• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yahoo Group, Albin Cruisers

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: Yahoo Group, Albin Cruisers

Post by JT48348 »

For anyone who is interested I recently posted a detailed comparison of the two owners sites on my website. It’s on my Albin 27 page, button above the Albin 27 Buyers Guide link.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

JT48348 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:58 am For anyone who is interested I recently posted a detailed comparison of the two owners sites on my website. It’s on my Albin 27 page, button above the Albin 27 Buyers Guide link.
Wow. I've tried to ignore your posts over the years until the last time I stepped in. I thought that was the end of it. Well, now it really is. You are no longer welcome here. i do not have the inclination to address your review. After all this is not Facebook and your post will not be taken down, even if it is incorrect or not politically correct.

Honestly. If AOG sucks so bad, why come here at all? (rhetorical question)

Good day to you
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I’ll echo what John is saying here. Personally I think it’s rude to come to somewhere, an active community and promote something of the same elsewhere.

I was once part of the Ford Focus Owners Club here in the U.K. where I was a senior moderator of the forums. During my time we had over 10,000 active users until Facebook and rival forums came along. It was such a busy group that we had to make it a limited company due to the amount of money changing hands with people joining the club. That was 20 years ago. Now with the arrival of the likes of Facebook, the limited company has been dissolved and all that knowledge is gone. Active users now stand at less than 100 and even less than that at car shows etc.

Those that are left know nothing, the information has been lost never to be found again deep in the archives of Facebook.

At 43 years old I have nor ever will be a member of Facebook - it holds nothing for me. So creating a dedicated group for like minded users seems pointless to me, but for the most advertising a competitor on the main boards is just plain rude.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Paul and everyone,

I want to clarify my post from earlier this week (#2 in this thread). I read Paul's original post too quickly and badly misinterpreted what he wrote. Specifically, I didn't realize that he was saying that his A25/27 Facebook group had been in existence for six years. I thought he meant that the dissolving Yahoo group had been in existence for six years and was in search of a new home. That erroneous interpretation was the basis for my encouragement of the Yahoo members to come here.

Paul, I apologize for my misunderstanding. In no way would I ever try to or want to hijack your FB group members. I've been participating in internet bulletin boards and forums since 1993, and I firmly believe that there is plenty of room here in the cloud for multiple groups. This forum already happily co-exists with two other FB Albin groups. Yours will be the third.

I'm looking forward to lots of back and forth between this forum and the A25/27 FB group.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Yikes! What a prickly pear that guy is. Still, I hope no one here is overly upset by that -- the down side to dealing with folks in online forums is that some people just can't play nice. I've been involved in a lot of special interest forums over the years (Norton motorcycles, Toyota Landcruiser, Porsche 356, etc) and you usually find a few who's underwear always seem to be in a bunch about something.

I was happy to find this resource, it's a small group, but there were never that many of these boats sold in the first place. As for FaceBook, if other owners find that group helpful - fine, but I just can't go there.

In this festive season, my personal thanks goes out to the folks that do the work to keep this site up and running, and helpful for all of us -- danke!

Tom
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

For years, MTOA, the largest trawler owners association refused to use Facebook for the very same reasons identified here. However, once people realized that Facebook was a way to complement, not replace, the forum, it turned out to be a great way to enhance the member experience. It allowed members to share pictures and travel updates as well as introduce MTOA and the cruising lifestyle to those interested.

AOG was the main reason why we bought our MaryJo. Reading old threads about CapVic’s acquisition, rebuild and ultimately, the need to sell her was invaluable. We still find AOG a valuable resource as we try to solve challenges or explore possibilities and as long as we continue to be kind and helpful to each other, believe it will continue to do so forks long as our boats exists.

With that said, for those who already have a Facebook account or interested in signing up, it may be worthwhile to join the Facebook group to “meet” others with similar interests, share updates on your recent travels and maybe, even promote AOG to potential members. Happy New Year!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

"As of year 2020 it [FB Albin] boasts about 550 members from all parts of the world. I don’t belong because I don’t have a Facebook account."

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and well-informed insights into the FB page. Not sure how you came to these conclusions, but then ....

I do very occasionally visit FB, through a different persona who doesn't comment for fear of being "outed" as a FB browser. It does have a good following, and offers plenty of inputs and insights on a short term basis. However, it's still FB, and therefore not for me.

Personally, I have found AOG to be welcoming, extremely useful (especially the archival stuff) and easy to negotiate. The hats and burgees are pretty good as well.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

JT48348 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:58 am For anyone who is interested I recently posted a detailed comparison of the two owners sites on my website.
Wow is right. This "review" was a juvenile attempt at self validation. John, you're the better man for taking the high road.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”