• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Show off your PNW 25 please!

Albin's "power cruisers"
SalishAire
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Olympia WA

Show off your PNW 25 please!

Post by SalishAire »

We are close to a decision to purchase a 27 but would like to see a 25 close up first. Is there someone with a 25 in Puget Sound or the Portland area who would show us their boat please. email salishaire[ampersand]gmail.com .
Norman and Clarice Gregory
A 25 Hyacinth
Lacey WA
https://claricenorman.blogspot.com/
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Show off your PNW 25 please!

Post by tribologist »

Posted the same answer on Facebook. If you are keeping it in a dock or a mooring and are keeping it at a marina during the off season you will be happier with the extra room and the less rolling in a FC27. If you like to DA with it you might be much happier with a A25. DA-ing is a term we use in this forum for doing what Dessert Albin does. eg Tow the boat around the continent. We will meet up with DA in NY this summer. He lives in Nevada and has his boat there. THeirs are SN 736 and we have SN 737.

You can tow around a FC27 too but it is much more of a project since you need permits etc. The A25 you just hook up and go and you can tow with a modest vehicle. We use a Sequioia. Today we had our son meet us at a ramp he dropped us off at the day before. We just drove up on the trailer and he pulled us out and we left the marina 12 min after we arrived. Its exactly 8'6" wide so no permits or anything is required and most ramps are deep enough. The FC27 take a more substantial tow vehicle like a F350 or similar Maybe a F250 with a heavy tow package? The trailer will be quite substantial. Not saying it's not possible but it is a different ballgame.

I saw your other post and drooled.. I love the Nordhavns! When I grow up I want one! But your previous boat, the Rosboro is very much like the A25 to trailer but a nicer Interior I think. I hope you get a chance to see one.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
SalishAire
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SalishAire »

Driftless: You've hit the nail on the head - the 27 would be great for the Inside Passage to Alaska but what if we want to tow it ourselves to the Great Loop or the Sea of Cortez? Our current truck would be pretty minimal or we could hire an RV hauler to take it. So the question we are looking at is how comfortable would we be in the 25 over a month or more.

(Sounds like you poked around our blog :-) salishaire.blogspot.com

Norman
A 25 Hyacinth
Lacey WA
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

See below.
PM me.
Last edited by WillieC on Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Come to Belfair. Today. I'm out of town tomorrow.
Seriously! Boat goes in water during one of the high tides coming up.
PM me.

We spent six weeks on it on our way to forever together (barring first wife's heavenly objections or approval). Still married.
SalishAire
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SalishAire »

WillieC:

Rich and Heidi thank you very much for showing us your boat (she's a beauty) and answering our many many questions!

Norman and Clarice
A 25 Hyacinth
Lacey WA
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

It's always good to share our experience with the WillieC!
Our pleasure.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

SalishAire wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:40 pm Driftless: You've hit the nail on the head - the 27 would be great for the Inside Passage to Alaska but what if we want to tow it ourselves to the Great Loop or the Sea of Cortez? Our current truck would be pretty minimal or we could hire an RV hauler to take it. So the question we are looking at is how comfortable would we be in the 25 over a month or more.

(Sounds like you poked around our blog :-) salishaire.blogspot.com

Norman
I sure did. I have not read through all of it yet but I will. Very nice of you to share it with all us dreamers!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Minor correction re Tribologist comments about DA (me). We live in Arizona, not Nevada. We tow with a Dodge RAM 2500 diesel 4X4 which is rated to tow up to 12,000 lbs as ours is equipped. That is a bit of overkill for towing +/- 6,000 lbs, but here in the west we have to deal with triple digit summer temperatures and miles long 5% & 6% mountain grades. Always better to have too much towing capacity than too little. The closest comparable hills I've seen in the east are some in West Virginia & western Maryland.

By the way our record for consecutive number of days afloat is 46 & we were quite comfortable, lacking only a powered fridge & on board showers. Spending a night in a marina once every few nights & using their showers solves that problem.

Our upcoming cruise this year will likely be afloat & on board from mid August to mid October, starting at the west end of Erie Canal & ending in Blades, DE on the Nanticoke River.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:56 pm Minor correction re Tribologist comments about DA (me). We live in Arizona, not Nevada.
Sorry for that... I know it was one of the hot places... I can't imagine how hot it is now...
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

DA lives in a hot place. Too funny. H E double hockey sticks!

Happy to report we now live in a cooler place. Watching those high clouds blow east in the waning moonlight was a real relief. Watching the boat bounce on the hook, not so good. Then the canvas enclosure opened up and I had to row out there on last night's high tide, this time with the life jacket. We forgot to snap the bottom edges of the canvas a couple days ago when leaving the boat in 100 degree heat on a dead calm Canal. Remember your routine and do it, every time!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

A25's get pretty hot inside when closed up & it's 100 degrees outside don't they! Actually we've reverted to seasonal norms with the onset of our summer monsoon season. Today it only got up to 102. Monsoon is a relative term not necessarily meaning any significant rainfall, not like the monsoons in southeast Asia. It's a seasonal shift of weather patterns from west to south. It's explained here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Monsoon

Today it only got up to 102 with slightly higher humidity & some more clouds. The last few years have been noticeably drier than in the past. I remember back in the 1980s the monsoon brought thick dust storms followed by heavy lightning & thunderstorms & downpours such that suburban streets flooded curb to curb. I was up at Lake Powell for July 4th in 1983 and at that time the lake was brim full. Today Lake Powell is down 140 feet from "Full Pool" level and only 34% of full capacity.

In any case we're set up for this kind of heat with central air conditioning & the electric utility companies (I retired in 2010 as engineer technician with Arizona Public Service Co. after a 25 year career, the last 17 years of which I worked in a planning department studying load growth & planning for system upgrades) build out the transmission & distribution systems to withstand the peak loads that hit when it's 116 degrees plus.

By the way, folks up in British Columbia are suffering too. After recording 121 degree temperatures last week the small village of Lytton, BC, up in the coastal mountains 200 km NE of Abbotsford & Vancouver is getting hit by a wildfire & facing the same consequences as the Paradise fire in California last year.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The fire season is off to the races and we won't be able to draw on resources from Australia as we have done in prior years. Canada and Australia have shared resources in the past with our fire season's being at opposite times of the year. A large Pacific rain storm would be most welcome about now!
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I was busy whacking my weeds this morning when I felt the faintest of marine mists waft over me. Not rain, not fog, not dew, it's hard to describe but oh so welcome after what we've been through. And a good soak would be very welcome, too.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The fire season is off to the races and we won't be able to draw on resources from Australia as we have done in prior years.
You mean no help from the US side? I hope its not so but if true that's a shame. But it has been an extremely busy fire season south of the 49th parallel. Resources are stretched thin all over. Right now 23 large wild fires are burning in Arizona alone.

The largest fire burning in Arizona is the Telegraph Fire in the mountains 90 miles east of Phoenix that has burned nearly 200,000 acres of mostly uninhabited forest & desert but did destroy some homes. Now there's speculation that the fire may have been started by Air Force F-16 fighter jets doing low altitude mock dogfight training maneuvers where they shoot off decoy flares that could still be burning when they hit the ground. The Air Force confirms there were jets operating in the area when the fire started but claims any flares that were released were above 3,000 feet AGL, high enough that they would have burned out before hitting the ground. This story in local news:

https://www.12news.com/article/news/loc ... 8279404d44

PS, We sure miss seeing the BC Albineer gang this year.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”