a little while.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Sounds good to me.

Jack
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I'll get out my charts and take a look, since I'm not a "confirmed" long range cruiser yet.
I know someone here made the trip from the Chesapeake. I'll check the cruising forum.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I don't need much of an excuse to make a trip out to Block. I would love to go, lets get it planned for a couple of weekends or even during the week, just in case the weather is not good for the trip. Denis
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Block Island

Post by powerboater56 »

I'm not an Albin owner yet, but getting closer. If I have one by the time you meet, I'd love to attend. You might also consider the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol, RI. I believe they encourage small groups to use their dock for get-togethers. Dutch Harbor in Jamestown (my home base) usually has moorings to rent, and the harbor has a good area to anchor.

John S.
Jamestown, RI
solace2007

New England rendezvous

Post by solace2007 »

I'm still looking for my Albin 36 (old and slow) but would be interested in the get together.
Rob
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Block is a great place

Post by RicM »

I'm still waiting to close on my 28TE but it's looking pretty good at this point. I would definitely be up for a get together at BI, CT coast etc. I will need weekend of Albinness to get to know more about my boat and how to use it well....
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

If I can't talk Sharon into making the trip by water perhaps we can drive and hitch a ride with someone?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
apage

re: Albin Rendez-Vous

Post by apage »

Hi All:

Great minds think alike. Thanks Doug for your posting. Interestingly enough, I called the owner of the Block Island Boat Basin last week. We chatted only briefly but he informed me that the BI Storm Tri-Sail race was like the 20th of June. Because of that, BI might be a zoo. Like Doug suggested, Flag Day (June 14th ???) might work.

The owner was going away for 2-weeks but he said that he would call me when he returned. I am thinking some time in early June. Yes, the weather can be suspect, but being from NE, I am not one to let weather determine the outcome of any event. So . . .I am pushing for the first or second weekend in June. I'd say Sept, (and perhaps early in the month would work for me), but also know that I am going to get real busy with boat shows. So, I opted for June. I have been to BI numerous times in June and had both good and wet weather.

What do you guys think?The BI Boat Basin has a restaurant (The Orr which is great). I prefer the place over Champlins. Since many of the boats are 28s, we can probably get the inner docks. I know sometimes BI Boat Basin has a tent and grills etc . . .

We can plan some fun events, cook out, tell stories, do giveaways, maybe get a speaker from Salt Pond committee to talk about environmental issues facing "The Pond", go clamming, fishing etc. . .

I am going to do an e-mail to our dealers from LI, CT, RI, MA to try and get support from them. I will price out slips and a meal of some sort. Perhaps we can get an owner's site committee. I propose these guys because I have met them:

Denis
Doug
Jack

Obviously, if you can't do it, I completely understand. Similarly, if there are people that want to get involved, the more the merrier is what I say. I will manage from factory and any dealers who have guys going, I will encourage dealer particiaption. You guys let me know what else you need and we can start putting a plan together.

Your comments are important to me so drop me a line when you have a chance. Thanks again for prompting this idea. With any luck, we can pull off a great weekend for everyone.

Best regards,

Andrew @ Albin
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Redevous

Post by RicM »

I will definately make it, and I think BI Boat Basin is a great place. That's our regular tie-up for lunch after a hard morning of fishing and to have lunch at The Oar. Champlins is always a zoo on the weekend and always big $$$ ($40+tip to tie up for lunch!). If you want to party it's better to walk over to Champlins and sleep at the Boat Basin where it's relatively quiet.

The alternative to Flag Day would be any weekend after Labor Day. The advantage then is the fishing is usually better (IMHO). We have had spectacular weather and fishing as late as mid October in the fall. Everything is still pretty open untill after Columbus Day.
There are pictures of some bass we caught in Oct posted in the photo gallery.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I am definately interested in this event, unfortunately I can't commit until about May. My life/job is way too volatile to know what is going on in June.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I'd be happy to help coordinate a get together.

Flag day would be ok with me. To be honest, I'll make time for whenever we can arrange things.

On the fishing side, Early June coincides with the usual arrival time for blue fish to the area. Although not good eating (IMHO), they are a blast to catch on light tackle. There are also some great areas for catching Fluke around Block. Striper (Striped Bass) will also be in the area around that time.

For people who may not fish, have the equipment or techniques, It sure seems we have a few die hards who could help out. If there is enough interest, a small fishing derby might be fun.

BTW - John the burgee arrived yesterday. Atta-boy to you and all the designers who contributed.

Jack

re: rendez-vous

Post by apage »

Hi all:

I think an Albin fishing derby would be a blast. We could host some type hokey awards ceremony of sorts. We could make up fun categories.

Smallest Fish landed (photograph)

Last one out . . .

Youngest fisherman

Skunked

etc . . .

We could also have a weekend theme (other than Albin). We could do hats or seventies party or scavenger hunt, trivia . . .whatever it doesn't really matter.

For me, the whole idea is to laugh and have fun

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Andrew @ Albin
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Block Island weekend of June 14?

June 14 is a Thurs. Would we be talking sort of a long weekend (June 14-17th?)

Would be tentatively in. Must get exact dates and get approval from the Admiral (my wife)

I highly recommend Block Island Boat Basin. The Oar is a great restaurant and a great drinking hole. We could get them to put up a AOG "oar" on their wall for good measure!

Block Island Boat Basin would be a great place for a get together!!!!
Would love to see a bunch of Albineers together at one place!
(picture taken from a website I can't remember which one)
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Here is a shot of the Boat Basin from the deck at the Oar...
Image[/url]

Imagine it filled with Albins!

and here is a nice BI Bass from SW ledge, caught live lining a scup last fall....
Image[/url]
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “New England Albin Rendezvous 2007 - Great First Event”