• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Auxiliary heater

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

A25 Auxiliary heater

Post by WillieC »

OK, I have spent the afternoon searching the cobweb for some kind of 12V fan aux engine coolant heater for the WillieC. It was chilly out there today and the Starfleet Commander indicated a desire for a little...extra...heat. Picky, picky, picky.

Our Volvo Penta MD17C has a Sendure heat exchanger that is easily accessible for providing a heating loop. I remember seeing one at Ladysmith last year, a little foot warmer that provided a little heat to the space right behind the helm. That location, beneath the floor and seat, is likely the best location for us.

So, what have you done? Have you ducted yours for defogging the windshield or run to the vee berth area? Any pictures?

Thanks for your input.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: A25 Auxiliary heater

Post by nebulatech »

Your post got me thinking that there was already a diagram for a heater. Sure enough, figure 24 of the A25 manual shows the install of an optional heater. It mentions an Eberspacher boat heater specifically. I couldn't find out any quick info on them, but that heating system is for the accommodation.

Since heat rises, and the engine produces heat, some sort of ventilation from the engine compartment to the floor under the helm would probably provide some relief at exactly the time when one would be wanting it. I would imagine any 12 volt fan, like the ones in a computer case for instance, would provide sufficient air flow. Just a thought. I doubt you're willing to cut a hole in the side of the motor cover.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

nebulatech wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:02 pm Since heat rises, and the engine produces heat, some sort of ventilation from the engine compartment to the floor under the helm would probably provide some relief at exactly the time when one would be wanting it. I would imagine any 12 volt fan, like the ones in a computer case for instance, would provide sufficient air flow. Just a thought. I doubt you're willing to cut a hole in the side of the motor cover.
Would CO not be a worry with that? Especially if the cockpit cover were to be zipped up.

Up here Princess Auto always has a selection of suitable coolant-supplied heaters of varying capacities and nature. I should imagine that its clone Harbor Freight would similarly, down your way. And for half the price we would pay! (No, no chip on this shoulder....)
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Nebulatech, thanks for the suggestion for using the ambient heat via air. There are plenty of calories available. Trouble is, I try to keep that box buttoned up for noise and fume reasons...not that there is anything wrong with the Volvo Penta...much...

I have considered a Mr. Buddy or whatever they are called, but part of what I am trying to do is also defrog windows, not make more steam.

Princess Auto, sounds like a blast from the distant past down our way. I walked into one of the remaining semi-locally owned and operated auto parts stores in Tacoma just last week, and realized after talking to the manager that I was looking for something from 50 years ago! You used to be able to get that kind of stuff just by walking in the door!

I did find exactly what I am looking for at a consignment shop in Gig Harbor, but it is about twice as big as is practical. I think I could eliminate the heat exchanger if I installed that coil. It had real fans on it too. Might need another battery just for them.

As to the Ebersprechensiedeutschenbacher heater...we still have that original heater installed. I even have the wiring diagram for it from some poor PO. Last time I checked it still blew smoke all over the side of the boat and back in the pilot house. I just think about all those friction/combustion induced heat packages going to waste from the engine. I do have a water heater (sitting in the shop) that I picked up a few years back at the Fisheries Spring Swap Meet. If I ever switch to a dessicating toilet and ditch the holding tank, I could install that unit and maybe plumb some radiant heat around the boat. Or wait until it warms up a bit. As Mr. K has noted, it's all about the comforts of home. Especially around the Salish Sea.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Thanks, Bob.

They have a little flat one that may just fill the bill. Looks like they supply everything but hose, which is easy to get. Now if they only listed prices on their site. Or maybe dealers.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

How about something like this on Amazon?:

Search this if interested: JEGS 70601 Auxiliary Heater Assembly

Tom
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

motthediesel wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:33 am How about something like this on Amazon?:

Search this if interested: JEGS 70601 Auxiliary Heater Assembly

Tom
That’s a sweet little heater! I just looked and it’s cheap too! $159 on Jegs
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

WillieC wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:12 am Thanks, Bob.

They have a little flat one that may just fill the bill. Looks like they supply everything but hose, which is easy to get. Now if they only listed prices on their site. Or maybe dealers.
They are probably not the cheapest source anyway. That JEGS unit looks good, they probably have others. What about JCWhitney? Or of course you could make Mr. Bezos a few cents richer. I am sure that a little Googling will find the ideal heater.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Bob Noodat wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:18 pm Would CO not be a worry with that? Especially if the cockpit cover were to be zipped up.
I would hope CO would not be a problem, because then it's a problem no matter what. However exhaust leaks are a thing, and it's a VERY good point.

The price of some of the mentioned solutions make them very attractive. Still, I'm the kind who likes to make my own stuff sometimes. I believe you could take an automotive heater core (provides the heat in your car's climate control system) and run it inline before your heat exchanger, build a box for it, add a fan and some ductwork to the appropriate locations (defrost windshield, foot heater). The $200 unit from Amazon is a heater core already boxed up.

The electric motor in my repower I'm planning requires cooling. Like you, I was hoping to make use of that heat energy, either for a small water heater or a cabin heater, so I'm interested in how you make out with this WillieC.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Back to Eberspacher heaters: very expensive new, and very efficient. We have one in our old Westfalia and it seems to make no difference at all to fuel economy when it is running. Somewhere I have a simple troubleshooting/repair guide written by a clever owner that I could find if you are interested Willy. I would get the Eberspacher going before spending any time or money on any other idea. Eberspachers are actually quite simple in design and safe in use.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Part of the Eberspacher issue is its ducting...everywhere but the pilot house! But that is easily remedied. Maybe I need to raise the exhaust outlet, extending it. (I really should check it out...it's free, duh!)

"Still, I'm the kind who likes to make my own stuff sometimes." My fatal flaw. What you suggest, nebulatech, is exactly what I could end up spending a whole lot of time (my most valuable asset) on. Years, decades, millennium ago, I, barely out of my teens, was indentured to my brand new father-in-law. In a good way. Sadly, he succumbed early to lung cancer and I inherited the job of closing down the business, heating and A/C. We installed hot water radiant heat, this being northern Illinois, among other lines and he had a bunch of used radiant wall heaters, baseboard strips, that I ended up tearing apart and recycling the copper. What I would give for a couple chunks of that... well not much, actually. I am partial to free junk I can spend plenty on repurposing.

We pondered naming the boat FREE WillieC, but the Starfleet Commander objected and the name was sort of taken. At least it sounded better than Cheap A... WillieC.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Also Eberspacher Zarathustra! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfe8tCcHnKY
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I have a heater fitted just under the step leading into the fore cabin that derives its heat from the engine coolant. I am pretty sure it is a generic auxiliary cab heater and it is a dead match for the one that was in a previous boat I owned. In my previous boat it was mounted in the side wall and blew at the feet of the helmsman. I am also sure that I once saw the heater under the dash of a moving van I rented.

These heaters aren't "marine" but the core and piping is copper so no worries there. If you mount it in a location that is protected from rain and splashes it will last a long time.

The point I am coming to is it would be worth checking out a wrecking yard and see what might be found in the "older vehicle" section, preferably truck or trades van where generic parts can still be found.

The attached picture is similar to the units I am talking about but the piping and vent are oriented slightly differently.
Auxillary Heater.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

You got it, Mr. K. Junkyard special, only where are the junkyards these days? Pretty much outlawed down here.

I fooled around with the Eberspanker today. Worked good once I got fuel to it, then it crapped out. A bunch of unlit fuel somewhere. Can't wait to light it the next time! Fahr in the hole!

I am close. Not quite. I remember the old VW heaters. Gas fuel and a glow/spark plug. A bomb waiting to happen. I was too scared to install it.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”