• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Great first rendezvous!

Block Island, Rhode Island - Read about it here!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Great first rendezvous!

Post by DougSea »

Hi all!

Well Kathy and I survived the trip back from Block on Sonny III - many thanks to Dave and Ann on Hideaweigh for waiting for us as we took on fuel and then leading back to the SOund - they've got radar and we don't and Sunday morning was threatening FOG again. THANKS!

I'm sure I'll write a MUCH longer post on the whole experience (can you say FOG) in a day or two, right now I'm exhausted and heading to bed!

Before I nod off I wanted to say too all that made it, it was really great meeting all of you, your families and your boats! Albin's appear to attract a great group of people! Several folks planned on coming out but either mechanical or weather problems kept them away - you were missed!

Below is what I think(!) is a complete list of those who made it - I'm really bad with names but I'm pretty sure it's close! Looking forward to seeing all of you at the 2nd annual NE AOG Rendezvous!

Doug and Kathy Campbell (DougSea), 28TE - Sonny III

Jack Kade, his brother Tom and Mocca the dog (JackK), 28TE - Dogonit

Terry, Karen and daughter Lindsey Ober, 28TE - Maye Marie

Dave and Ann (Capt Dave39), 28TE - Hideaweigh

Ed Flanagan and brothers Rick and Terry (tomcat rio), 28TE - Sgt Barry

Kim and Garth (Endurance), 28TE – Endurance

John and Marcia Mach, 31TE – Joint Venture

Andy and Kate Page and family (apage), Surf Hotel (no, not the name of a boat!)

Jay and Deb Leonard, 40 Trunk Cabin - Attitude Adjustment – stopped in on Friday (sorry we didn't make it out for a cocktail on Saturday - the POURING rain had us hiding in our cabin trying to warm up!)

Mike and Helen (could have the names wrong – please let me know!) moored out on their 28TE and stopped in on Friday evening

Ric and Karen Murray (RicM), 28TE – Name TBD – Stopped in for a hello on Saturday and then caught some nice fish!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Yes it was a complete "no vis" trip from Mystic friday afternoon....chart plotter, radar, auto fog horn....and unfortunately the harbor was also pea soup. That's New England boating.
We enjoyed meeting those folks on friday evening. We partied on the boat saturday with Mike and Helen...they live in the same town as we do! Small world indeed!
Sunday was a nice trip back across the pond.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Although the weather certainly didn't cooperate we had a great time.

Here's the first of what I'm sure will be many pictures. This was taken Saturday morning. Sorry I missed some of the boats that arrived a little later in the day.

former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Dear attending members of the NE Rendezvous,

It looks like all that made it had a great time! Thanks to those that put the time in and helped organize the event.

It was to my major dissappointment that Resolution was not able to make it to the rendezvous.

Here is the story of what happened (to us).

We were on our way from Amityville, Long Island on Friday morning, fully loaded and off on our adventure to Block Island. We were heading east on the Great South Bay. Our plans were to catch the high tide in Moriches Bay by 1pm, crossing the Shinnecock canal, going through the Peconic, go past Shelter Island and on to Block Island. (A trip we've taken about 10 times).

Over the winter layover, Resolution had a major overhaul. We did not get her back from the yard until the Wednesday before the Rendezvous - another story and another post when I have the time write this one up.

Short version - Engine taken out, new dripless seal shaft installed, EVERY hose replaced (easier when engine is out of frame), rubber gaskets were replaced where they deemed necessary and the installation of a replacement "elbow" connection that needed to be replaced due to corrosion. Basically, the boat was "good to go" mechanically and then some.

Back to the trip. I should of known the trip was going to be filled with mishap when the radar was inoperable. We continued on knowing that our gps and backup handheld gps were fully operational and would get us there in fine shape.

About two hours into our trip we started to loose speed and rpm. Temp and oil pressure fine. Visual inspection of our engine produced no difinitive answer to the cause. If I increased throttle, black smoke belched out. Not a good sign.

After contacting our yard, we decided to limp to Bay Shore so they could inspect the engine first hand. We gave them the lo down and symptoms. After a sea trial, they found the problem. The replacement "elbow" (connecting right to the turbo) did not have a solid seal. It appears the piece had a "dimple" and grease and water was seeping out of the connection and was clogging the air filter, causing the engine to choke under load. I guess it's something they didn't catch on their intitial sea trial.

They were able to fix using a different manufacturer's clamp. By the time they were done, It was 5:30 pm. Fog started to roll in. We did another sea trial to make sure all was okay in thick pea soup.

We knew the day was shot an we would attempt the trip first thing in the morning (Saturday) We went slowly east to Blue Point where we could lay up for the night.

We checked high tides once again for Moriches Bay and found that high tide was around 3am and then again around 4 in the afternoon. Not very good to make it to BI in time for any of the festivities. We decided to wait till the morning to make the final call. If the weather was good, we would consider making a run for it. But it was raining and fog was still a big factor on the east end of Long Island. The trip for us was done.

We were looking so much to the trip and meeting all the attendees. I even made big posters and signage for our Oar get together.

I hope that we will be able to attend future AOG Rendezvous. This one for us was not to be. I totally regret not being there. But, better safe than sorry.

I am glad you all had a great time! I am looking forward to seeing more pictures of the Rendezvous.

Gery Garcia
Resolution 1994 28TE sitting idle and sad :cry:
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Sandy and I were also no shows. Sandy had to work Friday night at the senior prom so I prepared Friday night for an early departure Saturday morning. Thick fog was the greeting that I got in the morning and then the thunder storms started about nine am and it rained heavily until about four in the afternoon. We considered heading out about five but it started raining again for about two more hours. The weather forecast for sunday was for overcast, fog and intermittant storms. We decided to cancel :(
Of course Sunday turned out to be beautiful weather but the damage was done. We missed the first rendezvous.
I am glad that the people that made the trip had a good time, I wish I was one of them.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Denis and Gery,
There is still tiime to make the trip to the Chesapeake!
You guys make the trip and win a prize for the longest distance!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
tomcat rio

yes, it was a great get together...

Post by tomcat rio »

a bit foggy on the way out (friday), had following seas till hitting gardiners island on the way back (sunday). the gps odometer said total mileage was 109. average speed was 10.4kts. topped off upon return. took 60 gallons. will post some pics later....
gotta get an autopilot...really a pain in the arse holding a heading in the fog while eyeballing the radar for other traffic...and there was quite a bit of boat trafffic in the fog on friday...
it was certianly nice to meet all the nice folks there.
Last edited by tomcat rio on Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ENDURANCE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great Rendezvous in Block Island!

Post by ENDURANCE »

Thanks to everyone who planned the BI event. It was great to meet everyone, and what an awesome looking bunch of boats!

As new Albin owners, it was interesting to see some of the customizations that everyone has done to their boats! And get some good tips!

Doug-glad you and Kathy made it home ok. As you know, we also didn't have radar. Our order was delay for a few weeks, needless to say, I am going to pick it up today. Not doing that fog thing again. Top priority to get it in over the weekend.

:) Nice meeting everyone! See you around!
Garth & Kim
ENDURANCE
2005 28 TE Flush Deck
Clinton, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Not doing that fog thing again. Top priority to get it in over the weekend.
Make sure you practise, practise, practise when the visibility is good so you and your first mate can learn to interperet what the radar is showing.
:wink:
[/quote]
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
tomcat rio

pictures

Post by tomcat rio »

recovering my $7.00 reading glasses,

.passing shelter island on the way home, sunday,
Last edited by tomcat rio on Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
tomcat rio

little brother terry

Post by tomcat rio »

"We need a bigger boat."..(jaws)
i always thought terry was a bit flukey :) . just west of shelter island on the way home from block.

Last edited by tomcat rio on Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tomcat rio

little brother rickey

Post by tomcat rio »

rickey spent 2004 in iraq with the army reserve

[/img]Image
at his recent promotion to full bird... lt col. flanagan, col. flanagan and sergeant flanagan. :)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Wow Ed, that's very impressive!

(Those Flanagan boys sure clean up nicely)

It was great getting a chance to meet you and your brothers. And the "Diving for glasses" display was fun too!

Please send my regards to Rick and Terry. Hope they can make it back next year.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
tomcat rio

one more

Post by tomcat rio »

Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

We just had a wonderful time out at the Block for the Albin rendezvous. It was fun to meet everyone there. Even though the weather was not on our side it did not seem to dampen any ones spirit. The event proved that Albin boats do collect really nice people for owners. The comrade and sharing information was a great experience. On the way home in the car my daughter talked how every one seemed to fit together.

I did discover in the fog at night while zeroing in on a mooring with radar you can pick up a wine bottle floating. I just could not tie up to it.

Special thanks to Doug and Andrew for putting the event together. Also thanks to John and Marcia Joint Adventure for the food and drink. Looking forward to meeting you all again.

Wow looks like the arm services were well represented with the Flanagan boy’s. Thank you guys for all you do and making weekends like this one possible for us all.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.

Return to “New England Albin Rendezvous 2007 - Great First Event”