• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Canvas project update.

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Canvas project update.

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I mentioned this in another post, but here's my new dinghy cover which I spent more than a week working on.
20210426_173103_resized.jpg
20210428_104848_resized.jpg
It's patterned after a Sailrite project for a Sunfish sailboard cover.
Make-Your-Own-Sunfish-Lateen-Rig-Sailboat-Cover_2.jpg
Then the latest project, a stub mast cover.
20210506_175403_resized.jpg
20210506_175513_resized.jpg
I thought yeah, the mast cover would be a quick little job I could knock out in a couple hours. WRONG! The trick was being able to have it go over the contours of the masthead light and still be able to slip it on & off. In order to make that curved shape I had to make it in two pieces & sew them together at the front edge. Then to be able to take it off & on I made it able to open "butterfly" style I used button snaps to close over the back back edge. What made the whole thing tricky besides going around the masthead light is the variation in thickness profile. It's not just a flat slab, it tapers in thickness front to back. What I thought would be a piece of cake turned into a two day project with a lot of trial & error. You can't really see the button snaps in these pictures but they're there. The hot desert sun out here is just brutal on varnish, so all exterior wood except the name boards have Sunbrella covers. On the rare occasions where we might run at night I just remove the cover. The windshield wiper is off the boat temporarily, but I do have it.

As I write this it's 39* and drizzle in Traverse City, MI where Plum76 is. Out here in Phoenix area it's 92* & sunny at 12:30 PM MST heading to a high of 94. And it's not even summer yet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Re: Canvas project update.

Post by ssrig »

Looks good DA! You are getting good at that sewing thing!

I thought the mast could be taken off and kept in the cabin, at least that’s what I do with mine, unless you have the boat in the water all the time, I like the window cover the most, something I could use for sure.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Love your mast cover!!! I made mine a few weeks ago but am still having issues tying to shrink pictures so I can post them as all I use is a iphone
Dingy cover looks awesome as well!!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ives, the window covers were inherited from the POs, although I did have to replace one that got lost & sewed new binders around the others. They are handy providing extra privacy in the cockpit while docked in a marina. I leave the side window covers off when trailering because they get buffeted too much by the 60 mph slipstream. The windshield cover helps protect against stone chips cracking the windshield. Otherwise our big thing here is keep the blazing sun from fading the upholstery & heating everything up worse than it already does. We've already hit 100 deg F, which is what, 38 C? Today is around 94 F or 34 C which is about normal for mid May.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Dieselram94 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:52 am Love your mast cover!!! I made mine a few weeks ago but am still having issues tying to shrink pictures so I can post them as all I use is a iphone
Try posting direct. I think Collins fixed it about a week ago
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Vey nice work Steve!! Looks awesome!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Vey nice work Steve!! Looks awesome!

I need to get going on a front windshield cover. It would really help some days when sun beats on it.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

That is truly an awesome dingy cover!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

tribologist wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:34 pm
Dieselram94 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:52 am Love your mast cover!!! I made mine a few weeks ago but am still having issues tying to shrink pictures so I can post them as all I use is a iphone
Try posting direct. I think Collins fixed it about a week ago
I just updated my anchor light thread. I didn’t realize the problem had been fixed. Thank you for letting me know.
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

Dinghy cover is exceptional, nice work! I like the stub-mast cover too, my recreation of the stub mast showed some weathering even after 1 season on the mooring up here in the northern latitudes, but I wouldn't be able to run the cover as I do leave my LED anchor light on. I guess I don't need to by the rules, as my mooring should show up on the navigation charts, since it's registered, but it doesn't draw much and it's a little more notice that my boat is out there..

Jason

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”