• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 limber holes: Engine compartment and others

Albin's "power cruisers"
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Re: A25 limber holes: Engine compartment and others

Post by Plum76 »

Interesting and timely discussion on limber holes. My project found one in the fuel tank bilge (to the main bilge), one under the helm (to the main bilge) and then the connector between the fore/aft bilges.

My biggest unknown is that I seem to be getting dripped oil from the engine bilge into the main bilge, appears to be weeping out of the common limber hole from the fuel tank/helm drains, which leads me to believe I have a weeping crack or pinhole between the engine bilge and the limber hole connector? Kinda of a nuisance mess.

I have ordered some petroleum booms that are advertised to soak at petroleum products but not water, but that’s just a band aid, would like to ‘disconnect’ the source rather than just deal with cleanup.

Unless someone has better info, I’m guessing that to resolve I’d be pulling the engine and doing the engine bilge refresh as main suspect of leak. Sealing anything ‘open’ with epoxy and doing bilge paint (have been using Jamestown distributors brand, which has been pretty durable so far).

Plum
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Plum,can you clarify "main bilge?" Is your definition of main bilge the forward area, under forward cabin sole?

On my boat, there is no access to the space under the motor pan. It sounds like you may have a crack in your pan. I just sanded off 40 years of oil and grime and repainted my bilge. ( I did not resolve the clogged limber hole yet) my engine pan had some weird cracks on both port and starboard sides. I should have taken pictures. IIRC, they looked like there were some 1" circles that got plugged. These were about half way up from the bottom. I'm not sure if that helps. At least one forum member mentioned a plug in the bottom of their engine pan.

I'm out of town for 2 weeks. I can take pictures detailing the location of my cracks when I get back.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Yes, correct, traces of dripped engine oil showing up in my forward bilge under the cabin sole, then migrating to the aft bilge through the under engine connection.

I think I've come to the same conclusion, probably a small crack in my engine bilge that 'connects' to the limber holes from the port/starboard wells under the fuel tank and helm compartments. I'd be curious to hear how you went about painting, did you just block the motor up high enough or did you pull it entirely? I'm afraid if I pulled it entirely, I'd end up doing a full gasket job to try and remedy the leaks, which wouldn't be bad, but could drag on. I can't see most of my engine bilge, pretty tight to the oil pan, so hard to determine exact condition. At 50+ yrs old, wouldn't be surprised for a couple cracks to show up..
nebulatech wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:12 pm Plum,can you clarify "main bilge?" Is your definition of main bilge the forward area, under forward cabin sole?

On my boat, there is no access to the space under the motor pan. It sounds like you may have a crack in your pan. I just sanded off 40 years of oil and grime and repainted my bilge. ( I did not resolve the clogged limber hole yet) my engine pan had some weird cracks on both port and starboard sides. I should have taken pictures. IIRC, they looked like there were some 1" circles that got plugged. These were about half way up from the bottom. I'm not sure if that helps. At least one forum member mentioned a plug in the bottom of their engine pan.

I'm out of town for 2 weeks. I can take pictures detailing the location of my cracks when I get back.

Jason
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I removed my non-working 40+yo MD17C. Currently engineless, I have a 25hp Suzuki in my garage and have been building a custom motor bracket. I'm waiting to finish painting before I install the motor, maybe another month?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Yeah, that certainly solves the access issue. I should really just pull the motor and regasket the few drips and treat the engine bilge to some paint, but I don't have the motivation to pull an engine for a few oil drips..
nebulatech wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:11 pm I removed my non-working 40+yo MD17C. Currently engineless, I have a 25hp Suzuki in my garage and have been building a custom motor bracket. I'm waiting to finish painting before I install the motor, maybe another month?
Jason
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

With the engine pan empty, check out the two holes or plugged holes on the sides of the pan just below the aft end of the front original engine mounts. We have been seeing saltwater show up in the engine pan and clear salt tracing leading from these holes/not holes. The saltwater is clearly NOT coming from the raw water side of the engine cooling and since I find some water in the engine combustion air tube square cutouts, I am concluding that the saltwater is sneaking in from the air vents on the back deck when in rough seas, or sloppy deck cleaning with an aggressive bucket. I am also thinking that the holes/not holes in the sides of the engine pan were originally intended to allow that water to drain to the engine pan, where it can easily (sort of) be cleaned up. Otherwise any water that gets into the ventilation tubes will stay there until we take it to DA's place in AZ where it would evaporate overnight.

See what you think. When the boat is sitting on the trailer in the yard, any water in those tubes just hangs there. However when in the water, the boat is never static and the nose often dives, allowing the water to migrate toward the holes/not holes. All this is speculation and subject to a real answer. The holes/not holes look much too purposeful to simply be dismissed and patched over.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

The holes/not holes are present in my pan as well. I'm not sure if they are still visible. I will try to get in there tomorrow and take a picture. If nothing else, you can laugh at my sloppy paint job.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

New paint, but the old holes/not holes still show:
20210820_123120.jpg
20210820_123131.jpg
20210820_123138.jpg
20210820_123148.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Thank you for those photos, your work looks great. I'm coming to realize how different the deluxe engine bilges are from the earlier models, mine is more or less rectangular with a small 'birdbath' well up forward, for things to accumulate.

I'm guessing that the hole/not hole marks are from the formwork from the original layup? I can't see another purpose, if the original intent would be to keep the engine bilge separate from the rest..

Interesting..

Jason
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I never thought of it being formwork. Good call!

As for workmanship, the camera covers alot. I will have to do some (a vey lot of) wet sanding and buffing, but that can wait until boat gets a motor and shakedown cruise!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Would it be fruitful to contact Albin in Sweden regarding the limber hole design? I speak 3 (non-programming) languages, but Swedish isn't one of them...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”