• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Location, location, location (and dates...)

New England Rendezvous Coordinator -DougSea (Doug)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Location, location, location (and dates...)

Post by DougSea »

Hey guys,

First - a quick thank you to the guys who've offered to help organize our 2008 rendezvous. We'll talk more about activities and such as this starts to come together over the coming weeks and months.

I did want to put out a quick post to ask about possible locations. So far we have;

- Block Island (most likely at the Boat Basin)
- Essex CT
- Boston Harbor

One factor we need to consider is travel distance for those who may want to come to our 2nd annual event. We've got some folks up north of the Cape Cod Canal who might find getting "down south" challenging, we also have folks in Northern New Jersey and the Hudson who'd have a very long trip to Boston. I'll post a second note for people to indicate their interest which we should probably include in to our thinking.

We also need to consider some target dates. We did an early June date this year since it was easier to get space for a large number of transients at BI at that time. What's your thinking for next year? Do people like the Friday-Sunday format? (It worked well for Kathy and me)

So if you get a chance please post your suggestions for locations and dates. If you know specific marinas please include that information as well.

Thanks!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

As for a central location, I think Block worked well.

Timing was ok for me but maybe a little early for some folks. It is tough to move events like this to later dates because the marina is going to want a sizeable deposit. That is why I suggested last year that everyone send in their forms independently.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dates

Post by RicM »

June is a great time on Block because the marinas are not full and the fishing is great (we got 3 nice bass 20-30# after we left last year in the driving rain). The other thing to consider would be September. We just did a trip to the Cape and Islands Sept 9-16 and it was great. No crowds, beautiful weather, marinas were 1/3 off dockage fees etc.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I say let's start the year off with something and then try again later. If there is enough interest maybe Ric's idea of the islands in September. That sounded like a cool trip to me.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

We would like to attend the rendezvous. Last year was a definate dissapointment not making it due to the engine trouble. :? Hopefully this upcoming year we will have better luck!

It would be better for us if it was a little later than last years event, but we're flexible :)
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote: Has anyone suggested Essex? It's also centrally located, and the town would probably offer a lot more to do in June than New Harbor if the weather was not perfect.
I agree that something on the main land could offer more if needed.

I have tied up at Essex Island Marina, real accomodating marina and surely a great little nautical town. The 60 foot ferry ride is neat. When I say 60 foot that's the lenght of the ride - not the ferry. As it's name suggests, the marina is on an island.

To save on the rate I have been to Montauk Yacht Club for Memorial Day Weekend which is still considered the "off season". Not sure when the prime rate starts but I know 4th of July weekend is the "big" weekend. MYC has a pool, showers, restaurant and bar and a free shuttle into town as well as to a few other areas of interest outside of town such as Gosman's dock. I would imagine June would be the same. There surely is plenty to do there. The pool and showers are included with the docking rate.

Memorial Day weekend was perfect as everything was open, there were people around but nothing was crowded so I would imagine that June would be quite similiar.

So my first choice would be Montauk Yacht Club but I think Essex can work too. Guess I'm just not a huge fan of Block Island and that can be a tough crossing at times. Even with a decent marine weather forecast you really don't know exactly what you've got til you get out there.

The Seaport at Mystic CT is another great place, especially with the Maritime Museum and it's reasonably priced, beautiful and offers quite a bit. I already have it on the calender for July 4th weekend.

Montauk would be the best for the fisherman. Essex and Mystic would basically eliminate that activity. If we go to Block I'll be sure to have the scuba gear on board for some dives on the Lightburne wreck. You can really appreciate why it's known as the Caribbean of the North one's you so a few dive there with 60ft a visibilty.

Sorry to jump around a bit - So here's my three:

Montauk Yacht Club
Essex Island Marina
Mystic Seaport
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

We spend at least one night in Montauk every year at Snug Harbor Marina. They have a pool and a hotel on site and are a short walk to some shops and a short cab ride into town, it's a very nice place to stay. Essex Island marina is also very good, it's clean and lots to see within walking distance. Cedar Island Marina in Clinton Ct is also nice. It has a very lively pool with a band playing and is a short ride into town. I don't think we can go wrong anywhere we pick in this neck of the woods. We just have to make it so that most of the owners can make the trip from wherever they are coming from. I have not been to Newport in many years but there is certainly lots to do there.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Dave39
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pilots Point North Yard Westbrook, CT

Post by Dave39 »

Choices, choices. And all good. We've attended 2 Egg Harbor rendevous's at Essex Island and can state emphatically that those people know how to take care of you. On the other hand Boat Basin is a great place early or late in the year. Montauk offers a lot to do as well. I know I haven't helped any decision-makers.
Dave Sieben (Dave39)
Hideaweigh
1998 31TE Cummins 450
203-640-6127
203-843-2578
jointventure
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Montauk , Long Island, NY

location,location

Post by jointventure »

we stayed at the new mitchell park marina in downtown greenport mid august 07. the location is close by resturants,movie, carrosel and all floating docks. lots of unique shops for the "captains"
John
Joint Venture
31TE 2000
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

NE rendezvous

Post by Legacy »

Hi all. Shall we commence making decisions for a NE destination? I know it's January, but it's so freaking cold out today we need to focus on something fun!

More than happy to host in Boston Harbor or take a trek south to CT or RI to get the greatest number participating. Maybe a bit corny, but those of us north Cape Cod could form up and ride down as a flotilla. Could be fun and an opportunity to get photos of everyone underway.

Sign me up for helping out for any planning and details.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
ENDURANCE
Gold Member
Gold Member

New England Rendezvous

Post by ENDURANCE »

Hi All! :D Hope everyone is having a nice winter! You can count us in for the NE Rendezvous! Either BI or Essex Isl would be great. We will be on the lookout for more details!
Garth & Kim
ENDURANCE
2005 28 TE Flush Deck
Clinton, CT
ENDURANCE
Gold Member
Gold Member

New England Rendezvous

Post by ENDURANCE »

Hi All! :D Hope everyone is having a nice winter! You can count us in for the NE Rendezvous! Either BI or Essex Isl would be great. We will be on the lookout for more details!
Garth & Kim
ENDURANCE
2005 28 TE Flush Deck
Clinton, CT
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Location, location, location (and dates...)

Post by JoeH »

DougSea wrote:Hey guys,

First - a quick thank you to the guys who've offered to help organize our 2008 rendezvous. We'll talk more about activities and such as this starts to come together over the coming weeks and months.

I did want to put out a quick post to ask about possible locations. So far we have;

- Block Island (most likely at the Boat Basin)
- Essex CT
- Boston Harbor

One factor we need to consider is travel distance for those who may want to come to our 2nd annual event. We've got some folks up north of the Cape Cod Canal who might find getting "down south" challenging, we also have folks in Northern New Jersey and the Hudson who'd have a very long trip to Boston. I'll post a second note for people to indicate their interest which we should probably include in to our thinking.

We also need to consider some target dates. We did an early June date this year since it was easier to get space for a large number of transients at BI at that time. What's your thinking for next year? Do people like the Friday-Sunday format? (It worked well for Kathy and me)

So if you get a chance please post your suggestions for locations and dates. If you know specific marinas please include that information as well.

Thanks!
Count me in if it's in the Boston area.

Joe H
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Seems to be a lot of suggestions between NY and New England. Here's a suggestion: Giants win - it's in NY or NJ, if the Pats win - we'll go CT, MA or RI...

GO GIANTS !!!!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA