• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

found a A27FC, I must be crazy

Albin's "power cruisers"
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bristol PA

found a A27FC, I must be crazy

Post by deniseO30 »

Been awhile since joining here re- hellos to all! :mrgreen:

I'm really thinking of making an offer It's 1985 actually starts and runs!
Old timer owner claims 2000 +- hours on the Lehman 4D61 It starts getting hot if running at hull speed or says it leaks some oil, but I have to admit it was nice to see one and actually relize it would be perfect for the ICW or TomBigbee.

I needs allot mostly deferred mechanical stuff. he rewired the boat but... that's kinda sad. but he's proud of the new gauges.

I could drop 10K + for a repower or rebuild but just not sure I should! Just seems dumb even though I love to do restoration work

I don't think a long block is going to save me any $ I may call Bomac if I decide to make an offer on the boat.
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30(sold) , Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River.
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Re: found a A27FC, I must be crazy

Post by deniseO30 »

]Trying to load photos from my laptop didn't work see if they work from my cell phone where the pictures are
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Gee, it looks pretty nice on the outside anyway. Also -- when I clicked on the picture it turned right side up :D

The Lehman-Peugeot is a great engine (we have one too) but they are getting old, and parts are starting to be an issue. That said, the decision is yours, for a reasonable price, that could be a good buy.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Nice looking enclosure with vinyl side curtains anyway. Trust me, it's easy to drop $10K into "this old boat", even with a good engine. That's times four for us & I mostly do my own work. There's cosmetic & there's mechanical. If one or the other is good that's a nice place to start. Don't underestimate what interior restoration ends up costing if there's a lot of upholstery & re-covering of cushions, even if you do your own sewing. For example I made a pair of bench seat cushions for the cockpit from scratch & just the 3" foam alone cost $55. Quality marine upholstery fabric can run from $25 per yard up to $40+.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Post by deniseO30 »

20210706_111823_Film3.jpg
20210706_111827_Film3.jpg
20210706_111823_Film3.jpg
I'm a bit of a restoration aficionado I won't call myself an expert but my son and I used to restore Pontiac Fieros and I got into wooden boat restoration over 35 years ago I had plans to open a wood boat and antique furniture restoration business as my retirement business... After a lifetime in the HVAC business as the owner who just happens to know a little bit about mechanical stuff my son passed it in early age I got tired and got even more retired now I'm looking for something to do besides live in low income senior housing which seems to be the ultimate and for many of us.
I know how to work epoxy and fiberglass paint varnish woodworking yada yada I'm trying to decide if I want to get a little album 27 they do seem perfect for the icw I don't know about Open water like the Jersey coast between Cape May and New York but open water has always made me nervous. trying some more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Post by deniseO30 »

More..
20210706_102847_Film3.jpg
20210706_110601_Film3.jpg
20210706_102847_Film3.jpg
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Nice cockpit flooring. Looks like an easy way to spruce up the cockpit
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
real550A
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, Florida

Post by real550A »

Looks pretty tidy, although a repower is a large undertaking financially. If you can buy it right, it looks like a great start! (the barstools won't cut it in rough water!) Post more pics after you buy it!
"FOOL'S GOLD"
1988 27FC #454
157hp Isuzu 6BD1
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Post by deniseO30 »

No decision yet! I'm in that; if I go back to a sailboat I have certain advantages, if I get a power boat I have certain advantages, I do love sailing, but like to get places before sunset!

Fool's Gold tell me about your Isuzu repower? I've yet to see a A27 running with that kind of power! The one I was on definitely seemed underpowered and it was my first time aboard.
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

I just came across your notes and thought I might join in.

I have an A27 Sport, i.e. large aft cockpit but no aft cabin. I also have the Isuzu engine, and a fair number of Albin 27's were equipped with that engine in the later 1980's, so "Fools Gold" would not be a repower.

To your comment regarding sailing vs. Albin 27 motoring speeds. Most of us cruise between 6 and 8 knots, which is what you should expect with this model because of the hull design. Some Isuzu owners have gotten up to 12, as have I, but it's wasteful of fuel, noisy and impractical. Bottom line is that your expectation of speed should be better than sailing but not any more than 7 or 8 knots.

In looking at the photos, I couldn't tell for sure, but I didn't see the engine hatches. Does this boat have the hatches as well as the wood flooring? If not, the cockpit will be pretty noisy.

Good luck in your decision.

Dick
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Post by deniseO30 »

He made the floor grates out of cedar many years ago he's pretty proud of them, and yes it has the the doors is over the engine only one was open. it was troubling that he didn't have proper seating

and yes I understand the whole speed versus extra horsepower hull speed and all that puts the A27 between sailboat speed and speed boat speed so it's better better than sailboat but much lesser than a speed boat. But I find it interesting that they more than doubled the horsepower in the later models.

Two questions I forgot to ask transmission ratio 2-1? 2.6 to 1? Is it a straight or angle transmission I didn't get to look close enough it was hot as blazers out there the other day thank you all!
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

To add to your thoughts, I just came across the Craigslist ad and photos for this boat and noticed it's asking price is $15,500. In my opinion, unless there are serious problems, this is a very good deal for this boat.

Re transmission, mine is a ZF 63A that replaced the original Hurth 360A. Both are 8 degree angled and 2 to 1 ratios. Both of these would be larger than average since the Isuzu engine has significantly more torque and HP than most A27 engines.

Good luck as you consider joining the Albin family.
deniseO30
First Mate
First Mate

Post by deniseO30 »

Yes, going back for a second visit on Tuesday pretty sure I'm going to make him an offer! still not quite sure if the boat is for me it seems a little squirrely on the water but he was nervous so it was probably making me nervous

I do wonder about her suitability on Delaware Bay, Chesapeake Bay, C&D canal, maybe eventually running up to New Jersey coast to New York harbor? Maybe even Cape cod canal on up to Maine? ( now I'm dreaming)

Thank you for the technical information! it's very helpful. I think the owner has all the original paperwork, I want to double check on the transmission maybe save a couple thousand dollars by getting a bobtail if I do get a new engine.
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

deniseO30 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:57 pm Yes, going back for a second visit on Tuesday pretty sure I'm going to make him an offer! still not quite sure if the boat is for me it seems a little squirrely on the water but he was nervous so it was probably making me nervous

I do wonder about her suitability on Delaware Bay, Chesapeake Bay, C&D canal, maybe eventually running up to New Jersey coast to New York harbor? Maybe even Cape cod canal on up to Maine? ( now I'm dreaming)

Thank you for the technical information! it's very helpful. I think the owner has all the original paperwork, I want to double check on the transmission maybe save a couple thousand dollars by getting a bobtail if I do get a new engine.
We had a lot of fun on our Mary Jo on the Chesapeake Bay. We considered a repower but decided there was no need. 4D61s are solid engines. Some parts hard to come by, but American Diesel in Va is very helpful. Have a mechanic do a check on the engine…looks very clean on the pictures!

We’ve taken ours down the ICW twice and plan to spend the winter in the Keys and maybe even cross to the Bahamas! Here are some links of our previous adventures (she is an FC, with her aft cabin removed)

https://ourhappylife.wordpress.com/2016 ... lifestyle/

https://youtu.be/cG4A7HLtKQk
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

At that price, judging the pictures…looks like a BUY!!!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”