• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Refrigerator Recommendations

Albin's "power cruisers"
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Searsport, Maine & Jacksonville Beach, Florida

Refrigerator Recommendations

Post by Scudrunner »

As I prep the boat, I'm looking at installing a refrigerator. I think tribologist did a post a couple years ago of his install. I'm thinking about doing the same thing just want to find the right refrigerator that's going to hold up. I'll be installing two 200w solar panels and a two battery bank to power the refrig and some have some auxiliary power.

What has worked ... What hasn't and what should I stay away from?
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: Refrigerator Recommendations

Post by Ambler27FC »

I have an ISOTHERM 100 3.5cf installed (by previous owner), and it has worked flawlessly. I just looked it up though, and very expensive. Nice features are switching automatically between AC and DC (saves an inverter for other things) and the latching door. It draws about 3A on 12VDC after cool down.

My two solar panels (120A total) provide .8A to 2.2A in practice. With two 6V 230Ah batteries in series it is no problem keeping the fridge running at anchor for a day or two. An hour with the engine running, and you're back to normal.

A strap around the door under way can also ensure there are no problems in bigger waves.

I try to minimize the luxuries, but man I love having that fridge on a long trip.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Ours is still happy and has performed flawlessly. I keep it plugged in from April to October. We bought that in May 2019 a 48 qt Auransvik.

I think most are the same. Its a simple brushless compressor and a basic motor drive. The Chinese build better stuff like that than anyone else. Just look how well Midea does on AC units.

There are a few in that size. The exact one is not there but if you tell me the dimensions i can put it in the cad model and update the drawings. I think all the wood parts has complete drawings.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

By the way.. it looks like two D12 deep cycle can fit under the fridge.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Scudrunner »

Thanks... Amazon says the Auransvik isn't available so I might have to with another brand. I like your write up and will copy it... It looks good. I did the measurements yesterday.
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Scudrunner »

Thanks... Amazon says the Auransvik isn't available so I might have to go with another brand. I like your write up and will copy it... It looks good. I did the measurements yesterday.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/83b5a ... 9c3852fed5

This link should let you look at it. If you are serious of building it I can update the drawings
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

Our icebox was modified by our previous owner with a 12v fridge/freezer. With our solar panels, we are able to stay on the hook for 10-14 days at a time.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7772&hilit=Vic+vit ... Vic+fridge
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Scudrunner »

tribologist wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:10 am https://cad.onshape.com/documents/83b5a ... 9c3852fed5

This link should let you look at it. If you are serious of building it I can update the drawings
This is awesome! I think I'm leaning towards the Whynter FM-45G. Does anyone have experience with the Whynter?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

This is what Stephen D, aka "Sunsetrider" had in his A25 "Manatee" up in Ontario, Canada. He has since sold that boat and upsized to a Carver 28 Riviera, which has a similar center cockpit-aft cabin layout but has twin gas engines & can pass anything but a fuel dock.. Don't recall exactly what brand the fridge was, maybe an Engel or equivalent? He had a huge solar panel that almost completely covered his main cabin top to help power it. You'll have to PM him for details. Just in general I would think that a top opener like this would be more efficient at keeping things cold than a front opener since cold air sinks & escapes every time you open the door of a front opener. But with a top opener like this you'd need a slide out shelf. If we were to get a powered fridge I'd go this route. I've already spent so much on our boat we'll probably just stick with the KISS principle with a cooler & block ice & minimize things that need to be kept cold like Lynn & Larry Pardey do. We don't have too many more years ahead of us, maybe 5 or 6 at most, before we age out of boating. Our boat never had a fridge or cooler installed in that side location & we use the space for storing things like engine spares, shore power cord, and spare anchor & rode. We use the seat locker on that side for extra anchor lines & a wash down bucket, and the starboard bench seat locker is taken up with the battery banks since we moved them there to make room for the larger holding tank. Engel makes versions that are more suitable for marine use by using ABS plastic for the outer housing rather than rust prone painted steel.

https://engelcoolers.com/products/45-pl ... 2491808901

You're looking at $850 to $1,050 depending on model.
20170902_135445 (1280x720).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I created a branch Whynter45 and added the fridge and changed the drawer depth to 16.75 " between the insides of the 2.5" aluminum angles. It is close in the back. Would be easy to move it out a little. If you measure the horizontal distance from the inside edge of the bottom edge to the back wall (hull) you need 11.2"

It might make sense to shift it out about an inch depending how the hinges are made on the fridge. You like it to be vertical and rest against the shelf. We have a cord and a hook on the inside of the lid that allow us to lock it in the out position

You also need to cut the top edge a bit.

Once you have it in hand and can do accurate dimensions I will update the model and make batter drawings of the parts unless you figure Onshape out yourself. Its quite easy. There are about 6 lectures in the free training materials you need to be able to modify the parts and make drawings. .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I think he used a horizontal slide (Base mount) mounted to the back and the bottom in his design. They are wicked expensive in stainless. About $400, but they will make a very nice installation.

One of the problems you will have with the Whynter is the location of the DC plug. You may have to relocate that.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Setpower 47 Quarts 12 Volt Refrigerator, Portable Freezer Fridge, 0℉-50℉, DC 12/24V, AC 110-240V, Car Refrigerator for Travel, Camping, Road Trip, RV
Visit the Setpower Store
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 ratings
Price: $369.00
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Scudrunner »

tribologist wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:01 pm Setpower 47 Quarts 12 Volt Refrigerator, Portable Freezer Fridge, 0℉-50℉, DC 12/24V, AC 110-240V, Car Refrigerator for Travel, Camping, Road Trip, RV
Visit the Setpower Store
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 ratings
Price: $369.00
This one is off the radar and not reviewed much in the boating world. I like the double latches and they look more robust. It doesn't get as cold as the others I've been looking at. Let me see what else I can find out about it. Amazon reviews can be miss leading.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I installed a Dometic 75 quart Dual zone fridge along with solar panels etc in my A25, works great, we freeze 4 trays of ice a night and have ample room in it for bevies and everything else we want.
I wouldn’t go cheap on a fridge, a decent compressor fridge of good quality to make all the work you do installing it all worth it.
This link is to my thread page with some of the info. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11164&start=135

Last year before heading out I finished cleaning up the install making it more robust and cut down the shelf above it and re installed it, only issue I have in that particular location is with the fridge rolled out getting stuff the main cabin door needs to be closed which is a bit of a pain when prepping down in the cabin, otherwise it has been a great addition that easily runs on the 200 watts of solar.

Dual zone is fantastic, being able to control temps in either zone separately or changing the zones to have the larger compartment be freezer or have the whole fridge freezer or fridge gives us many options.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”