• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Md2b

Albin's "power cruisers"
Colinhorel
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Saltspring

Md2b

Post by Colinhorel »

New albin 25 owner here, jyst bought Maya, bring her home to Saltspring, engine change to Yanmar first order of business...found a fella up in Coombs that has an MD2 for 750 if someone needs a cheap change or parts, I was going to buy it as Maya has a bum ticker but found the Yanmar which is a lot easier to get parts for, if anyone is interested email me and I can give you his number
srcody617
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston Mass.

Re: Md2b

Post by srcody617 »

congrats!! SALTSPRING, as in BC? I have an old friend on Saltspring Island.
Keep us posted on your repowering, huh? Photo essay....
Was the old engine working well enough to get you home OK?
Brucer
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Deep Cove, North Saanich, BC

Post by Brucer »

Was it an MD2 or an MD2B? Thanks for this.
Bruce
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

The thread topic states MD2B. Lots of parts interchange with the MD3B. I may have a few parts and pieces laying around. Cheap.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

There's two A25s on Pender Island, one on Mayne Island and 2 on Saltspring Island. They must roam at night and breed! Join the BC Albineers and meet up with other owners in the area. We just held our last rendezvous for this year at Genoa Bay but more will come.
Genoa Bay 1.jpeg
Genoa Bay 2.jpeg
Kristen is from Mayne Island.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Albineers of BC is a great group. We really enjoyed meeting everyone at the 2018 & 2019 rendezvous at Ladysmith Maritime Society marina & especially Dave K's hospitality at his home on N. Pender in 2018. Hopefully we can return again sometime in the near future, if not next year then soon after.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

RE Yanmar repower: we inherited a 24 HP Yanmar 3GM30F installed circa 1990. When we took ownership in 2014 it had 537 hours on the meter & now reads 1249 hours. From notes & documentation passed on to us it appears the engine, which is mid to late 1980's vintage, had approximately 2,500 hours when the current meter was installed. So now it has roughly 3,750 hours & still runs great, doesn't smoke or burn oil. The only downside to Yanmar is their 'Nazi' parts policy in which licensed dealers can only sell within their assigned territory & parts are expensive. For example a new raw water pump was over $500 US. Our sailing friends that crusied BC with us in 2016 had the raw water pump shaft seal on their 2GM20 fail up in Nanaimo & cost over $600 in US dollars to have it rebuilt. A new pump would have been $800.
On the other hand Yanmars weigh less than Volvos & run quieter.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"On the other hand Yanmars weigh less than Volvos & run quieter."

That hurts! Having recently returned from a mini two week cruise, I notice that every communication between the Starfleet Commander and the chief cook and bottle washer begins with,

"WHAT?!"

Now, back on topic..., Is the MD2B 33% quieter than the MD17C?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Sorry Rick. We never did get a chance to ride in your boat or be aboard to hear the engine running & compare. I can only go by our impression of Stephen Duggan's (aka sunsetrider) MD17C powered A25 "Manatee" when he took us for a spin around the Thousand Islands on St. Lawence River off Gananoque, ON in 2017. It was a big shock compared to what we're used to with La Dolce Vita.

Now imagine motoring 328 statute miles from one end of Erie Canal to the other. Of which we only did bit over half way.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Brucer
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Deep Cove, North Saanich, BC

Post by Brucer »

My MD2B runs great and is still strong....just always thinking a second motor might be nice, just in case this one packs it in one day...so not really looking for parts, but a replacement engine if anyone knows of one kicking around.
Thanks.
Bruce
Puffin

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”