• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Inverter Charger

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Inverter Charger

Post by Jkraft »

Thinking about putting an inverter/ charger on. I currently have 2 4D AGam batteries. I’m not really interested in adding a third battery and not interested in solar.

My calculations is as follows: Each Battery is 200 Amp. I plan on leaving my engine battery isolated. This means my inviter is being provided by a single 200 amp battery. When allowing 100 amps usage in order to leave 50% reserve power I come up with the following

Items to be left on All Night:
Fan- 73 Watts - 7 Amps
Phone Chargers- 20 Watts - 2 Amps
DC Powered Refrigerator- 4 Amps (when compressor is running)
Total Continuous Usage Items- 13 Amps. 100 Amp Battery Capacity / 13 Amps= 7.5 Hr Run Time

Intermittent Items to Be Used
TV- 50 Watts- 5 Amps
Lamp- 10 Watts- 1 Amp
Total intermittent Items to Be Used: 6 Amps. 100 Amp Battery Capacity/ 6 Amps= 16.5 Hr Run TIme
I would estimate that these two may get used a max of 2 Hrs Each

Intermittent High Draw Items To Be Used
Keurig - 1500 Watts - 138 Amps
Microwave- 800 Watts- 74 Amps
Total High Power Items to Be Used- 212 Amps. 100 Amp Battery Capacity/ 212 Amps = 45 Minutes
I would estimate using these for a max of 5 Minutes Each

Also the refrigerator is usually off at night because I won’t like hearing the compressor run.

So, based on this- Think it will work? This would be used in one night intervals only when at anchor.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Inverter Charger

Post by Pitou »

Looking at your requirements, the only things that I see you need AC power for are the Microwave and the Keurig, unless you really want to run an AC powered fan, but DC powered fans will be more efficient. Most small televisions actually run off of DC power and utilize AC power converted to DC.

In my 28, I had installed a Xantrex 1800 Pro Sine inverter in the head sink cabinet, this close to the House battery and had the fuse and switch installed in the step very close by requiring a very, very short run from inverter to fuse to switch. It worked great for the microwave and coffee pot. Everything else was powered by DC. For your application this would be a very satisfactory setup and enabling you to keep or upgrade your battery charger. You will also need a 3 - way: switch to select: Shore, Inverter, Off

The other option and as you suggest is to utilize a combination charger / inverter and wire the the inverter into your panel where the current charger is switched on your AC panel. In this case you will most likely not need the 3-way switch.

Either way and with the AC panel having only one leg the inverter will be providing AC power availability to your entire panel, but not adequate power for the hot water tank or the air conditioner. I'd advise that you consult a good marine electrician for your boat's application.

There's nothing like that first $3,000 cup of coffee!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Thanks Kevin! I would be hiring someone to install. Just brainstorming and planning at the moment. I have been spending more nights on the hook recently and often wirh I had AC power. I know I won’t have Air. I can warm the hot water heater with the engine if I need to so that’s no big deal, just takes a while. I can probably get coffee delivered to me for $3k!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I would do a single inverter outlet for the microwave and series in one outlet for the coffeepot. Size the inverter for the highest load. Even if you were on shore power or running a Honda gen no switch changes would be required. Kevin is correct that DC devices are more efficient because of the energy lost during converting to AC. I did find a single k-cup that would run on our RV 1000 watt inverter. However the microwave will be a greater load then that.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

catalina_mike wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:53 am I would do a single inverter outlet for the microwave and series in one outlet for the coffeepot. Size the inverter for the highest load. Even if you were on shore power or running a Honda gen no switch changes would be required. Kevin is correct that DC devices are more efficient because of the energy lost during converting to AC. I did find a single k-cup that would run on our RV 1000 watt inverter. However the microwave will be a greater load then that.
Thanks Mike, my keurig is also a single cup
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

I have done some more research on this and spoken with a few people. I think what would make the most sense is to use my current (2) 4 D AGM batteries as my "house" batteries and to add a group 31 battery as my engine start battery.

The Charger/ Inverter I am looking at is the mastervolt Powercombi 12/2000-100. This is a 2000 watt inverter & a 100 watt charger. This would be paired with the power combi master control panel.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Just manage your load in the 110 breaker panel to not draw more than the 2000 watts. My 99 28TE had a 8D for house and a 31 for the engine. I used a promariner to charge both off the engine. Worked well but didn't use a inverter.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Jkraft wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:12 am I have done some more research on this and spoken with a few people. I think what would make the most sense is to use my current (2) 4 D AGM batteries as my "house" batteries and to add a group 31 battery as my engine start battery.

The Charger/ Inverter I am looking at is the mastervolt Powercombi 12/2000-100. This is a 2000 watt inverter & a 100 watt charger. This would be paired with the power combi master control panel.
The two - 4 D's will give you a nice robust house bank and the PowerCombi at 100 amp charging would seem well sized for this bank, but strong for the single Group 31 starting battery.

With a general rule of thumb of sizing battery chargers at 25% of amp hour capacity, have you considered the PowerCombi for the house bank and a separate 40 to 50 amp charger for the Group 31 start bank?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Pitou wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:05 am
Jkraft wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:12 am I have done some more research on this and spoken with a few people. I think what would make the most sense is to use my current (2) 4 D AGM batteries as my "house" batteries and to add a group 31 battery as my engine start battery.

The two - 4 D's will give you a nice robust house bank and the PowerCombi at 100 amp charging would seem well sized for this bank, but strong for the single Group 31 starting battery.

With a general rule of thumb of sizing battery chargers at 25% of amp hour capacity, have you considered the PowerCombi for the house bank and a separate 40 to 50 amp charger for the Group 31 start bank?
That is actually a great idea. I could potentially use my existing charger for the group 31 and just add the powercombi for the 2 4D's. Thank you for the tip!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:

Return to “Electronics”