• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fish Finder/Depth Sounder

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fish Finder/Depth Sounder

Post by Yearwood »

About 15 year old stand alone Garmin unit is producing weak signals. Time for an upgrade. Any recommendations for a depth sounder/fish finder for use on the Chesapeake on an Albin 28 would be appreciated.
Don
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Fish Finder/Depth Sounder

Post by Norseman »

I installed the Garmin 1040SX, an external antenna and a transducer with 2 different frequencies, one for finding fishes and one for reading the bottom in details.
Very happy with the combo, and no, the screen does not block forward sight or visibility.
22FEBAA6-4F38-482A-995F-F58EDDD238ED.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Thanks. I have in the past preferred different screens for depth and charts. Current (same age) chart plotter will display depth digitally, but I did not wire it.
Don
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Yearwood wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:27 pm Thanks. I have in the past preferred different screens for depth and charts. Current (same age) chart plotter will display depth digitally, but I did not wire it.
Ok, your choice, but on the above machine you can split the screens.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Know the feeling about upgrading, but have been happy with our cheapo five-year-old Lowrance Chirp 5 split-screen for depth / fish finding and position keeping. I also use an ancient original equipment SiTex Depth gauge. which usually seems to agree with the Lowrance give or take a few inches. All I need to do to both is clean off the transducers very occasionally. A nice shiny new combo with a bigger screen may be in order, but I'll probably stay with Lowrance.
Regarding position - I also use Navionics Boating HD on a helm-mounted tablet as backup (usually primary)
That said, regarding said fish-finding capabilities - i apparently have a gentleman's agreement with the fish throughout the entire Chesapeake Bay; they leave me alone with my Kindle, and I, despite having all the common instincts of the hunter and several lines out in the briny sea, don't distract them from doing fishy things.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

I could join the club on your gentlemen's agreement.
Don
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Maybe we should get a burgee?
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

On my 28 TE and now my 31 TE I've gone with stand alone sounders even though having combo split screen unit MFD's. I just prefer it. On the 31TE I went with one transducer and a switch box to be able to display the single transducer's soundings on either screen.

For stand alone sounders, I really like the Furuno equipment and went with the Furuno 620 series:
the now FCV620 legacy unit on the 28 and now I have the FCV628 on the 31TE. Both are 5.7 inch screens and mounted uptop in the same location above the windscreen on RAM mount double socket arms with a round ball mount to the hull. I used AirMar tilted elements on both though some prefer a traditional ducer with a fairing block. These are powerful little units that have performed very well.

Furuno 620 (old style).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Electronics”