• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Bimini (still) needed.

Albin's "power cruisers"
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

A25 Bimini (still) needed.

Post by Burton »

For an A25, does anyone have a Bimini frame, or Bimini canvas that they are no longer using? Even an old leaky junker for a pattern would help. With all the hardtops out there, I’m hoping I can find something! Thanks!
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: A25 Bimini (still) needed.

Post by nebulatech »

At the bottom of one of my crates, I have the Bimini. Its in terrible condition. I hung onto it for a pattern myself. I don't want to let it go, but I would loan it to you. Chances are you'll get around to your bimini before me.

Like I said, its rough. I will try to photograph it before New Years. Its hard to get to, because my new motor is still in its crate, in front of the old boat stuff. I just started exterior glass repair today. I plan to paint the topsides before mounting the motor, which sadly won't be done by Christmas.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

That is a very kind offer! I am also quite a ways in time off from doing this project, and just trying to assemble the materials. Some of the Bimini attachments are also missing from our boat—I think—and I have only a little idea of how it works. My hope is to get a frame first, or see another 25 to see how it is set up. Thank you for the offer and I will see if there are any offers for frames first.
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

You can measure the frame here at my heated shop in Solon. It is probably an original and the earliest version (just one simple arch) . Send me a PM, should you want to figure out details. My canvas is not original, but it may be worth of looking at too. There used to be a lot of info on the web, how to make patterns and other details for dodgers, biminis etc.
Jan
Slow Poke A25 #1110
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Are you talking open bimini or full enclosure? If you're starting from scratch with the original style single bow/arch be aware that will make it difficult to enter/exit from the side rather than from the back over the aft cabin top which is a pretty big drop down into the cockpit & difficult for some folks. Since you're in cool climate Maine you might consider a full length hardtop. But if not & want to retain something close to an original style canvas enclosure something like a double arch frame like this one on the Canadian A25 "Transition" might be more your style. This one is very sophisticated with side screens & windows & outer flap covers, plus adds some extra head room.
20190712_195520.jpg
DSCN1525.JPG
It has a diagonal brace for the frame that might made side entry difficult, but that could be changed. This extra height would be nice but precludes stowing a donut dinghy or kayak on the roof.

Ours has similar features but closer to the original design & kept the single arch frame. While we have davits for our Gig Harbor hard shell dinghy we can also carry a single seat inflatable kayak on the roof.
20190616_132547.jpg
If you're looking to sew your own DIY version you can find everything you need at Sailrite.com including reinforced vinyl patterning material so you don't need an old canvas piece to pattern off of and step by step how-to videos.

If you want to go the hardtop route here's a nice example of one we saw on the Erie Canal in 2015. He kept the stock canvas T top cover over the wheelhouse but added a visor over the windshield and a hardtop over the cockpit with lifting hatches to make side entry easier. This one has minimal canvas work. This was a really nicely kept boat. We got to meet the owner but I neglected to exchange contact info.
DSCN2419.JPG
Then there's WillieC's full length "BC" hard top, seen here at the Newcastle Island dock in Nanaimo, BC. Making a custom mold & doing a fiberglass layup might be difficult but you can see the advantage here of easy side entry & a great platform to carry a light inflatable dinghy on top without need for towing one or having davits.
20180627_164502.jpg
Especially if you have a friend who can tow you around with a motorized dinghy. :)

DSCN4107 (1280x960).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Telegraph Harbor...high tide.
Thanks for the great memory, Steve!
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Burton, keep putting it off long enough and I'll be able to give you full measurements when I make mine next spring.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Telegraph Harbor...high tide.
Thanks for the great memory, Steve!
Yes, those were some good times!
DSCN4256 (1280x960).jpg
Merry Christmas and a Happier New Year to all the Albin "family"!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I don't believe I've noticed before, but the hard top seems like a fine place to keep your dingy. Just like on the larger trawlers. I might have to move "hard top" up on my priorities list. Right now, its too cold to fiberglass outdoors though, even in SC.

That's also a clever arrangement for the radar reflector on the WillieC.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Here's another idea for a simple two arch frame bimini. This one more open. It was on the first Albin 25 we looked at & almost bought in 2012. Not sure where it is now, but someone else bought it not long after we walked away from the deal. Sometimes I kick myself that we didn't buy it. It was a DeLuxe version repowered with a newer monster 40HP Volvo. But it had serious shaft vibration issues which is one reason among several that we walked on the deal. They had zip in side curtains that went with it, not shown here. Note that the frame was attached to a sliding rail, so I guess it could be slid forward & folded up to open up the cockpit. This boat had a radar dome & various electronics but all were old & nothing was hooked up or working. I did like that split swim ladder & fold down boarding ladder. I have still not figured out a workable swim ladder solution since our swim platform is curved & too narrow fore & aft to mount a decent folding ladder.
Albin.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Henrickssons båtkapell in Sweden made the original ones and still makes them from the original templates. Awesome quality and fit. They are about $1500 or 1200 if you dont need the roof panel. They also make a limo version that cover the back cabin. It weight about 22 lb so it costed about anitger $100 in shipping.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

Thank you to all for the good advice. It is always nice when there is only one option, decisions are so easy to make! As a person who can have a good disagreement or argument all by himself, this is going to be tough. We have no canvas over the helm now, we used a piece of that plastic cardboard to get through the summer. It lasted this summer and worked well. So, that at least is the first thing to sew.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Burton wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:05 pm We have no canvas over the helm now, we used a piece of that plastic cardboard to get through the summer. It lasted this summer and worked well. So, that at least is the first thing to sew.
Do you have the flexible batten which runs athwartship?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

Sorry! I didn’t see this. We do not have anything that goes athwartships for the Bimini. The Previous owner apparently discarded it and used sheetrock screws to screw a sheet of plywood up on top.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”