• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How to remove prop shaft on Albin 27

Albin's "power cruisers"
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

How to remove prop shaft on Albin 27

Post by REO »

Do I have to remove the rudder to get the prop shaft out of an Albin 27? My boat is on a trailer and it looks like the rudder will hit the ground before coming out.
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Re: How to remove prop shaft on Albin 27

Post by REO »

Re-measured, and the rudder clears when the trailer is in the right position.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: How to remove prop shaft on Albin 27

Post by DCatSea »

I've just removed my rudder to remove the shaft, so I could put in a new cutless bearing, do a number on the stuffing box and refurbish the Vulkan drive saver. It made life so much simpler, and the rudder came out very quickly once I got the boat on the giant forklift; same putting it back in (yesterday). Shaft popped right out with no trouble. Everything is now back in and the whole drive train is very shiny and new, and may last a while longer with less vibration (not that I had much of that anyway).
Original cutless was in a bit of a state, down to the metal all through, and stuffing box really benefitted from removal and thread cleaning. I may be able to tighten it down (hopefully a long way down the road after initial tightening) without contorting too much. I'll be posting pix at some time.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”