• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Solar set up and use

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Solar set up and use

Post by Thumper74 »

Solar panels……

Charging controller.

And batteries.

How would one go about using this set up?? Let the solar charge the batteries, and run everything inside of boat of that?? Then alternator on the motor can charge it quickly while motoring around??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Re: Solar set up and use

Post by jashmen »

You are on the right path. I would suggest getting "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" by Nigal Calder. It is an incredibly useful book. Don't start messing with electricity until you a lot of research.
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Post by Thumper74 »

jashmen wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:25 am You are on the right path. I would suggest getting "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" by Nigal Calder. It is an incredibly useful book. Don't start messing with electricity until you a lot of research.

Ahh. A book to read and keep on hand. I shall check it out and see what nuggets of info it contains. Yes I am in process of removing old terminated wires that are not hooked to anything. There seems to be quite a lot of ghost wires in the ole boat.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dundalk, MD

Post by Ed422 »

Following (or at least I hope by adding a comment, I'll get notifications on new replies.)

I'm doing my research (I'm a research guy) on solar. My boat needs a house rewire. The engine is fine and I don't want to mess with those for now. The electric went in in 1977 and was "upgraded/added to in 2002 or so and is in sort of disarray. Most stuff works, but lots is not color coded (lots of meter usage) and some of the wires don't do what they should. I knew it was a project boat. The long term plan is to do some cruising with about 3 or 4 to 1 anchor vs. transient slip. When at home dock (or transient), shore power keeps the batteries charged, and the alternator will charge batteries while underway. I'm trying to figure how much solar I'd need to maintain.

Ed
GeorgeS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bristol, RI

Post by GeorgeS »

Great day for it, the sky is cloudy and raining and this is the forecast for awhile, so plenty of time to figure it out. Please let us all know how it goes ..
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I found this book to be a helpful reference with wiring issues.
DonCaseyBook.jpg
https://www.abebooks.com/Sailboat-Elect ... j8EALw_wcB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Moving topic to electronics.