• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 Deluxe boom and mast rigging

Albin's "power cruisers"
gregor
Mate
Mate
Home Port: petaluma,california

Albin 25 Deluxe boom and mast rigging

Post by gregor »

Yellow fellow album owners 1st off after a few years my mighty album 25 Deluxe it's finally an Oregon in the water. As this may sound crazy to some I'm looking for an original if possible mastand boomfor the album 25 Deluxe and/or possible pictures specs better than which in the owner's manual for a setup to utilize salvaged boom and mast and probably a new tabernacle thing so it can be dropped although I plan to keep it up I'm not going under any bridges As all I have to worry about is my 1st trip out over the bar straight into the Pacific Ocean but the fishing is wonderful I'm told Any help would be greatly appreciated and I hope you're all doing marvelous despite the ongoing Relock down due to Dare I say say the covid thing
My girl thistle is pretty much all original except for the Volvo 3 cylinder Turbo diesel And I'm just an old getting older romantic what can I say Blessings from Gregor
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Album 25 Deluxe boom and mast rigging

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I have the mast & sail rig but it's for the early version that steps the mast just in front of the windshield. The rigging is slightly different from later models that moved the mast a couple feet forward to where it's right over the back end of the settees & adds a compression post which my boat does not have. I plan to keep mine & pass it along to a future owner when time comes to sell our boat a few year down the line.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
gregor
Mate
Mate

Post by gregor »

Thank you for the swift reply My album 25 is a 1977 with the compression post Just forward of the main wheelhouse windshield I'll keep a good thought from other album owners regarding this issue thank you very very much blessings from Gregor
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Check on the Albin 25 27 Facebook forum. Someone just bought a deluxe and was offering the mast. They lived in the pacific NW but bought the boat in MI.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Re: Albin 25 Deluxe boom and mast rigging

Post by Plum76 »

I'm working with a new owner to get ahold of his sail rig when he picks up the boat later this month near me. It sounds as if he has the more forward positioned mast step, as it serves as the forward table support, whereas my hull is an earlier (1970) iteration, so my step location should be closer to the windscreen (I'm assuming).

I'd be curious to hear if the location of the mast step is up to me, or if it's determined by hull model. I think the more forward position would be my preference, but not sure if there is a difference that dictates location. As the other owner hopes to keep his compression mast (to make their table top useable) I will need to source one or build one, as well as any bilge mods to support it. I'm not sure if the mast step is available (they had some plans to reuse for another purpose) but it appears to be pretty simple in form to rebuild (or source from another owner).

Jason
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

James Kenney might be interested in selling his. He is on FB and on here
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

My model is a later deluxe model, no compression post, so I assume it did not have a sailing rig. However, when sanding the coachroof for painting, there became apparent a rectangular outline, probably 4" wide and 8" long (fore and aft). I suspect this is where a reinforcing block was placed in the original layup. It's located about 1.5 feet forward of the windshield. This seems consistent with the mast location on earlier models. Perhaps the earlier rig could work on a deluxe?

I'm attaching two pictures, but the lighting is poor. I used 5" sandpaper discs to help measure its location. You can barely see the outline. With new nonskid and a pretty heavy coat of paint, it's no longer visible on my boat.
20210513_140522.jpg
20210513_140527.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
gregor
Mate
Mate

Post by gregor »

Mine has the compression post and the original deck brass for the gib
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Do a Google search for Albin 25 motorsailor & check out the images tab to see the differences between the two mast rig versions.

Besides the location of the mast step there are differences with placement of shrouds & stays. In the earlier version the forestay attaches just ahead of the forward deck hatch & not all the way at the bow. The side stays attach to the outer lip of the hull-deck joint at right angles to the mast. On the later version the forestay attaches all the way forward at the bow & the side stays attach to s/s chain plate straps attached to the sides of the cabin trunk.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Here is the location of the deck reinforcement on the deluxe and the installation drawing for the delux. I have not seen one for LusAlbin ("Lice Albin" is what they call the slow ones in Sweden...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

That's right where my reinforcement is! 470mm is approx. 18 inches (forward from the windshield).

Thanks DA for your wisdom as well. Please disregard my suggestion of compatibility of sailing rigs between models.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

The mold is exactly the same so if you find tge “ wrong” rig its just a matter of beefing up that corner
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Albinfisher
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Newport, Oregon

Post by Albinfisher »

Hi, I am in Newport oregon and I have the complete sail rig I would be willing to sell you. I have the compression post for inside as well. Sails are in perfect shape and I have all running and standing rigging. I am not planning on using it on my Albin 25 deluxe. Call me at 541-868-6084.
Ted
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

What the early rig version looks like installed.
20180621_191950.jpg
20180702_174747.jpg
IMG_1901.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

I'd be curious to see any interior shots of the early boats, to see how (if?) they are running a compression post, seems like it would be in the way at that location for opening the door over the engine hatch.

The more forward location on the later boats seems much more practical, and I'm not seeing anything that would prevent an older hull from using the more forward location, as long as the forward location precautions were taken (compression rod, deck reinforcement, etc).

Am I wrong here?

Jason
DesertAlbin736 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:04 pm What the early rig version looks like installed.

20180621_191950.jpg
20180702_174747.jpg
IMG_1901.JPG

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”