• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Installing missing rudder stabilizing arm

Albin's "power cruisers"
Riverman
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Manotick, Ontario

Installing missing rudder stabilizing arm

Post by Riverman »

I'm considering buying an A25 which lost its rudder stabilizing arm. What's involved to install one and where can I find that part?

Robert
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Installing missing rudder stabilizing arm

Post by WillieC »

What's a rudder stabilizing arm on an A25? Do you mean the skeg at the bottom of the rudder?
Riverman
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Manotick, Ontario

Post by Riverman »

Yes I mean the skeg.

Tx
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dundalk, MD

Post by Ed422 »

If you look for posts titled “classic Albin keels” (this forum) and “new rudder skeg”(Albin maintenance forum) you’ll see my problem with my Albin 30. My skeg and a chunk of the keel extension was missing. I worked with a local welder who fashioned a new piece for me.

In the “classic Albin keels” post, there are mechanical drawings of the A25 skeg.

Good luck.

Ed
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

You need some decent pics of what it is supposed to look like. It is simply a stainless pipe stuck into the keel with a fitting to support the bearing for the bottom of the shaft.

Apparently your boat has "touched bottom". Correct? Follow Ed's advice and maybe you come up with a flat skeg that could be bolted to the bottom of the keel. A decent fab shop could come up with a shaft socket/bearing for the pivot point so you don't need to match the original which uses a pretty custom fitting there. It is designed to remove from the skeg easily so the rudder can be removed by dropping it out the hull. (You will want it removable so you can pull the driveshaft out when that gets bunged up or you want/need to replace or upgrade the shaft seal. You should do all this along with this project. Once and done, including shaft alignment. Replace the rudder shaft seal as well.)

Yes, there is a fair bit of epoxy work involved, but not horrible since it will be mostly unseen...I would try to embed a hunk of stainless with threaded holes to match a flat bolt-on skeg. This job would be much easier if you flip the boat over. (See how helpful we AOGers are?!)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Here's another thought...Come up with an upper bearing/support well above the one in the aft cabin and eliminate the skeg and the bottom rudder support altogether. With the shaft extending into the aft cabin (tastefully done, of course) you would now have an accessible tiller in case the steering wheel falls off or the cables seize (right, tribologist?) or you are just bored. Maybe not my best thought...

On the Ancient WilllieC, gone to her new home, there is a big ole donut zinc on her skeg. More than once that zinc has saved her bacon by serving as a sort of "curb feeler" when trailering. That skeg protects some vital parts. Scrap this whole idea. However, a bolt-on skeg would provide even more protection to the very bottom of the aft end of the keel, the very point your problem began. Or it would cause more damage when it rips out. Just use your charts and sounder and local knowledge wisely. (More free priceless AOG advice!)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Actual A25 stainless steel rudder skeg,
DSCN3631crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

The pipehead under the rudder is available at albinmotor.com. The tube is a piece of sch 40 316 pipe. I need to check dim. I have the drawings for those parts to. Pretty easy job to make. Of curiosity, is it the one here in connecticut i posted about in 2019? WN 5087 GC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

There's your classic "bottom kissing",

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”