• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel tank

Albin's "power cruisers"
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Re: Fuel tank

Post by patclem »

I don't have much to add, except my tank has an additional port for the diesel heater which is long gone. I'm working on a used Airtronic I bought to get in there to extend our season.
I also want to say that is the coolest deck you have. Is that real wood, and did you install it yourself? Don't want to hijack the thread, but that is cool.
1972 A25 hull #1366
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Post by patclem »

Oh, I do have one more thing to add. My Racor 500 that I mentioned before is mounted to the aft most bulkhead under the rearmost floor panel. It barely fits, and I can barely get a pan under the drain to purge water out. It's definitely worth having it, but it has compromises.
1972 A25 hull #1366
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The flooring was done by the previous owner but he gave me the left over materials for any needed repairs. It is self-adhesive strip vinyl flooring from Home Depot laid up on the original plywood floor. Each strip is positioned to leave a uniform gap. He fitted it out and then applied white sealant as the highlight filler. I am going to have to re-do a couple of panels this winter. The self-adhesive tends to soften and lift in direct sunlight. Up to now, when a "plank" loosens the cure has been to clean off the adhesive and use contact cement instead. I think he had a great idea that was very economical to install with only a minor drawback. I'll post the project once I get started. It's very durable and only the exposed panels have presented an issue.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Only thing I can add is that on our boat the plate with 5 screws & surrounded by brass is where the fuel gage float is installed, except on my tank it's closer to the longitudinal centerline & is purely mechanical like one you'd see on an outboard motor portable gas tank & visually read directly through a hole in the floorboard.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

I have this same style of purely mechanical gauge, but it was mounted closer to the vent bung, so in it’s travel, it would hit the shallow side of the fuel tank, so below 3/8 or 1/4, couldn’t tell where the fuel was. The flange it mounted to was thin and warped, and the threads in the flange weren’t quite right after all the years. As a result, the gauge would weep when the tank was full.

My tank is at the fab shop waiting for a new 1/4” flange at a location further inboard and rotated to read looking forward. The 5-bolt pattern is asymmetric, some petroleum standard, and it only fits one way, so the prior location only allowed for the gauge to read upside down, which was fine, but annoying.

We discussed adding an inspection port, but with the gauge of the stainless, we decided it would be hard to seal and hard to fit with the baffle. With the filler neck and the gauge now being opposite each other, I have fair access in the event I need to clean.

Will refit the tank and have a look at locations. I have two penetrations into the engine cradle forward, but thinking more room aft of the tank, between the tank and bench, and be able to get under it for draining and service. I’d pull the fuel suction from the aft, inboard bung, to filter and then to lift pump, which should shorten my fuel lines. Will have to add a hole into engine to feed nearer aft, but I don’t see that being a problem, especially since I’ll be removing the mount for the existing fuel filter.

Jason
DesertAlbin736 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 pm Only thing I can add is that on our boat the plate with 5 screws & surrounded by brass is where the fuel gage float is installed, except on my tank it's closer to the longitudinal centerline & is purely mechanical like one you'd see on an outboard motor portable gas tank & visually read directly through a hole in the floorboard.
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Post by jerridsc »

Is the fuel tank set right upon the floor of the hull or are there stringers, foam or some sort of padding beneath? How is it held in place?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I stuck thin foam pads under mine with a solidish seal at the upper port edge since I found small bits that had rattled under the tank previously and were trying to wear holes in the tank (and the hull). Look closely for contact points and beef up the padding there.
Last edited by WillieC on Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Here is a photo of how it is held down. There are two slats that span the top of the tank; one end fits in a socket attached to the stringer that runs parallel to the engine housing. The other end has a bronze fitting that hooks under the edge of the fibreglass panel beneath the fridge shelf.

http://www.albinowners.net/aog/download ... p?id=18061
Hull No. 1013, 1971
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Post by jerridsc »

Thank you. That’s just what I needed to see.
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

My tank is back in hand, new gauge flange installled. The tank warped and pulled a bit with the heat and the thin stainless, but nothing that should affect use. I gave it a good rinse with hot water and installed my fittings dry, and now it’s in the basement waiting for spring install. I have it a quick once over with the wire wheel to get rid of all the drips of paint from the years, looking pretty good.

My tank straps are the same as mentioned above. When I painted my bilge this fall, I reinstalled thick rubber strips on the stringers as padding, and the same under the top braces, using contact cement.

As an aside, I had the welding shop clean up my wet exhaust pipe as well, had the replace the coolant connection bung and add a hose barb fitting to the end, prior condition was a rotten piece of threaded pipe, barely hanging on..

JP

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”