• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

4d61 Starter Rebuild

Albin's "power cruisers"
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

4d61 Starter Rebuild

Post by Bearkeley »

Hi, does anyone have a lead on a place that can rebuild a starter for the 4d61? We took it to a local shop but unfortunately they can’t find parts. We had someone rebuild it a few years back but they went out of business.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: 4d61 Starter Rebuild

Post by DCatSea »

Hi guys - You might try Maryland Transmissions here in Deale/Churchton. They seem to be able to rebuild pretty much everything. They did my transmission four years ago (still 100%) and also my alternator (3 years ago and still perfect). If I remember correctly the bosses name is Dale, and his number is definitely 410-867-7911

BTW - I think Brian at American Diesel in Kilmarnock has a few new things for 4D61s. He just supplied me with brackets for my heat exchanger. Might be worth giving him a call
Last edited by DCatSea on Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Thanks Doug. I’ll definitely try them both!
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Have a safe, happy and mechanically/electrically successful Xmas and 2021.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

If that place doesn’t work, you might try calling Bonded Auto in Ellsworth, Maine. They have rebuilt starters, generators, and alternators for many years and the owner has a marine background and does lots of boat work here on coastal Maine. The starter on our Yanmar was rusted beyond rebuilding and he pulled one off the shelf. They have done Bosch stuff for us, as well some fairly off the wall stuff for us and others. Their prices are very reasonable and they have a sterling reputation.
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Just an update...tried to get parts for our starter but could find them in the US. Found a refurbished starter thru eBay France. Almost bought it but Brian at American Diesel found one new...probably the last new one in existence.

Also, FYI, per Brian:

Valeo #433233 replaces Paris-Rhone D11E161. The one in France was a Paris-Rhone
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Glad you got that sorted out.
I'm seriously thinking about driving down to Kilmarnock to meet Brian and see what he's got. It's also an excuse to stop at Hornes Diner/gas station at the intersection of 301 and 17 for a real breakfast.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I got a rebuilt unit (Paris-Rhone) from a British online parts site. It was pretty inexpensive (around $100) but the cost of shipping (heavy!) was steep. When it arrived, I was surprised to see that it was actually drop-shipped from Berlin. That's just how the modern world economy works, I guess. As I understand it, this is not the Peugeot passenger car starter, but the commercial unit, as used typically on equipment, tractors, and those crazy Citroen vans.

My own starter was working fine, I just wanted to make sure I had a backup while I could still get one. I installed it, but found that it only worked intermittently. So, I took it to a starter shop to have them look at it. I sure wasn't going to pay to ship that monster back to Deutschland! They tested it and found it in perfect working order -- weird!

After I talked it over with the re-builder, he came to think that the problem was that the starter circuit in the boat was only just barely able to supply enough current to pull in the solenoid. So, what he suggested was to install a high-amp relay on the solenoid, with a heavy wire right from the battery, and that did it. Strange to essentially have one relay operating another relay -- but it works!

Too bad no one that I'm aware of makes a modern, gear-reduction style starter to fit these engines. The starter on my Dodge/Cummins is half the size and weight of this one, and it spins that 5.9L liter like a top!

Tom

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”