• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Truck & Trailer Parking

Albin's "power cruisers"
Pegasus
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Palestine TX

Truck & Trailer Parking

Post by Pegasus »

OK road warriors...this one is for you. If you trailer your A-25 to new cruising grounds, where do you leave your truck and trailer while out on the water? Any tips?
"Skeeter"
1971 Albin 25 #748
Home Base- Palestine TX USA
SalishAire
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Olympia WA

Re: Truck & Trailer Parking

Post by SalishAire »

Really depends on the location but we spend a lot of time checking out options as we plan trips. Once while trailering a different boat to BC Canada we learned that the local "ramp" was a smooth rock and the parking was at a small pub just up the hill which charged a nominal fee. When we launch in Olympia Washington we are likely to use the Port of Olympia trailer lot or have a friend bring the truck back to our house. In Anacortes Washington we often launch at Washington Park (County owned) who has a good parking area but 2 week limit ($12/day) or at nearby Deception Pass State Park where the parking fee is $10/day (+ an annual state park pass + a launch fee) which has a much better launch facility and great overnight docks BUT requires timing your exit to the San Juan Islands for slack tide under the Deception Pass Bridge. When we trailer to Ontario this spring/summer we are hoping our daughter can arrange for parking in a friend's vacant lot. ...... Soooo the short answer is it all depends!! Now for the funny (to us) story: We were trailering one boat home (pre-Albin but the same size) and getting really ready to camp for the night (using the boat as a camper). We pulled into the only campground for miles (private) and asked if they had a site - "yes but that's a boat you can't stay in that". My wife looked the lady in the eye, "do you want to tell your boss in the morning that you turned away a paying customer because their camping trailer was shaped like a boat????" - We got the site and had no problem getting the rig into it.
Norman and Clarice Gregory
A 25 Hyacinth
Lacey WA
https://claricenorman.blogspot.com/
Pegasus
Mate
Mate

Post by Pegasus »

Too funny about the campground questioning your "camping accommodations"...You have some great info about what to do with the tow vehicle. It definitely pays to have family or friends in the area where you are going to cruise, to shuttle your tow rig back home for you. I know there are a ton of storage facilities that will let you park inside their secure facility next to the long term storage vehicles in the back. (for a fee of course). I just hope there is one close to where we decide to splash the boat...and an UBER to get back to the boat launch ;)
"Skeeter"
1971 Albin 25 #748
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Last two times cruising San Juans & Gulf Islands (2018 & '19) we've launched from Blaine because they allow up to 60 days free truck/trailer parking IF you register with the dock master. Lauch fee was $7, but that was 3 years ago so I don't know if that's changed since then. Prior to 2018, in 2014 & '16, we used to launch from Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham, 20 miles to the south of Blaine. They had similar arrangements and allocated long term parking in a dirt overflow lot nearby. But then they sold off that lot to developers and the free long term option went away and went back to 7 day limit in the main lot. But as I said, it's been almost 3 years since we were last up there. In 2020 we stayed home due to COVID restrictions, 2021 we did Erie Canal, and last year we stayed home for non-boating reasons.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Pegasus
Mate
Mate

Post by Pegasus »

It definitely sounds like it will be on a case by case basis. I guess it depends on the region and space available. It is a shame that developers mess up our good thing. ;) I am pretty used to over developed areas after cruising in Florida all of these years.
"Skeeter"
1971 Albin 25 #748
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Same place everyone else parks at the ramp. Sometimes week-long cruisers are asked to park at a more remote location, often 1/4 to 1/2 mile from ramp.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”