• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Source for A25 teak grabrail

Albin's "power cruisers"
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Source for A25 teak grabrail

Post by homesteady »

Hi all,

I looking for an equivalent teak grabrail for the topsides of our '75 deluxe. The replacement rails available off the shelf have a shorter center-to-center measurement than the original. I need to replace several and would be nice not to be filling and redrilling all the attachment points.

Any tips or referrals for suppliers is appreciated! Or are these typically custom when replaced?

Cheers
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Source for A25 teak grabrail

Post by tribologist »

You can buy them form Albin Motor in Sweden. https://albinmotor.se/en/albin-boat-spa ... boat-ad21/

The exchange is 0.12 USD/SEK

Stefan is super easy to deal with and shipping with DHL is only a few days and not to expensive. As long as you stay under $800 including shipping you don't need to pay any customs etc. He have the clips for the curtain rods, the bottom plug with the peculiar M15x1 thread and the air intake vents for the rear deck too.

Hopefully they are not closed for summer vacation.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
homesteady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by homesteady »

That's great! Thanks for the link
Alex
Albin 25 No. 1583
"Sandcastle"
Bellingham, WA USA
Pacific Northwest
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I looked at the pictures on yours. They did not look all that bad. LeTokonois will make them good again.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

The Sailor's Exchange in St. Augustine, Fl has generic grab rails. If you call them with your measurement holes, they probably have what you need. Shipping will be pricey, but not as much as from Sweden.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

https://www.sailors-exchange.com/produc ... handrails/

I figured I should add a link. I'm not sure they will have the right measurements, but it's worth calling them up to see if they have something that will work. At the prices they offer (about $10/"loop") it might even be worth it to make some new holes and seal the old ones.

It's also worth mentioning that I got an Origo alcohol stove, with the burners, in acceptable condition, for around $25 from this store. They sell new Italian-made BBB (or equivalent) chain for a reasonable price. I don't remember what I paid, but for what I would have paid for it at West Marine, I got the chain, all new dock lines (6) the stove, and several miscellaneous items.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

When replacing handrails it might be a good idea to consider improving the attachment. We had lots of leaking through the screws on Slow Motion, our A25. I can’t remember if the top sides are foam cored as the rest. However, there is a process of improving the mounting as used by Hinckley yacht where we live. First, an oversize hole is drilled from the top. Second, it is filled with a thickened epoxy mixture. Third, the mounting hole is drilled through the plug. Fourth, a product called Bed-it is used at the Interface between the handrail and the top side around the screw. It is like chewing gum. The stuff is amazing, and will prevent water intrusion. And, if there is water intrusion it simply goes into the epoxy plug instead of the core. As to the handrail mounting, one must drill the plug from below to correctly locate the screw. This epoxy plug also stiffens up the mounting for the handrail considerably. I drill about a half inch hole in the top laminate for the epoxy plug. It seems to be very adequate.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

There is plywood coring where the grabrails are.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Burton, your description sounds straight outta MaineSail and is the way to go. I installed new hardware this spring and went through that process with every hole. I even broke down and bought a dremel to assist the process. Something I wish I had purchased years ago.

Goggle Bedding Deck Hardware and look for MaineSail. (I'm too old to post a link.)

Ok, not that old...

https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Second, it is filled with a thickened epoxy mixture.
West System G/flex is also a good epoxy gel & easy to use. It's available in small batch tubes as well as larger amounts, resin & hardener gel mixed 1:1 by volume. West Marine & other marine stores carry it, around $29 for tubes as pictured.
gflex.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”