• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raymarine Analog Dome Died

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Raymarine Analog Dome Died

Post by Paddy »

I have the original early 2000's RL70c display with the 24" 2kW analog radar. I use the display for radar and depth as I have a smaller Garmin for a chartplotter. As usual, the boat went into winter storage but at launch time, the gremlins came out. The display says "Antenna Not Rotating." I have power to both leads (2x red and 2x black) and I did the Ohm test on the blue/green wires, which read 160 on the cable and the radar circuit board (pins 3 and 4). According to Raymarine, the unit passes. Inside looked brand new.

I know I should bite the bullet and upgrade but I was hoping to hold off a bit and get a few more seasons out of the radar. I can pick up a used one for a few hundred but before I do so, is there anything that I am missing?

Thanks,

Rob
2004 28TE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Raymarine Analog Dome Died

Post by Tree »

Try rotating by hand. I suspect a stuck motor where it’s been in storage - that’s a belt driven unit if I recall? Try rotating it by the belt with the power off.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Yep Tree, belt driven. The smaller pulley side with the motor has some resistance when I spin it...noticed after I posted.

I kept spinning the reflector, thinking that would free it up, but I am now realizing that the belt was moving/slipping, not the drive motor. Will try again tomorrow. The darn unit is spotless and this is not the time to be buying electronics, so i am hoping its something simple.

Thanks,

Rob
2004 28TE
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

The Thomson motor appears to be the culprit. It is trying to spin but has resistance. Being up for a challenge, I got the old one out and ordered a used one from Ebay for $50. Small gamble if it works, fingers crossed.
2004 28TE
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I like your thinking. Fingers crossed
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Back in action!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 28TE
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Excellent, grasshopper!

Return to “Electronics”