• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

4d61 fuel issues

Albin's "power cruisers"
Coonneck
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay St Louis Mississippi

4d61 fuel issues

Post by Coonneck »

Brought my new to me 27FC with the 4D61 engine home on Sunday from Louisiana to Mississippi a total of 36 NM. Half way through the journey the engine started to loose about 100 rpm’s for a few seconds then recover. This happened every few minutes for 3 hours at random intervals. So yesterday I changed both fuel filters and cranked it up and it idled up just fine for about a minute then started running rough and finely quit on me. I wallowed around the engine compartment few 2 hours checking and rechecking the lines, filters and priming the system. Once I got in running I took off across the bay to a ship yard to have it hauled and it started surging 200 to 400 RPM’s. I would slow it down and it would settle out then rev back up every few minutes. Anyone with any insight into this please pass along your knowledge.
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Re: 4d61 fuel issues

Post by Bearkeley »

How were your filters? Sounds like you have gunk in your fuel. If you ran it in rough water, chances are, you unsettled the gunk at bottom of tank. It’s one of the most common issues with trawlers
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Coonneck
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Coonneck »

The Raycor filter had a little debris but the secondary filter was very clean. The rough water theory is interesting but the entire ride did not include a wave over 1 foot other than a few wakes. In fact in was 6 hours of flat calm that started off at 80 degrees and ended at about 93 degrees with 90+% humidity. It was one hot ride I can tell you with certainty.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

IIRC, your boat may have 2 fuel tanks. Are there inspection ports? How long was the boat sitting before you bought it? Without biocide, algea can grow in the tank. It may be clogging the fuel pickup tube in the tank. Just a thought
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Coonneck
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Coonneck »

There are 3 inspection ports. The center one with the sending unit and one each on the forward corners with I assume a outlet and a return. Looks to me to be the original tank. Thinking seriously about replacement with twin 25 or so gal plastic tanks. Much easier maintenance and replacement if needed. Just don’t know how removing the old one will be.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I too would guess you have a fuel problem. To make certain, you could plumb in a temporary tank with fresh, clean fuel. A clean O.B. tank would do fine.
If you have the 70 gallon aluminum tank like ours, it can be slid out into the rear cabin. Not easy, but do-able.
SalishAire
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Olympia WA

Post by SalishAire »

Consider if there is any chance you are sucking air into the fuel lines someplace.
Norman and Clarice Gregory
A 25 Hyacinth
Lacey WA
https://claricenorman.blogspot.com/
Coonneck
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Coonneck »

I just put in on the hard yesterday and plan a full service including all new hoses, rebuilding the injectors, manual temp, oil pressure and anything else I can find to take care of. Previous owner kept great records but passed away a few weeks after I purchased the boat so no one to check with as I go along.
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Nipigon Ontario

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

https://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtop ... 28&t=11784 check the fuel tank pick up tube, some tubes have a screen inserted inside that clogs up and stalls the engine, after the engine stalls, the fuel is vacuumed into the racor and the engine runs until the flow is restricted once again. The same thing happened to me.
Coonneck
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Coonneck »

Thanks Agassiz. I will check it out. Thinking of setting up a remote tank system to eliminate the tank, hoses, filters and fuel pump so I can pinpoint the problem. I’ll run straight out of the remote tank to the injection pump and run it to make sure it’s not in the pump. Then add parts of the existing system to see what part I add causes the problem.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

That sounds like an excellent diagnostic plan -- let us know how you do...
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Nipigon Ontario

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

Coonneck wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:07 am Thanks Agassiz. I will check it out. Thinking of setting up a remote tank system to eliminate the tank, hoses, filters and fuel pump so I can pinpoint the problem. I’ll run straight out of the remote tank to the injection pump and run it to make sure it’s not in the pump. Then add parts of the existing system to see what part I add causes the problem.
No problem Coonneck, hope my experience can help any other Albin Owners. Btw, I also did what you are going to do, ran the engine from a remote tank and verified the lift pump, fuel lines, filters, hose clamps, blew out the fuel lines, (including the main tank pick up tube). I thought the pick up tube checked out ok, air would flow through. I put it all together after I drained the tank by pumping out all the fuel. The fuel I drained, had water and some sludge, so I put 4-5 gallons of methyl-hydrate in and then pumped that out. I thought I had a clean tank, which wasn't the case. On my next trip out,(25nm) I started to lose power, the screen was restricting fuel flow again. Thanks to a very observant fellow boater, who had started investigating this problem, I was asked if I actually pushed a wire through the pick up tube. No, was the answer and when i did try to push that wire through I found the screen, I couldn't believe it. So, that's what happened to me. Good luck on your challenge.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Also checking the fuel vent screen is a good idea, met a fellow that had similar issues and it turned out to be the vent screen was caked shut.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”