• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Couple questions on MD17C cooling

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Couple questions on MD17C cooling

Post by NickScheuer »

I usually change engine coolant from water to antifreeze for Winter layup simply by disconnecting the intake hose from the thru-hull so it can suck antifreeze from a bucket. Last fall I ran the engine awhile until it got hot, and still no suction out of the bucket, not discharge from the exhaust, so I drained all the water by opening the cylinder cocks, disconnected the hoses on the transmission, and removing the water pump impeller (looked ok). There would seem to be only two reasons I'm not circulating coolant, pump impeller shaft not turning (engine problem?) or a clogged intake hose/thru-hull.

In order to check the pump drive without starting the engine I plan to slip a very short length of 1/2" hose onto the impeller shaft (impeller removed) with a toothpick stuck crosswise through the exposed end of the hose and see it it rotates when I hand-crank the engine. Does that sound like a worthwhile plan?

If the pump shaft rotates OK, I plan to reassemble the pump with a new impeller, install a new thermostat, and reconnect all the hoses. Can I leave the engine dry and assume the water pump will suck up water from the river when starting the engine? Or should I adds some water to the engine as I reassemble it? I'm not sure about the pump's ability to "lift" water into a dry engine.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Couple questions on MD17C cooling

Post by dkirsop »

Smear some dishwashing liquid over the impeller when you install it to provide initial lubrication.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Maybe a well placed mirror or a quick cell phone video will tell you if the impeller shaft is rotating, though your idea is fine as well. I get it, hard to be at both ends of the venerable MD17C at once

Mr. K is correct. Any number of liquids will help the first prime.

"They" say about two years for an impeller. Best if used. I pull mine out when we quit boating, then it's nice and straight for its second year in the spring. Bag it up and keep it out of the sun.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Thanks guys. The new impeller came with a small tube of lubricant. The main purpose of the short plastic tube and toothpick is for a positive indication of rotation (like a dial). The impeller shaft does not really project out from the housing and the cross hole for the impeller securing pin would be hard to see when I'm cranking the motor by hand (bilge not designed for solid footing).

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”