• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Purchasing wisdom sought

Albin's "power cruisers"
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

A25 Purchasing wisdom sought

Post by homesteady »

Hi all,

Thanks for having me on board! I'm in the process of finding my Albin 25 and have been combing through the forum to learn more about these boats and what to expect with ownership and the purchase process. Glad to have this resource!

There are currently two prospective boats in my area (PNW- Washington) that I'm considering. They are both ~1975 deluxe models. One is definitely for sale, the other may be coming on the market soon.

The first is (actually for sale) listed at $17.5k, is mostly original with factory Volvo 35, pretty well kept interior but needs tlc/updating, no trailer, no major updates apparent. Has had a partial rebuild of the Volvo and gearbox in past 6 years and kept in a boathouse in saltwater. Owner has swapped the helm bench for a couple of SUV bucket seats which sound heavy and awkward to maneuver around but comfy for long hauls. The original gear is all there but sounds like it needs re-upholstery. Also the aft cabin needs cushions, forward cabin needs new or repairs to hull-liner. She did just have the bottom paint and zincs done this spring. I'll attempt to paste a couple photos of this vessel:

I think this boat has been in the water it's whole life or most of it. No bow eye for trailer. Any red flags? Should I be intimidated by the original motor? I've seen a lot of threads about motor swaps and wonder if this will be in my future or if these Volvo can go forever. Anything else in particular I should look for? Is this price way too high and I'm just being charged the PNW tax?

The other boat is a '75 Deluxe and I haven't actually seen it yet but have exchanged messages with the owner who is getting ready to move on (but a little reluctant). It has a new (used) motor and rebuilt transmission, new shaft, dripless seal, prop, fuel tank, rewired DC & AC, refinished woodwork, new canvas and new cushion covers. Left to be installed are a new color chartplotter, teak handrails and anchor puller. It also sits on a trailer and the owner keeps it shrink wrapped during the winter. He hasn't given me a price yet but she's obviously a well-loved and well-kept boat. Given the above information what should the price range of this boat be? I know it always varies but I wanted to bring this to the experts and see what you all think.

Thanks for any input you have or if you can point me to any threads specifically about buying a used A25.
Cheers!
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate

Re: A25 Purchasing wisdom sought

Post by homesteady »

IMG_20210513_053940.jpg
IMG_20210513_053948.jpg
IMG_20210513_054004.jpg
IMG_20210513_054025.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vashon Island, WA

Post by 11kolive »

A couple of questions for you Alex. Are you looking for a project boat or one ready to cruise with less work needed? The second boat sounds better to me, because I would not be looking for a boat that needed a trailer, the Volvo engine or more major work to be done.Mt he adding of a chartplotter or electronics is an easy install to me. A good surveyor can be a tremendous help here as well as other Albin owners in the area. We sold our A25 several years ago but count it the best boat for the money and the one with the highest rating on the fun meter for us. We launched from Squalicom harbor often and even from The park in Anacortes so the trailer is exxential to me. Having the boat in our driveway to not pay moorage and the convenience to work on her is a huge money saving decision. Launching is easy with these boats. Check out my old blog from one of our trips http://princesslouisa2010.blogspot.com/

Good luck on your decision!
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by homesteady »

Keith- I already read your blog! That looks like a trip I would like to take sometime, and the boat looks like it was a ton of fun for you all. Your thorough account just made me fall for these boats even harder and feel more confident of their seaworthiness and economy!
I'm not afraid of a project but I want a boat that is mechanically ready and safe to cruise right away with some projects I can chip away at over time. This is exactly the argument for finding a boat with trailer or getting one shortly after purchase. Our last boat was a very bare-bones 26' fishing boat so anything with bunks and a sink is going to feel way more finished-out than anything we've had before.
I like mooring the boat for 6-9 months a year and then pulling it home for winter and/or maintenance. You can almost always find a slip for a 25 in the spring and makes picnic cruising much easier.
I will keep folks posted of the price and condition of the "maybe for sale" boat. Hoping I can just make a cash offer and finish up all the details myself so the owner can have a clean easy break. We'll see.
Thanks for your reply and for sharing your story!
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

I would try hard to buy the one with the trailer, provided it’s a good trailer. Not just a painted steel one with issues. I purchased a brand new aluminum trailer for mine as soon as I got it. That wasn’t cheap but for what I paid for the boat I’m very happy.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Installing a bow eye is relatively easy and I towed my boat 400 miles home without one when I bought her. That said, customizing the trailer was challenging and is still a work in progress for me. Listen to Dieselram94!

I have no comment regarding the engines, but I can tell you that removing the hull liner is easy, but removing the glue is a serious pain, and nasty work. Glue removal is only necessary if you don't plan to add another liner.

I noticed what looks like a porta potty in the aft cabin pic. Different people have different preferences, but you may wish to inquire about the status of the original holding tank. I had to repair mine. (yuck is right!)

How about the stove? It's currently next to impossible to find an Origo alcohol stove since they went out of production. I just saw one on eBay for $550, used.

The liner, toilet and stove of course aren't the major buying considerations, but may be points for negotiation, or at least consideration.

Good luck with your hunt!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Buy the best boat you can find. If you want to get on the water. If you have the skills, time, tools, and temperament, and the living arrangements to accommodate a project, buy the cheapest boat you can find. Of course you know this, you are looking for the sweet spot somewhere in the middle. I'm not entirely sure a "newer" engine is much better than the original. You will have to learn its quirks as you go.

In my perfect world, I would look for the boat previously owned by a really old guy who used to own an A25 then moved up to a 60' Oceans Alexander, who then in his dotage fondly recalled all the fun he had in the A25. He would have given the OA to his favorite niece, spent his days writing checks to true experts who re-powered, re-wired, re-glassed, completely restored the A25 then succumbed on the day of launch, leaving the boat to his 18 year old bride who just wants to get rid of his crap which you happen to overhear in a starbux where she hangs out with her besties. Be sure it comes with a chrome trailer or a boathouse, all expenses included in perpetuity.

What I really did was buy the clunker you describe for nearly the same 17 Large. I have only two of the necessary attributes I listed at any given time.

Keep us posted.

PS. We hope to get to Bellingham this summer. I always enjoy showing off the WillieC. Perhaps we can meet up.
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by homesteady »

Thanks for all the input! I knew I was asking the right crowd.

WillieC- I'd love to check out your boat if you're in the area. Where on Hood Canal are you? We have a cabin in Brinnon not far from Pleasant Harbor. I've seen a couple Albins float by over the years...maybe that was you?

The more I read about the Volvo engines it seems like they are a really good powerplant if they're maintained well. I'm good at keeping ancient diesels running as long as they're not smoke-screening every time they get fired up. I think my biggest concern at this point is getting a trailer for whatever boat I end up purchasing.
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

We are in Belfair, the end of the funnel for the 13' tsunami that could happen any day now. Fortunately we may get several hours notice.

You know there is an A25 under wraps at Pleasant Harbor? I met a (former?) owner of that boat several years ago. Since COVID we haven't ventured far from home so I can't be sure it is still there. In the marina right next to the State Park dock.

You may have seen us, but not this last year. We'll be in touch.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

You need to see the other boat before you can make an informed decision. There are many "updated and Improved" boats that fail to make the mark when it comes to quality of workmanship and conformance to good standards. A well maintained older boat may be better than a newer "improved" boat. It all comes down to knowledge and workmanship. Right now you are faced with one that's for sale and another that is a maybe. You need to see the maybe and confirm it is for sale before making a decision one way or the other.

Don't let Mr. Dithers drive your decision making process.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by homesteady »

Thanks again all,

I had a chance to check out the other '75 deluxe with the trailer and "new" motor. The work done looks good to me, including the new canvas, refinished woodwork and updated electronics. The things I found out are that the updated motor is a 1200 hour Universal Atomic Diesel 5432. Its a 4-cylinder with 32 hp, rebuilt transmission, has a new shaft, prop (all converted to standard measurements instead of metric) and cutlass bearing. But the boat hasn't been in the water since the swap and still needs final alignment and sea trials.

The trailer is painted steel in fair condition and was built for the Albin (I'll mostly just haul to and from local marina twice a year for seasonal moorage and storage). It also has a 8-10ft tongue extension for launching in shallows.

Overall, there are a bunch of updates and improvements but not 100% finished. A lot is cosmetic. I really like the electronics package (includes recent radar, new depth/chartplotter, new electric windlass, AGM batteries, good charging system). Everything just needs to be put back together, cleaned up and splashed to make sure it works right.

Also the aft arch of the pilothouse structure is cracked--seems like a common weak point and not super hard to fix, but something that will need to be done. 110 VAC system needs to be finished. Transducer needs to be mounted for new sonar/plotter. There's work to do for sure.

He asked me to make an offer as-is and I did - Gulp - We'll see what he says.

I still want to verify the engine runs, gets to and maintains temperature, alternator works, etc. Anything else I should look closely at when doing another inspection while on the hard?

Cheers
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

Hi Alex,

Our 25 sat for about 18 years—whoever gets it from us will get a very nicely restored boat. One of our projects is a total rewire. After I read about a nine year old boy being killed by defective AC wiring on a boat. The boy jumped in the water next to a boat that had the AC wired like a house. It would be wise for all to make certain that the ground and neutral are not joined at the busbar on the boat. Of course, we should always check to make sure the shore power is as it should be. (If the shore power has the hot and neutral reversed, current can flow through the boat ground to the water. The human body offers less resistance than salt water, and is subject to being electrocuted by being the path of least resistance.).
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

I would add, while it’s on the trailer, make sure to look the skeg and bottom of keel over. Any bending of skeg or other damage? Is the keel cracked on the very bottom where the skeg comes out? Is the rudder delaminating?
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

While examining the skeg, the A25 has a unique fitting where the rudder meets the stainless pole atthe bottom of the rudder. I believe Albin still has the part available in Sweden, but it costs a lot. Something to investigate...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

nebulatech wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:09 pm While examining the skeg, the A25 has a unique fitting where the rudder meets the stainless pole atthe bottom of the rudder. I believe Albin still has the part available in Sweden, but it costs a lot. Something to investigate...
I have the drawings. Be happy to make one. How would you destroy one?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”