• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The dreaded A25 window replacement

Albin's "power cruisers"
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

The dreaded A25 window replacement

Post by Burton »

Our A25 had the original fore and aft windows and they were cracked and leaking. Thanks to all who previously posted. Anyone who is contemplating this job ought to read the posts that have been made previously.

After pulling the old ones out, I noticed that the Swede who cut the aft window opening out must have had a few libations to Poseidon before doing the job, so I straightened out the opening.

It had been noted in previous posts that the new window seal is thicker than the original. It was an easy job to tape the new Margard Lexan
to the outside, and use a tiny spacer the same thickness as the seal to trace the pattern on the new Lexan from the inside. Our bandsaw made the cutting an easy job. By the way, our local glass supplier who is excellent, only had the Margard Lexan in 1/8 and quarter inch thickness. He does a lot of boat window replacement here on the coast of Maine, and would only recommend the Marguard. In fact, he said he wouldn’t sell me anything else.

I had to special order the 3/16, and an eBay seller had the best price. With shipping, it was over 200 bucks. That new Lexan is scratch resistant, and it really is as we dropped a screwdriver on it and it didn’t scratch. Yes to the special tool, plus a rounded-end and polished standard screwdriver, bicycle tire irons, and Dawn Liquid dishsoap! I would imagine we spent about an hour and a half on each window installation. It is such a relief to have those replaced, and what a difference in appearance. Thanks to all and this wonderful website.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: The dreaded A25 window replacement

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Glad it worked out well. Wed did ours back in 2018 in conjunction with topsides paint job. I'd post photos of that project but they're all on my desktop PC back in AZ & I'm now spending tonight in a hotel on Champaign, IL on the way to Tonawanda, NY. But that's another story.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Did you order a single larger sheet and cut both windows from it?
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

Dieselram94 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:34 am Did you order a single larger sheet and cut both windows from it?
Yes. Not a whole lot left over— could not have gotten another window out of it. Btw, I called Perfect Fit to order the new seal and learned if you order online you get the wholesale price which is about half of retail.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Burton wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:25 pm
Dieselram94 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:34 am Did you order a single larger sheet and cut both windows from it?
Yes. Not a whole lot left over— could not have gotten another window out of it. Btw, I called Perfect Fit to order the new seal and learned if you order online you get the wholesale price which is about half of retail.
I have a new seal already, but looking on perfect fits website I don’t see the lexan. So I assume I’ll probably be doing just as you have with getting it from ebay. Any chance your local guy has gotten more in? I’m just down the coast in rockland area.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Any glass shop can get it for you and mist stock it. They use them for temporary repairs, covid screens etc. McMaster-Carr is also an option
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

Dieselram94 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:55 pm
Burton wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:25 pm
I have a new seal already, but looking on perfect fits website I don’t see the lexan. So I assume I’ll probably be doing just as you have with getting it from ebay. Any chance your local guy has gotten more in? I’m just down the coast in rockland area.

So Sorry, did not see your question. I’m sure your done with the job by now. The local guy did not want to order it as he had to get it in large sheets.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”