• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 water in fuel tank compartment

Albin's "power cruisers"
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

A25 water in fuel tank compartment

Post by Burton »

When rain blows in the cockpit, some collects in the fuel tank compartment. It makes sense that it doesn’t drain to the bilge, in case of fuel leakage. However, there is very little space for bilge pump use. Does anyone have a good solution? (I could not resist the pun!)
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: A25 water in fuel tank compartment

Post by tribologist »

There are little holes draining into the engine bed in the front corner, from there is a small hole in the front of the bed draining to the bilge. Clean it up real good and put in some stainless Welding rods so you can keep em open
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

Hmmm— I can’t find any of those holes— I wonder if they missed it at the factory.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I posted a thread on all the bilge holes here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11273&p=73766&hili ... les#p73766
In it you will find what you are looking for, click pictures for bigger zooming in …
The one you are looking for is tucked in next to the engine coating at the forward starboard corner.
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

I found it thanks to the above help. Yes, it was plugged. The previous owner actually had left a piece of strand wire through it, knotted on the end-- apparently he had the same problem. We exacerbated the pooling of water by letting the wooden blocks (the standoffs for the fuel tank) sit tight to the bottom of the compartment and lack limber holes for drainage. Now, to get the areas free of tiny debris again.

Again, thanks for the help!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Nice! We keep stainless wires in them that i can get to so i can give them a little shake to make sure they stay open. The air channels in the engine bed can also hold all kinds of nasty stuff if Air intakes are not sealed or left uncovered during winter. I had pooled water and gazillion nut shells in there
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Best to find the place(s) of water ingress. I started with rebedding the fuel fill. Someday I will raise the fuel fill ever so slightly to solve 90% of deck water flooding that fitting. Ah yes, already making next winter’s todo list
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Rain? What's that? I have heard rumors that water sometimes falls from the sky. BTW, Rick (aka WillieC) are you on your way to Princess Louisa Inlet yet?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”