• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 trailer trawler destinations?

Albin's "power cruisers"
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

A25 trailer trawler destinations?

Post by patclem »

As we get more comfortable with our A25 and making some personalizations, we'd like to plan for some interesting multi-day destinations when it warms up. We're in the Nashville area, and we've hit Percy Priest Lake frequently, done Tims Ford Lake, started on Center Hill Lake and broke down.

Our big trip this year was four days on the Tennessee River from Hales Bar/Nickajack upstream to Chattanooga docks, through the Chickamauga Lake lock, past the nuclear power plant, past Harrison Bay, then back. It was a really spectacular trip, though painfully slow upstream at times in the narrow section of the river.

Looking for some good suggestions! Thanks!
1972 A25 hull #1366
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A25 trailer trawler destinations?

Post by patclem »

OK, here's my list so far.
  • St Johns River, up and back from Jacksonville area. Drive for me is like 10 hours at least. Good adventure, and I have a cousin in Jacksonville and brother in Orlando I might persuade for a visit.
    Launch in Pensacola, follow the ICW through Navarre, Fort Walton Beach (my home town), Panama City. Hit the beaches, restaurants along the way. Probably end in Ft Walton and get a ride back for the truck and trailer. About 8 hour drive for us.
    Erie Canal. Drive is very long for us, like 15 hours at least, logistics are complicated because I don't know the area. I'd love to hit the Finger Lakes. Everything would need to go mechanically perfect for truck, trailer and boat. This might be for retirement, though we plan a bigger boat and become loopers when that happens.
    Lake Powell. The drive for us is like 24 hours at 70 mph. It's a dream trip. I may have to fly out and rent a houseboat instead of hauling out there. Maybe when we retire.
    Lake of the Ozarks. Seems like it gets a lot of pressure during the boating season. Might be a place to hit on the shoulder seasons. Might be more of the same reservoir rambling, but it could be some exploring and I suspect there are good stops for restaurants and other tourist junk. 8-ish hour drive for us.
    Florida Keys. I helped a friend deliver his sailboat to Key West once. I'd love to return and do some exploring. Marathon, Bahia Honda, some of the parks... do some snorkeling. Drive is like 20 hours. Leaving the truck / trailer is pretty expensive. Need time for weather waiting before passing between islands.
Any others? Maybe we just don't have enough trailer trawlers in the group. :) I bought my A25 because it can be trailered, and it's a great setup for staying lots of days aboard (and also it's efficient and freaking awesome).
1972 A25 hull #1366
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I plan to take my daughter for her PADI open water dive certification in the keys next year. I'll be researching where to store the car and trailer. Marathon is cool, about half way between Largo and Key West. I've never seen so many yachts. Boot Key Harbor has over 1000 cruising boats anchored there every winter. I'm a little reluctant to trailer my boat down that looooooong bridge through the keys. Then again, motorhomes do it, so maybe its fine.

I'm going to mention some places near me, since I have done more cruising there: St Mary's GA, Beaufort SC, Beaufort NC are all nice, small historic towns. Many cruisers make Charleston SC or Savannah GA a destination, but I live in Charleston and I've not really cruised to Savannah. I've found that the visit by car is a different experience from the dockside visit. I personally want to do the dismal swamp canal. I've heard one must watch for poisonous snakes dropping from trees, but apart from that it might be really nice.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

There's a lot you can do up in the great lakes too, where we are. Lots of day length trips and little harbors, and the north channel is also on our list, some friends had done that last year with their Albin Alpha (?) sailing rig, looked beautiful.

Jason
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Re: Lake Powell
Never been there with a "big boat" but my wife and I have spent a good bit of time day tripping on there with our "travel boat" a 15" Grumman SportBoat/6hp Tohatsu. We car-top that on our truck when we pull our old Avion coach out west.

Lake Powell is a stunning place, and I don't know if you could see everything there in a lifetime of trips. We would love to have our A27 on that water for a month sometime, but that would be an ambitious tow from Northern NY. One thing I would say though, I would NEVER go there in the Summer. In March when we have been there, you see very few other boats on the water, but looking at the marinas and storage areas with hundreds of huge (like 70'!) houseboats, some with as many as 6 jetskis mounted on the stern, makes me think it would be pure hell in-season.

Another western Lake we have enjoyed is Lake Amistad in West Texas. It is remote, and commercially failing (due to low water), with derelict houseboats and closed marinas, but still huge and beautiful as well. The water there is very clear too, maybe not as clear as our home St Lawrence River waters, but not like the big mud puddles we find in so many spots on our travels. We ran way up the Devils River from the lake too, a very memorable adventure for us. It's not too far off I10, so it makes for a nice break on a trip out west.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I was just reading up on the trip to the Dry Tortugas from Key West:
http://www.msog.org/dry_torts_guide/drytorts_guide.cfm

This gentleman did it in a MacGregor 26. It's a bit ambitious maybe for an A25, just because the trip is 70 miles both ways, and there is very little in the way of outside help in the Dry Tortugas. Still, might be worth considering. Less risky than crossing to the Bahamas, which has been done in an A25.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I've owned 3 trailer trawlers. An A27FC, A Rosborough 246 and my current A25 deLuxe. I also have a family of 5. My thoughts...

The A27FC was a bit too big to tow, personally. I've always used a launch service. Trailers were cost prohibitive and my V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee certainly wasn't up to the task, at least not to travel to a destination beyond my local marina.

The Rosborough was borderline. I towed Boston to Long Island, NY, to get the boat home, but no further. Sad story there. Sold the boat.

My A25 deLuxe was a project boat when purchased. Now it is nearly a new boat. Like the story of the three bears, this one is "just right". I have big plans, but...

...DId I mention the family of 5? There is the wrench in the works. My trailer trawler travel plans will most likely have to wait until post retirement. Soon, hopefully.

In the meantime, I'm taking notes!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I can also throw my Sea Sport 2700 Pilot into the mix but it wasn't really a trawler (planing hull with twin I/O's). I did trailer it though with my Jeep... To and from the launch ramp at my marina. Not much "traveling" there.

However, its new owner towed the boat cross-country to Bellingham WA, re-outfitted the boat for twin outboards on brackets and towed the boat to Baja Mexico. Now THAT is traveling!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

THAT is DA'ing!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by patclem »

nebulatech wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:43 am I was just reading up on the trip to the Dry Tortugas from Key West:

This gentleman did it in a MacGregor 26. It's a bit ambitious maybe for an A25, just because the trip is 70 miles both ways, and there is very little in the way of outside help in the Dry Tortugas. Still, might be worth considering. Less risky than crossing to the Bahamas, which has been done in an A25.
I read a story of a guy that took a Compac 23 Diesel to Dry Tortugas. Very rough and stormy trip. The weather window is critical. I also have a friend that is a national park ranger, and she and her husband were stationed on Dry Tortugas. She said the ferry (big ferry) was always fun to see tourists getting off after a rough ride over. I'd still like to go some day, not sure the A25 is the right mode.
1972 A25 hull #1366
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by patclem »

nebulatech wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:49 pm I'm going to mention some places near me, since I have done more cruising there: St Mary's GA, Beaufort SC, Beaufort NC are all nice, small historic towns. Many cruisers make Charleston SC or Savannah GA a destination, but I live in Charleston and I've not really cruised to Savannah. I've found that the visit by car is a different experience from the dockside visit. I personally want to do the dismal swamp canal. I've heard one must watch for poisonous snakes dropping from trees, but apart from that it might be really nice.
I did some project work in Savannah for a couple years. I really love that town. I wonder if there's a place to tie up overnight? I understand the tidal swings are pretty severe, and not sure my 6.5 knots could get me out of trouble! I guess timing is everything. And talking about avoiding large ships...

I also have read about Dismal Canal. That whole area may be worth a week or two knocking around. I do plan to Loop some day, and Dismal is on the itinerary.
1972 A25 hull #1366
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Most of coastal NC/SC (Savannah being on the border of SC) has a tidal swing of around 5-6 feet and the counter current can be significant. Timing the waterway becomes an art, which is complicated by the unfortunate circumstance that occurs where certain bodies of water converge; the tide which was running with you will now be running against you. (or, as has happened on occasion, you transition these two bodies of water right when the tide changes, and it is counter to you on both bodies, resulting in a full 12 hour run bucking the tide and only making 2-3 knots). All of this is further complicated by the schedules of drawbridges, which typically won't open at rush hour or lunch time. Of course, the bridge openings typically only affect sailboats and large flybridge yachts.

Specific to Savannah, I believe Thunderbolt Marina is the main stopping point for ICW cruisers, but it's not in the heart of Savannah, so you'd need to take an Uber or the trolley if it runs that far. I've only been there by car, so I can't comment on the experience as a cruiser. Skipper Bob's Waterway Guide probably lists some anchorages closer to downtown.

When I did the waterway to the Chesapeake, we took the canal bypass in interest of time (in part this had to do with the tides). I still regret it, but it wasn't my boat. The Chesapeake itself, as you know, is a rich cruising ground, but I haven't spent enough time there to recommend one place over another. There are many Albin Owners who live in the area, and could chip in with itinerary suggestions.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The Chesapeake itself, as you know, is a rich cruising ground, but I haven't spent enough time there to recommend one place over another. There are many Albin Owners who live in the area, and could chip in with itinerary suggestions.
That's right, it's 'gunkhole heaven', especially on the Eastern Shore. I've only really done the middle part from the Nanticoke River over to Solomons, Patuxent, & the Choptank to Cambridge & Oxford on the Tred Avon & a back way short cut to St. Michaels. But you could spend years exploring from Havre De Grace all the way down to Crisfield & the Capes. Word to the wise though, late June through August is hot & humid, like 90s with matching humidity & frequent violent thunderstorms. Really helps to have a dinghy too.

We'd like to return someday, but preferably during a cooler time of year.
Chesapeake course.jpg
DSCN2977.JPG
DSCN2936.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Searsport, Maine & Jacksonville Beach, Florida

Post by Scudrunner »

nebulatech wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:43 am I was just reading up on the trip to the Dry Tortugas from Key West:

My Oldest son and I did the run to Ft. Jefferson in a WWP P-19 with no problem. I wouldn't have any issue with an A-25. Many smaller boats take the inside route to Marquesas' Key, we took the outside route with good weather going but a little rough coming back. The Coast Guard is very active in the area and plenty of pleasure boats at the island beaches. Boat Assist and Sea-Tow are out of Key West if you have any issues.
qboat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Lewes DE

Post by qboat »

A nice loop from Norfolk is down the Dismal Swamp Canal to Elizabeth City, NC, down to Manteo if you have time, then back up the Currituck Sound to Norfolk. Make sure the semi-displacement "trawlers" don't swamp you in the Currituck. I have done it with a crew of four in my palatial MFG fast trawler Lark, AKA as a 15' MFG 1967 runabout with an old flybrige station grafted on for a standing helm, and to make a shelter area for small kids to sleep under the forward deck. As for the Eastern Shore the most neglected and beautiful cruising river is the Pocomoke, with its extensive cypress forests; narrow, mysterious and deep. Finally, DA--don't cruise the Chesapeake in July--October is the ticket. Nights cool enough to sleep, water warm enough to swim, no sea nettles!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”