• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Tank Leak

Albin's "power cruisers"
MoodyBlue
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Stratford, Ct

Fuel Tank Leak

Post by MoodyBlue »

It looks like the starbord fuel tank in our 27 Sport Cruiser has a leak. I believe these are original fuel tanks. In any case, does anyone know if these tanks are designed to come out through the center double hatch in the main cabin sole? I did a quick measurement and it seems that way to me. Thanks for any input.
Kkelly27
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Oakdale, NY

Re: Fuel Tank Leak

Post by Kkelly27 »

This may or may not help you... I replaced mine 2 years ago and the tanks were pulled out through the double hatch. The starboard tank had a small leak in one corner of the tank and was removed "easily" through the hatch so I decided to have both tanks replaced. The port tank didn't come out as easy through the hatch and we wound up notching out a little bit inside the hatch opening to pull the tank out (and put the new one back in).

Note that these were not the original tanks, they were replaced once before, so it may be different in your case. The deck was lifted off at some point in the last 30 years and that may have been done to replace the original tanks... why else would you take the deck off? Apparently the tanks I replaced weren't installed properly - there was no neoprene(?) between the tank and the boat so the vibration of the boat rubbing against the tank wore a hole in the tank. New tanks were installed properly so that this doesn't occur again. Replaced all the fuel hoses as well when the new tanks went in so no issues with fuel supply.
'92 Albin Express Cummins 6BT
MoodyBlue
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by MoodyBlue »

Thanks for the input. We did get the the starboard tank out and it has been repaired with epoxy and epoxy paint. This was an original tank as it had the date and manufacturer on a label. Luthers in Bristol RI. We will re-install the tank tomorrow and will order 2 new tanks, with thicker aluminum, and install them over the winter. Will probably order the new tanks from the same manufacturer - why not the first 2 lasted 36 years! We found this tank easily removed but will expect some difficulty with the port tank as per your report.
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

Post by SkipRocks »

I replaced mine on our '85 A27 Express in 2018. We also had Luther's in Bristol, RI has built several of these. The only difference between these and the originals are that the drawtube and return fittings are recessed 1 1/2 inches, otherwise you'll never get them back in. The original tanks were set in place prior to the deck being mounted. I posted on this on 6/15/2018 the name of the post was "A27 Sport Cruiser Fuel Tanks" and there are some pics. Going to try and add them here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
MoodyBlue
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by MoodyBlue »

SkipRocks, Thanks for these photos and comments. I repaired the leaking tank and have used the boat all summer with no issues. Getting ready to haul for the winter and do the 2 tank replacement project. I'm confused as to why you needed the recessed corners? I understand your explanation but my original tank came out and went back in as is so I'm thinking of going with original dimensions rather than recessing the corners. Was also thinking of just having the new tanks built 1/8 - 1/4" smaller overall ti guarantee easy installation. I plan to communicate and have Luthers build the new tanks and your photo's will help in explaining the situation to them for sure. Any thoughts appreciated. Britt Hughes aka Shogun

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”