• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Front Hatch: Used Lewmar Ocean 60 Series

Albin's "power cruisers"
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

A27 Front Hatch: Used Lewmar Ocean 60 Series

Post by SkipRocks »

Over the years there's been quite a bit of discussion regarding the front hatch in the A27. The cutout hole size is 19 3/4" X 19 3/4". I think the original hatch was a Taylormade. There are a couple of manufactures that I know of fit the exact opening:
Bomar 900 Series (model G995111)
Lewmar Ocean 60 Series (model 39660050).

I replaced my original leaky Taylormade hatch on my '85 A27 Sport Cruiser in 2015. Prices vary, but it's basically a $400 hatch plus or minus $50. The Bomar works fine, but it is plastic and felt very flimsy until it was installed and firmly attached to the deck. Not placing any blame on Bomar, but I have manage to break both of my latches off. Yes, the hatch was closed in a rush with a considerable lack of finesse due to heavy and unexpected seas coming over the bow.

I just replaced it this fall with the Lewmar hatch. Made of anodized aluminum it's definitely solid, the acrylic is a half inch thick and it's basically idiot proof. Pricing was all over the board on the web, anywhere from $600 to $850 new. I purchased mine from Hodges for $600, but it was still about $675 after taxes and shipping.

There's a used marine store in Fort Lauderdale, FL called Sailorman. It's one of my favorite 'go to' used marine parts emporiums. They sell new, used and by consignment. I generally stop by every time I'm in town just to browse. They have a stack of used Lewmar Ocean 60 Series hatches for sale. They are used, had been painted white and are listed for $295 each. There website says they have 9 for sale, but I only counted six when I was there last week. Here's the link for anyone that's interested.

https://www.sailorman.com/store/p10444/ ... _9%29.html

Skip
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A27 Front Hatch: Used Lewmar Ocean 60 Series

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I considered something like that when I made my wheelhouse hard top. I would have needed two 18X18 hatches. So I built my own teak hatches from scratch. Framed with Iroko, so called "African teak", with two layers of plywood, inner layer of 1/4" birch ply painted with white Interlux deck paint & outer layer of 10mm marine grade teak veneer Okeume ply with a 10x10 center tinted plexi windows. I "kerfed" the outer veneer ply with shallow grooves filled with black polysulfide caulk to simulate planking & finished it all with varnish over epoxy resin. Then I made Sunbrella canvas covers to help preserve the finish. They've held up well in the five years since I made them. Totally watertight too. To buy a pair of Lewmar or Bomar hatches would have set me back at least $1,300. Not to mention I was dealing with a curved surface.

DSCN2007.JPG

DSCN2055.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"the hatch was closed in a rush with a considerable lack of finesse due to heavy and unexpected seas coming over the bow."

OK, start a new post and tell us the whole story. You don't get off THAT easy!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"the hatch was closed in a rush with a considerable lack of finesse due to heavy and unexpected seas coming over the bow."
What, was that during a crossing of Strait of Georgia? :D
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I wondered the same, but nope...Florida is a reach too far.
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

My experience with the (original) bow hatch is there's no damage risk until the young grandkids go with us.

They love sitting up front on the deck, and the easiest way to the forward deck is from the v berth up through the hatch. Mom or Dad used to open the hatch from below and hand them up to the other parent on the deck. They're now old enough to make their own way up through the hatch.

I've always worried about the handles getting broken by inexperienced folks, so each time the kids are with me I repeat the need for careful use of the handles.

Luckily no broken handles or leaking hatch yet and the kids still love me (I think).
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Post by sailonset »

I found one on Amazon from their "warehouse" at about 50% off.
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

Post by SkipRocks »

Facts be known it shouldn't have been "unexpected" at all. Heading back out through the inlet at St Augustine for the third time that day, but the sun was down and the tide had turned. Should have known... Do now.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”